Guys:

I was fortunate enough to attend a clinic with four MLB umpires on Saturday. Ted Barrett put it together as a fundraiser for a local Jr College athletic dept. Besides Ted, Alfonso Marquez, Jim Reynolds and Rob Drake were instructing along with numerous NCAA umpires who were former pros. Because this was the first year this was offered the number of student umpires was only about 40.

We got classroom lectures, video reviews, cage work and field work. My HS association promoted the event so most of us were HS umpires. It was terrific, the college kids ran situations for us so we got plenty of reps. Ted was very helpful and Alfonso Marquez was beyond smooth. We ended with a raffle of world series worn gear to raise money for the umpscare.com charity. All in all a really great day.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys: I was fortunate enough to attend a clinic with four MLB umpires on Saturday. Ted Barrett put it together as a fundraiser for a local Jr College athletic dept. Besides Ted, Alfonso Marquez,

Sounds a lot like the clinic I attended a few weeks ago in NY state. You had a few different pros, but Rob was at ours as well. We didn't have a classroom session, but we had a "icebreaker" meet and great type event on Friday night. Rob Drake is one funny guy. Did he happen to do his Joe West impersonation? He was talking about proper timing and was telling us how great it is to work with Joe day in and day out to see exactly what good timing looks like. He did a quick impression of Joe around second base on a tag play looking for control of the ball from F4..Absolutely on point. Mannerisms down to a tee. funny stuff. 

Drake was also great playing F3 in drills on plays at 1B from "A". Leaving the bag early, swipe tagging...and then engaging the umpire to question the call. Great for learning and a fun time.