Association problem child was promoted...

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3351 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Does anybody still remember that guy who got pissed at me for showing up to a clinic in uniform and then told me I was calling my strikes on the wrong hand? I just found out he's part of the high school association. 

And he's been made director of junior umpires.

As of today, I am the only junior umpire. 

THIS MAN IS CONSIDERED THE PINNACLE OF KNOWLEDGE IN MY ASSOCIATION AND HE IS MY DIRECT SUPERVISOR FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS. 

"Mama, I killed a man..."

Unfortunately, working under idiots is sometimes a fact of life. Luckily, give these fools enough rope and they usually hang themselves eventually. Maybe you'll get real lucky and it will happen sooner than later.

Oh no no no no this is not your average run of the mill idiot. You weren't here when I posted about my original encounter with this sirrah. 

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/55620-and-you-thought-i-was-bad/

Looks like a character building exercise is coming your way.

Another way of looking at is this:

Adversity does not build character. It reveals it.

Just sayin'

The more I think about working under this guy the sadder I get and the more lyrics of Impossible Dream I remember.

"To fight the unbeatable foe, to bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go! To right the unrightable wrong, to love pure and chaste from afar, to try when your arms are too weary...To fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into Hell for a heavenly cause, and I know if I'll only be true to this glorious quest that my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest. And the world will be better for this, that one umpire, scorned and covered with scars, still strove with her last ounce of courage..."

I'll pray for you....... Crykies!

Your welcome down here for the summer! B)

I'm already headed to Gainsville in August-a character building experience of it's own.

So, how much contact do you expect to have with this guy? Our association has 8 meetings, and attendance at 4 is required of all members. We have brief group clinics at some of them to review some basic mechanics.

If your contact with him is minimal, just nod your head when he tells you something ridiculous, and then go do it properly on the field.

If he's going to be showing up at games and evaluating you, then you're going to have to be more careful. Tell him you're OCD or aphasic or something and you have to have all suggestions written down. His evaluation will either be right or wrong: if it's right, then learn from it. Even poor evaluators sometimes reveal flaws in our mechanics, and the fact that they're poor shouldn't prevent us from learning and improving.

If he's wrong, document it: clip a photocopy from the manual to the evaluation form. If the evaluation goes to someone in the association (assigner or other honcho), then you'll need to decide whether to offer a rebuttal. If the evaluation includes something really dumb ("she needs to stay behind the plate on a batted ball and never move into the diamond"), then that probably rebuts itself. If it's more subtle, or reports something that you just do not do, then maybe some kind of e-mail is indicated.

Having an incompetent supervisor is a real challenge. Be ready for anything!

@maven this guy will be handling my time sheet, my ejection reports, my evaluations, my pay, actually I don't think there's anything he won't be in charge of. I know I have to work opening day with him and I think that's it. He's above me in status though so I think a lot of people would consider it out of line for me to be trying to disprove his evals, but usually two umpires evaluate, one that works with the umpire on a regular basis and one that doesn't.

There's always the opportunity for growth and resolving issues.  Have you considered asking to have a one-on-one conversation with him to let him know how you're feeling and how to best move forward?  Even unreasonable people can have a enlightened moment or two if the situation is right.  My guess is that one reason he acts like he does is because everyone around him allows him to.  You can set respectful limits with him without anger and you can disagree without being disagreeable.  I get the sense that because he initially came on so strong at your clinic, you're anticipating the worst.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  You can actively work with him to a better end.  And he isn't the last person of his type you'll ever have to work with, but I'll guarantee you this:  Become effective at working with him and others like him and you'll find that as you get older, you'll mysteriously meet fewer and fewer people like him.

I promise.

• Like 1

I started working high school ball in Kansas about 12 years ago and I could not stand the man! Mama always said "kill 'Em with kindness" and that's what I did. After a year or so of taking what I thought was abuse, he came up to me and told me that he saw potential but had concerns about whether or not I was cut out for umpiring. So, he put me on crap games and with coaches that had a history of "ruining" umpires. It was all a test to see how I would do and how I would handle situations. Could I keep my head or would I be a normal young hot head and lose my cool. Now, he is a mentor and was a groomsman in my wedding.

Moral of the story is that you have a choice when faced with adversity. Face it head on and learn from it or you can be negative and be miserable. You may think of this guy as an idiot, but he is in a position of authority for a reason. You don't have to respect the man but respect his position. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and have a similar experience as me.

I started working high school ball in Kansas about 12 years ago and I could not stand the man! Mama always said "kill 'Em with kindness" and that's what I did. After a year or so of taking what I thought was abuse, he came up to me and told me that he saw potential but had concerns about whether or not I was cut out for umpiring. So, he put me on crap games and with coaches that had a history of "ruining" umpires. It was all a test to see how I would do and how I would handle situations. Could I keep my head or would I be a normal young hot head and lose my cool. Now, he is a mentor and was a groomsman in my wedding.

Moral of the story is that you have a choice when faced with adversity. Face it head on and learn from it or you can be negative and be miserable. You may think of this guy as an idiot, but he is in a position of authority for a reason. You don't have to respect the man but respect his position. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and have a similar experience as me.

He's in a position of authority because we have nine umpires in this entire town. I absolutely despise his teaching methods and based on his performance he shouldn't be allowed on the field. You know how to pronounce his name? smeet-tee. 

He's in a position of authority because we have nine umpires in this entire town. I absolutely despise his teaching methods and based on his performance he shouldn't be allowed on the field. You know how to pronounce his name? smeet-tee.

Three, nine, 25, 200... Doesn't matter how many there are in your town. Fact is that he is in a position of authority. I have eight full time people in the department where I work and I have two superiors. I may not like them on certain days but I always respect their position because they are there for a reason. I may not like it, but that's how it is. If you want to succeed, you're going to have to work with it. You can do it with an positive attitude or you can be negative and call the guy and idiot and not learn anything from it. Your choice,

We all have to work for a dick wad or two in our careers, work or umpiring. We can't control their dickishness, but we can control how we react to it. Don't let one person ruin what is supposed to be fun. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the real world.  People who don't deserve promotions will get promoted, sometimes they will become your boss.  

Life is not fair.  Umpires who aren't as good as you will continue to get better assignments...it happens.  Yep, it's not fair.  Remain professional and take care of you. 

In the end, that stuff typically isn't that important.

• Like 1

Welcome to the real world.  People who don't deserve promotions will get promoted, sometimes they will become your boss.  

Life is not fair.  Umpires who aren't as good as you will continue to get better assignments...it happens.  Yep, it's not fair.  Remain professional and take care of you. 

In the end, that stuff typically isn't that important.

The mistake that some make is to promote "that stuff" so that it's the most important stuff in the world to them. They measure themselves against what others get instead of against their own best accomplishments so far.

Love every assignment you get and work your butt off. Do your best with what is under your control, and accept the rest. Some of the rest could be better, and some could be worse. :shrug: