"Time! Thats a balk! Time!" no more

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3364 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Fed rule mechanic change for 2015

In the 2015 NFHS Umpires Manual Page 16 Article 22 it reads:
Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will point and announce "That's a balk!" followed by the dead-ball signal.

This a a change from previous years.

Help me out guys - what's the right mechanic, verbal and visual for FED and OBR? Thanks.

At the HS Level: Unless your area "big wigs" want to be Little Hitlers just point at the infraction, yell "That's a balk!" and after the catcher catches the pitch or batter hits the ball start yelling time.

At any other level: Point at the infraction, yell "That's a balk!" and let it play out. Call time and enforce the penalty if necessary.

And for God's sake, never ever ever never give the ol' "delayed dead ball" signal with your left arm out to the side. I'll hunt you down and hurt you.

• Like 1

Help me out guys - what's the right mechanic, verbal and visual for FED and OBR? Thanks.

At the HS Level: Unless your area "big wigs" want to be Little Hitlers just point at the infraction, yell "That's a balk!" and after the catcher catches the pitch or batter hits the ball start yelling time.

At any other level: Point at the infraction, yell "That's a balk!" and let it play out. Call time and enforce the penalty if necessary.

And for God's sake, never ever ever never give the ol' "delayed dead ball" signal with your left arm out to the side. I'll hunt you down and hurt you.

This works also.... as discussed before ... 99.9999% of the time, ... when you yell balk, ...everything stops anyhow

I thought that mechanic had been deleted from the manual before last season.

I don't use it...but in MN (unless it changed for this year) they still want FED umpires hanging that arm out there.  

I was happy w/ my post season assignment last year so I will continue to not hang my arm out there.

I think for our state if we can train more guys to learn the rules well enough to know when and why they'd hang their arm out there that would be more of a win for our territory than getting rid of the mechanic. 

• Like 1

I have given a dead ball CPR, put a bandaid on one and at this last clinic we held a funeral and prayed for the dead ball's soul. What will the 2015 clinic bring???  :question1:

That poor ball never had a chance at the clinic Jason.

It was almost as much fun as the guy working the beanie at the clinic. I about died. Great clinic and I hope to make another one this yr.