Getting Dressed at the field

JasonPalo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3332 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

There have been given many reason not to strip to skivies (this would be underpants) in public but the only reason TO strip are because you wanna do what you wanna to do, when you wanna do it, how you wanna to do it, just because you wanna to do it. Damn the possible personal, professional, and legal consequences to yourselves or others.

What it all boils down to is an occams razor: it's irresponsible to spend 1000s of dollars protecting your bodies when you're unwilling to spend $35 or a few extra minutes to protect your (and possibly many others) good names, reputations, dignities, professions, salaries, and quite possibly your freedom.

###

@Tksjewelry Obviously being around your male partner while he's  changing from work pants to poly wools and putting a cup on bothers you, makes you feel uncomfortable to say the least. I've got a suggestion for you. Let's say you're at the game site and your partner shows up. He gets out of the car, you walk up to him and introduce yourself. You notice he's got on slacks and a shirt and tie and obviously he's got to change. Here's a suggestion....

"Hi, my name is Tksjewelry. Nice meeting you. I'm your partner today. I see you need to change for the game. I'l be over there by my car. When you're ready we'll get into our pregame. "

• Like 7

@Tksjewelry Obviously being around your male partner while he's  changing from work pants to poly wools and putting a cup on bothers you, makes you feel uncomfortable to say the least. I've got a suggestion for you. Let's say you're at the game site and your partner shows up. He gets out of the car, you walk up to him and introduce yourself. You notice he's got on slacks and a shirt and tie and obviously he's got to change. Here's a suggestion....

"Hi, my name is Tksjewelry. Nice meeting you. I'm your partner today. I see you need to change for the game. I'l be over there by my car. When you're ready we'll get into our pregame. "

Can you smell the clean fresh breeze of sensibility here folks?!  :D:nod:

• Like 3

1. The idea that "If you're a female, you're going to be offended in your workplace" is just ridiculous. 

2. The thought of "Well a female official shouldn't be offended if I drop trow in front of her" is equally ridiculous. You aren't the one who gets the decide if someone else should be offended or not. I work basketball with female officials (Working with one tomorrow actually) and I never change in front of them. They always have separate changing facilities from the male officials. I would extend the same courtesy if I worked with a female partner in baseball. 

3. Have some of you heard of social norms? It is socially acceptable and a norm to wear bathing suits at the beach. It is not a norm to stand in a public parking lot in your underwear in front of the public. Perception is everything. While you may think it's not a big deal, others might (And have). I just don't understand why you would put yourself in that situation if there is a room available to dress in. If there isn't a room, get dressed in the car or put as much clothing on before you show up. 

• Like 3

I think it is time to lock this one up. Use common sense when you need to change. Sure don't want to entice someone like Tksjewelry when I have to change from my work cloths (shirt, tie, or suit at times and non umpire slacks and undergarments) to an umpire uniform., I might be hauled away in cuffs. Sounds like she is a stay home mom/wife, nothing wrong with that,who can change at home or who works and has time to change when they get home before a game. For MOST of us, we go from our DAY jobs straight to a field and cannot change while driving. I tried that and it's not worth it due to a couple of near misses with other cars. Now it's time to get back to work on my day job. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guys that wear speedos to the beach aren't looking to harass me that's for sure.

I'm not sure I understand this statement.  Are you saying that umpires changing in parking lots are looking to harass someone?

Your experience of wearing compression pants and having "quick change" isn't universal. I've seen a whole lot of tighty whities this year and for much longer than 6 seconds. From umpires from all over the country. My all time favorites, tighty whities, putting on a jock strap, then putting the cup in, all while eating a hot dog, taking their time to pull up the trousers, national tournament, middle of the main drive out and into the only parking lot for a ten plex with teams, coaches, parents, siblings, grandparents everywhere. This didn't happen once, or even twice. I was shocked no one called the director from the looks we got. Would you want your five year old daughter to walk by my partners like that? Would you want your wife or daughter treated like that at their place of employment? Would you want a man walking around in his underwear, affixing his junk, in front of her at her office? I can tell you that my father, an umpire, and my husband, a steel worker, were more than not thrilled.

I think you make some good points here.  First, tighty whities are just plain wrong - period.  Second, these guys need to get a clue.  I think what we have here is a case of a few idiots who seem to be oblivious and stand around in their underwear making the whole idea of changing in the parking lot a bad thing.  It can most certainly be done discreetly without offending anyone with minimal effort.

Decorum, professionalism, and respect are expected on the field, but the job extends to the cars. Pre-game/post-game discussions are part of the job, and they happen at the cars in most cases. Don't the fans, coaches, and especially the athletes deserve to be shown and see all those qualities exhibited off the field too? (and not always just one games worth)

I agree with this also.  As I said, be discreet and nobody should think twice about it.  But the schools have to take responsibility as well.  If they don't like officials changing in the parking lot, even discreetly, then they need to provide a private area to change that isn't some tool shed in the blazing sun.

I think schools and tournaments should provide shelter for umpires. It would be protecting themselves also. CCTV is already in some major cities, which puts everyone at even greater risk. People today don't sue just an individual, nope, they go after every deep pocket they see. That means schools, districts, organizations, parks and recs, assigners and partners could all be on the chopping block.

Sounds great, as long as it's separate from where the students are changing, and is clean and climate controlled.  Not sure how our association is going to negotiate this with over 85 schools, but I like the idea.

• Like 2

I have to be careful changing at the field with women around.

I don't to hurt ticket revenue at my real job.

You know this brings up a rather good point. A lot of those parents who freak out over half-dressed umpires are probably fine with their kid seeing Channing Tatum shirtless. What's the difference? Oh, I know...

Why are there locker rooms provided for football officials but not baseball?

My guess is that since football is usually played on Friday nights, there are extra facilities available.  Many schools have athletic locker rooms for both boys and girls, as well as gym locker rooms for both boys and girls.  When most baseball games are being played (3pm on weekdays), all of these locker rooms are typically being used.  At 6pm on a Friday night, those gym locker rooms are available.

I'm not sure if freshman and JV football officials also are given a facility to change in since those games are usually played after school as well.  Just trying to think through the reasoning.

Tksjewelry, I'm guessing that you refuse to go to the beach or a public pool given your disdain for people "dropping trow?"

I see people much more scantily clad at the beach than I, or any of my partners get in the parking lot.

If you daughters teacher dropped his pants in class and gave the same argument, would that fly?

It was a serious question. There are guys that choose to wear speedos at the beach or at pools. Since this happens, do you avoid these public places? Is there a difference between a nylon speedo, and cotton boxer-briefs, or compression shorts?

Look, if guys are nuding up in parking lots, then they need to stop doing it. Public nudity is not legal. I show up to the game with my undergarments already on, which means the most you will see prior to the game is me in a t-shirt and black leggings while I am putting on my poly wools. After the game, I change my shirt before taking off my leggings, and will discreetly take off my leggings and cup/jock and quickly put on a pair of shorts. So, at worst, someone who looks in a 5 second window, with just the right angle behind my car door will see me in a t-shirt and boxer briefs (which I do not remove until I get home) which is more clothing than a speedo.

My point is that changing in the parking lot can be done discreetly and quickly and it shouldn't offend anyone that's not looking to be offended. I think there is a ton of validity to the notion that since almost every person now has a video camera in their pocket there is more potential then ever for problems to surface. It probably makes sense to take this issue to the board to see if they can press the issue with the schools. The problem for us here in Orange County is that we are talking about a huge number of schools to address this with. I suspect that it will take years to affect change.

Guys that wear speedos to the beach aren't looking to harass me that's for sure. I'm in flyover country, we don't have beaches. I haven't seen a speedo since 1990 on an old European, and yes, trust me, it was so offensive that it offended a large portion of Las Vegas. Don't think about it, no need for all of us to have nightmares tonight. Now, Would I allow my teenage son to wear a speedo to the mall, to school, to a concert, to work? Hell to the no. That might fly in NYC or LA, but not here. Umpiring is a job, a profession. A profession mostly working with children (and they may not necessarily be from your area), even if you don't, most do. Your experience of wearing compression pants and having "quick change" isn't universal. I've seen a whole lot of tighty whities this year and for much longer than 6 seconds. From umpires from all over the country. My all time favorites, tighty whities, putting on a jock strap, then putting the cup in, all while eating a hot dog, taking their time to pull up the trousers, national tournament, middle of the main drive out and into the only parking lot for a ten plex with teams, coaches, parents, siblings, grandparents everywhere. This didn't happen once, or even twice. I was shocked no one called the director from the looks we got. Would you want your five year old daughter to walk by my partners like that? Would you want your wife or daughter treated like that at their place of employment? Would you want a man walking around in his underwear, affixing his junk, in front of her at her office? I can tell you that my father, an umpire, and my husband, a steel worker, were more than not thrilled.

Now, what about the 12 or 14 year old boy partners with my partner. I see these kids working games all the time on YouTube, so it could happen. Many haven't yet learned the skills to deal that level of discomfort. That whole list of scenarios is an after school special waiting to happen. Just the words "position of authority" in that situation should give good grown men nightmares.

Baseball isn't the only sport going on at the schools. Track, cross country, tennis, cheer leading (yes it's a sport!), golf. And trust me when I say, not all females will recognize that you're an umpire dressing out, and some won't care. You'll be the pervy old man taking his pants off in the parking lot. And there is always a few who will relish the over dramatic, tearfull, attention they would garner off of your misery.

Decorum, professionalism, and respect are expected on the field, but the job extends to the cars. Pre-game/post-game discussions are part of the job, and they happen at the cars in most cases. Don't the fans, coaches, and especially the athletes deserve to be shown and see all those qualities exhibited off the field too? (and not always just one games worth)

I think schools and tournaments should provide shelter for umpires. It would be protecting themselves also. CCTV is already in some major cities, which puts everyone at even greater risk. People today don't sue just an individual, nope, they go after every deep pocket they see. That means schools, districts, organizations, parks and recs, assigners and partners could all be on the chopping block.

Our Association wants us to check in with the Coaches before the game. Usually 1 hour before game time. And they want us in Business Casual when we go out on the field to check in with the Coaches. There is one High School who offers us a changing facility at every game. Other than that, the only time we have a Facility to change in is during the playoffs. The tensions are a lot higher.

@MidAmUmp I agree with you. I would love to have a changing facility for every game. I would also like to work only 2 man games during the season for all levels. Unfortunately it is not going to happen until someone gets offended and contacts CIF about us changing in the parking lots. As soon as that happens, maybe something will change. As it stands right now, all of the Schools are trying to make all sports Club sports. They will have no tie in to the school except the sports will have to rent the facilities from the schools. They think sports cost too much money. And the sports should be supported by the Booster Club entirely. If that happens, the major sports will survive. But a lot of sports wont. We shall see.

Tksjewelry, I'm guessing that you refuse to go to the beach or a public pool given your disdain for people "dropping trow?"

I see people much more scantily clad at the beach than I, or any of my partners get in the parking lot.

If you daughters teacher dropped his pants in class and gave the same argument, would that fly?

It was a serious question. There are guys that choose to wear speedos at the beach or at pools. Since this happens, do you avoid these public places? Is there a difference between a nylon speedo, and cotton boxer-briefs, or compression shorts?

Look, if guys are nuding up in parking lots, then they need to stop doing it. Public nudity is not legal. I show up to the game with my undergarments already on, which means the most you will see prior to the game is me in a t-shirt and black leggings while I am putting on my poly wools. After the game, I change my shirt before taking off my leggings, and will discreetly take off my leggings and cup/jock and quickly put on a pair of shorts. So, at worst, someone who looks in a 5 second window, with just the right angle behind my car door will see me in a t-shirt and boxer briefs (which I do not remove until I get home) which is more clothing than a speedo.

My point is that changing in the parking lot can be done discreetly and quickly and it shouldn't offend anyone that's not looking to be offended. I think there is a ton of validity to the notion that since almost every person now has a video camera in their pocket there is more potential then ever for problems to surface. It probably makes sense to take this issue to the board to see if they can press the issue with the schools. The problem for us here in Orange County is that we are talking about a huge number of schools to address this with. I suspect that it will take years to affect change.

Guys that wear speedos to the beach aren't looking to harass me that's for sure. I'm in flyover country, we don't have beaches. I haven't seen a speedo since 1990 on an old European, and yes, trust me, it was so offensive that it offended a large portion of Las Vegas. Don't think about it, no need for all of us to have nightmares tonight. Now, Would I allow my teenage son to wear a speedo to the mall, to school, to a concert, to work? Hell to the no. That might fly in NYC or LA, but not here. Umpiring is a job, a profession. A profession mostly working with children (and they may not necessarily be from your area), even if you don't, most do. Your experience of wearing compression pants and having "quick change" isn't universal. I've seen a whole lot of tighty whities this year and for much longer than 6 seconds. From umpires from all over the country. My all time favorites, tighty whities, putting on a jock strap, then putting the cup in, all while eating a hot dog, taking their time to pull up the trousers, national tournament, middle of the main drive out and into the only parking lot for a ten plex with teams, coaches, parents, siblings, grandparents everywhere. This didn't happen once, or even twice. I was shocked no one called the director from the looks we got. Would you want your five year old daughter to walk by my partners like that? Would you want your wife or daughter treated like that at their place of employment? Would you want a man walking around in his underwear, affixing his junk, in front of her at her office? I can tell you that my father, an umpire, and my husband, a steel worker, were more than not thrilled.

Now, what about the 12 or 14 year old boy partners with my partner. I see these kids working games all the time on YouTube, so it could happen. Many haven't yet learned the skills to deal that level of discomfort. That whole list of scenarios is an after school special waiting to happen. Just the words "position of authority" in that situation should give good grown men nightmares.

Baseball isn't the only sport going on at the schools. Track, cross country, tennis, cheer leading (yes it's a sport!), golf. And trust me when I say, not all females will recognize that you're an umpire dressing out, and some won't care. You'll be the pervy old man taking his pants off in the parking lot. And there is always a few who will relish the over dramatic, tearfull, attention they would garner off of your misery.

Our Association wants us to check in with the Coaches before the game. Usually 1 hour before game time. And they want us in Business Casual when we go out on the field to check in with the Coaches. There is one High School who offers us a changing facility at every game. Other than that, the only time we have a Facility to change in is during the playoffs. The tensions are a lot higher.

@MidAmUmp I agree with you. I would love to have a changing facility for every game. I would also like to work only 2 man games during the season for all levels. Unfortunately it is not going to happen until someone gets offended and contacts CIF about us changing in the parking lots. As soon as that happens, maybe something will change. As it stands right now, all of the Schools are trying to make all sports Club sports. They will have no tie in to the school except the sports will have to rent the facilities from the schools. They think sports cost too much money. And the sports should be supported by the Booster Club entirely. If that happens, the major sports will survive. But a lot of sports wont. We shall see.

So now we are changing twice in the parking lot for the same game? Not all the umps I know work in a business casual environment. 1

• Like 1

So now we are changing twice in the parking lot for the same game? Not all the umps I know work in a business casual environment. 1

I think it makes a subtle difference in how we are viewed by the coaches.  Greeting them before the game when not in uniform reminds them that we are just regular people - not some ogres looking to hose them during the game.  And greeting them in decent attire gives a good first impression (which you can never get back).

• Like 1

I think it makes a subtle difference in how we are viewed by the coaches.  Greeting them before the game when not in uniform reminds them that we are just regular people - not some ogres looking to hose them during the game.  And greeting them in decent attire gives a good first impression (which you can never get back).

Agree completely on all points. For most of us this is not an issue but I certainly have partners that show up straight from a construction site. If I were in "work" clothes I would rather change to my ump-attire (plug for Jim) if I had to meet with a coach pre-game than an interim set of business casual wear just to walk back to the car to change again. 1

There can be no effective risk management until the existence of a risk is acknowledged, as well as the threat the risk poses. Not all risks can be eliminated entirely. It is what it is.

Many of us are [as a practical matter] forced to change in our vehicles and get geared up in the parking lot. The risk cannot be eliminated.  We just need to be aware of the risk and the threat it poses to us and our associations. That's all.

I appreciated Tksjewelry's posts on the subject. I saw the issue from an even different perspective. That will help me further at practicing effective risk management.  I was once contacted by an employer who had decided to fire a worthless employee who happened to be a member of a protected class (because of either race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, etc.). The employer didn't call for permission. He had already made the business and economic decision to terminate the employee. He just recognized that whenever an employee who belongs to a presumtively protected class is terminated, there is always the risk that employee will sue for unlawful employment discrimination. He just wanted to know if he could do anything else to further minimize and manage that risk.  Same kind of deal here.  There's a risk. Acknowledge it. Manage it. And then go have fun.

Why are there locker rooms provided for football officials but not baseball?

My guess is that since football is usually played on Friday nights, there are extra facilities available.  Many schools have athletic locker rooms for both boys and girls, as well as gym locker rooms for both boys and girls.  When most baseball games are being played (3pm on weekdays), all of these locker rooms are typically being used.  At 6pm on a Friday night, those gym locker rooms are available.

I'm not sure if freshman and JV football officials also are given a facility to change in since those games are usually played after school as well.  Just trying to think through the reasoning.

I agree and add the following...the visiting football team gets a facility to go to at halftime and before the game.  I don't think visiting baseball teams are provided this facility, no 15 minute or more half time.  If your giving the visiting team a facility, why not the officials.

Sub-varsity football, around here, no facility for either team or officials.

Around my neck of the woods I think there are only 3 schools where the baseball field is close enough to the field house, school or football lockers to even change at.  One of these schools allows umpires to change in the basketball lockers.  This school is set up where the gym is at the rear of the school and next to the parking lot for the baseball field.  The other 2 schools that have a field house close by do not allow officials into the field house since there is a combination of track, open weightlifting sessions for the general high school population, field hockey or other events using the field house.  It would be nice to be able to change at work, but there are times where I am leaving a construction site along a highway to get to the field.  My options would be to change in plain view of traffic or find a spot in the school parking lot to change out of my steel toes and jeans.     

Sorry Rolo. Disagree. Everyone is contributing professionally now and some great points being made.

Everyone else, as you were.

I know I said that this should also be locked up, but more good points were made, so let it continue.

Fields don't have press boxes or concession stands? You couldn't ask the people in the concession stand if they could step out for 5 minutes so you could change clothes? When you check in with the coach...you do check in with the coach, right?  :nod:...you can't ask - do you have a place we can change clothes?

When I approached all of the athletic directors in our area I bought up 3 points -

1) Grown men changing clothes in a school/municipal property parking lot full of students and adults with security cameras. One upset parent calling the cops can turn us changing clothes into exposing ourselves to a minor and now you risk your entire officiating career on a judge/jury to determine if you're going to be labeled a sex offender.

2) You provide dressing rooms for football and basketball (possibly even other sports), so why not baseball?

3) Security. 2-fold...being confronted by an irate parent in the parking lot & having a secure place to leave our gear and personal items.

It was like you could see the lightbulb come on. The response I got from several AD's was 1) I've never thought about those things or 2) No one's ever asked, we thought you wanted to dress out of your car.

You have to start somewhere. Again, you should be bringing this up to your association's board and ask why. Sure some fields may not have facilities nearby. I work at colleges where dressing rooms aren't nearby. At South Dakota State you have to drive almost a mile to the field from the gym, but it works.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of people say that they work for the local park department and there isn't anything for them to change in or they work at ball parks without facilities.  Plain and simple here - call up the park director or who ever is in charge of the program and ask them what their risk management plan is for a staff person that exposes themselves in public.  When you get asked about why you are asking, bring up the fact that you have to change in the parking lot, etc.  Parks people will understand legalities and avoiding risk.  They may tell you to come dressed or that they have a place for you to change, etc.  Bottom line, do what it takes to protect yourself from ending up on the 10 pm news cause you were caught changing by some mom with a camera phone.

Well here's my .02 . . .

ALL the good and bad points addressed in this thread should be evaluated by EACH INDIVIDUAL as to THEIR OWN circumstances, experiences, judgement, practicality, convenience or inconvenience, morals, ethics, and COMMON SENSE. Each should be willing to understand AND ACCEPT consequences for THEIR actions to do, or failure to do, what SHOULD BE regarded as REASONABLE and PRUDENT for the time and place.

SJA

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3332 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.