RuleGraphics

goody14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3286 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some buddies and myself wrote this rule book primer:

http://www.amazon.com/RuleGraphics-Professional-Baseball-Dennis-Goodman/dp/099611050X/ref=zg_bsnr_266218_15

Idea was to take all pertinent information about a rule (rule book language, sample plays, key points, pictures - which by the way were done by a professional artist and are awesome) and put them all on one page.  Then we organize the pages in an easy to follow manner.

Think Infographics but for baseball rules.

Note: this is more of a reference guide and not a book substitute.  To umpire effectively, you need to read the entire book and supplemental materials.  Regardless, I do think this has a place among casual fans, coaches and beginning umpires.

I am looking for feedback on the project.  I have a few advance copies in my possession - if anyone is interested, send me a PM with your address and I can flip you one.  Or, I could send off a .pdf.

Or, even better - you could go and buy one!

I think this is a good idea and a great way to present the rules.  We are proud of the result after over 12 months of working on it.

• Like 2

The language nazi in me says when you write a book, don't start your topic advertising the book by saying "Some buddies and myself..."  :no: when it should be "Some buddies and I..."  :nod:

But congratulations on writing a book. I've been thinking about doing that, too.

• Like 3

The language nazi in me says when you write a book, don't start your topic advertising the book by saying "Some buddies and myself..."  :no: when it should be "Some buddies and I..."  :nod:

But congratulations on writing a book. I've been thinking about doing that, too.

The book was formally edited by pros.  I had one person edit the text and another edit the sample plays.  

The post in this thread was not edited by anyone  :).  It is always dangerous to let a statistician into the wild.

Mr. Umpire - shoot me your email address and I can send you a sample.

Can you make a DVD like www.ruleball.com ?

I had not really thought of it.  I have a face for radio/print so maybe I can find some folks to help me out.

To those that ordered, the delays with Amazon are finally letting up.  I am getting word that copies are starting to be shipped.  

• 3 weeks later...

Got this book a few weeks ago & on 1st scan I liked what I saw.  As I have gotten 25 games into season I have gone to the book as well as OBR/NFHS books as situations have presented themselves & I post game situations to be sure we got it right.  I like the way @goody14 has put this resource together.  I can best describe it as having an illustrated case book w/all relevant rules references for the situation.  Great sample plays and a valuable additional resource for my man cave where I go to get in the rule books.

• Like 1