Fed Rule 2-21-4

guitarplaya2007

Has anyone had their yearly rules meeting yet? I would love some clarification on 2-21-4 and the penalty imposed for such, under OBR this is considered to be "backswing interference" and no out would be called, the way I am reading this rule they are wanting the batter to be called out when the backswing hits the catcher and it interferes with the catcher making a play, I haven't worked in a year or so, this may not be a new rule, I would just like a little clarification here...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

You are correct. FED has made life difficult once again by renaming OBR's backswing INT   "Follow through INT". It is the same act as OBR's "Backswing INT", however, the penalty is NOT the same. 

FED- treat it the same as any other batter INT.

OBR-  batter is NOT out, runner returns. 

Just to muddy the waters a little more, FED now has defined the act when a batter contacts the catcher or his equipment prior to the time of the pitch as backswing INT. There in no penalty for this. Just "time" and everybody reset. 

*2.21.5 SITUATION:

Prior to the pitch with R1 on second, B2 makes contact with the catcher while taking a practice swing.

RULING: The ball is immediately dead.

Even in OBR, it IS interference if the catcher is attempting a throw.

But there are no outs on this type INT in OBR. Batter remains at bat (unless strike 3 of course), and runner returns. 

• Like 1

Even in OBR, it IS interference if the catcher is attempting a throw.

But there are no outs on this type INT in OBR. Batter remains at bat (unless strike 3 of course), and runner returns.

My bad on the misleading OBR statement...although I would allow the attempted throw to retire the runner, he returns if not retired.