New Ump- most common plays to focus on

Kushagi
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3312 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As a new umpire, there is a ton of information thrown at us. I have worked hard to study mechanics, and the rule book as well as case manual. My question is this: what are the most common calls that you come across at the HS level?

As a new ump myself, I think I see where you're coming from.  Aside from the -- I'll say "compulsory" for lack of a better word -- calls like safes/outs, balls/strikes, fair/foul, there are challenges that HS kids will bring to the table because they're still developing their skills and knowledge of the game and rules.  And at the JV level, they're coached by people, the majority of the time, whose primary interest and sport isn't baseball.  Which means they'll make mistakes without knowing it.  And the coaches will want to learn, too... at least the better ones will.  So the knowledge gaps I've found in players and coaches are the more obscure rules around:

-  Balks

-  Legal slides

-  Obstruction

-  Youth outside the dugout without helmets

-  Staying in the batter's box with both feet between pitches

I'm going into week four of the season Monday and these are the things I've found myself calling outside of the more "compulsory" type calls.

Thank you Elk,

That's more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I will be sure to review those topics before my first games next week.

And thanks to the previous posters for their willingness to share such pertinent information in the support of this endeavor.

I think the best way to approach being new is to concentrate on becoming consistent on the common things. The other things will happen as they happen, balks, FPSR, etc. But, the common things, if not done properly, will always cause major problems. 

Plate: Get your lock in and stance consistent. Timing and eyes. Work like mad on honing your zone, controlling the flow of the game, do the same things over and over, the same way. Develop your between inning routine, where you stand, count the pitches, brush off the plate. Do it the same every time.  

Bases: Work diligently on learning how work the bases so that it becomes muscle memory (this takes years, btw). Angles, foot work, timing...those are the things you need to focus on. 

Keep a journal, try to learn 2 or 3 new things each game. Review rules based on the plays that happened in your most recent game. Did you blow a call? Analyse it and record it in your journal. Never, ever stop learning and wanting to get better. 

• Like 1

Experience is the best teacher. Along with partners willing to give you good, honest feedback. Try to take something from each partner every time out. Some advice will work, some won't. Be solid on the fundamentals.

• Like 1

As others have said on here...if you are BRAND NEW to umpiring...don't assume that "reading up" on balks before your game is going to help you at all. In fact, it's likely to be disastrous.

Take MPLSUMP's advice, strap it up and get out there and start working.

As a brand new ump, I've got to disagree with you.  Reading up on aspects of the game, then keeping those things in mind during your next time out has proven to be very helpful to me.  For example, @JaxRolo sent me an excellent diagram on pitcher foot placement.  I read up on this a lot, then found new things to look for when on the field.  I like @blue23ll's suggestion of keeping a journal in order to give you some concrete things to work on because as we develop as umps and are able to process the game faster, we'll layer on more complexities.

Please don't tell a batter to keep both feet in the batter's box between pitches.

Maybe one foot?

Sorry, my bad.  Yes, keep one foot in.

The Umpiring Journal is a great idea. I did that my first year. Learned about it on Officiating.com forums. It helped me focus. Gave me clarity when reading rules and mechanics and the forums.

In education they call it reflective learning. It's a trait of critical thinking as well. Super idea @Blue23II

I really like the journal idea! I know I have a lot to learn but I am really excited about learning this part of the game. Perhaps I'll journal here so we can all discuss and learn! Thoughts?

I really like the journal idea! I know I have a lot to learn but I am really excited about learning this part of the game. Perhaps I'll journal here so we can all discuss and learn! Thoughts?

It's personal.  Don't post it here.

I would say that you should only work on about 3 things at once.  Once one of them is mastered (more or less), add another.

And, the journal does not work for everyone (if it works for you, great.  If it doesn't, don't feel that you need to use it because someone else does)

All the ideas posted on this thread are great ones. My only comment about study and reading about how to do "things" is that  for the reading and study to mean anything at all, you have to incorporate that into some action. So, after a game, as I mentioned earlier, pick one rule interpretation that occurred during the game. Maybe you might have kicked the rule, or maybe you nailed it, but go back to the book and read the rule again. Go to the case book (you do have a case book?) and read the cases. Then, pick one or two things you want to work on during your next game and write that in your journal. That way you keep improving and learning. 

I used mine to focus my thoughts and questions I wanted to ask other umpires or on the forums.  I was lucky, my association/assigner worked me with some really good umpires who were willing to help me and I had a very senior member as a mentor.  He was in his 70's and I worked about 8 times with him that year.  Really patient and consistent.  I spoke to him after almost every game that I didn't work with him.

So that's another bit of advice, try to find an accomplished umpire as a mentor and approach him with that in mind.  I also paid a "retired"  AAA level professional umpire to watch me work and give me an eval and I made friends with the minor league South Atlantic League "A" ball umpires coming through town by offering them real home cooked food (I am a BBQ master), beer and umpire discussions.  One came to some games of mine and gave me like 6 pages of written tips and observations.  Really helped.

I think this has been a great thread.  One of the things I would suggest is mastering is your mechanics.  I am not just talking about proper two-, three- and four- man mechanics (although those are very important).  What I am talking about are your strike, out, safe, fair, foul, etc. mechanics.

Now, I admit, at first blush these seem less important than some of the other items in this thread.  After all, you might be thinking, what does it matter what my mechanic looks like...as long as I get the call right.  In reality, it means a lot.  We (umpires) are salesmen (and women).  As we often say, "sell the call!"  I think you will find that if you look the part, the game participants will "buy" your calls more readily.  Umpires who look awkward, who don't "look like umpires," will have their calls doubted (or questioned) a lot more.

I recommend watching good minor league umpires and top college umpires.  Look at how they carry themselves on the field.  Look at how they project their calls, look at their mannerisms, etc.  Then, as I was taught at umpire school, get in front of a mirror and watch yourself make calls.  I still do it to this day. 

Again, I'm not saying that this is as important as rules knowledge and developing a strike zone, etc.  But, I think you will find that it is more important than many other umpires would have you believe.

[Now, to answer the actual question in the OP, this is what I tell the umpires in my high school association every year:  you're not really an umpire until you master and can properly apply Rule 8 (FED rulebook) on the field.  Rule 8 is what separates the big dogs in our association from the "also-rans".]

As a brand new ump, I've got to disagree with you.

We can disagree, that's fine.  Just remember that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'll have to disagree with you again.  Misapplied knowledge can be a dangerous thing.  A little bit of knowledge, on the other hand, is a great place to start.  We all have to begin somewhere.

As a brand new ump, I've got to disagree with you.

We can disagree, that's fine.  Just remember that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'll have to disagree with you again.  Misapplied knowledge can be a dangerous thing.  A little bit of knowledge, on the other hand, is a great place to start.  We all have to begin somewhere.

A little bit of knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing. The premiss being when someone  gains a few facts on the subject, all of a sudden they think they know all there is to know on the given subject and the learning stops, with the person never really gaining a thorough  understanding of the subject. That's the danger of a little bit of knowledge. Using a little bit of knowledge as a starting point is different. That's good. Knowing you have a little bit of knowledge and need to learn more is fine.   

• Like 2