Passing A Preceding Runner

KenBAZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3356 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Utrip tournament last weekend so OBR. R1, R2, BR hits one over the fence in left. BR sprints around the bases and approaching 3B has nearly caught R1. 3BC yells for BR to slow down so as not to touch or pass R1. I was watching closely and was prepared to call the BR out. After the fact I was thinking about it being a dead ball award and wondering.

7.05a and 7.08h seem to be in conflict on this situation.

7.05 Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out,
advance—
(a) To home base, scoring a run, if a fair ball goes out of the playing field in flight and
he touched all bases legally; or if a fair ball which, in the umpire’s judgment, would
have gone out of the playing field in flight, is deflected by the act of a fielder in
throwing his glove, cap, or any article of his apparel;

7.08 Any runner is out when—

. . .

(h) He passes a preceding runner before such runner is out;

---

I think he hasn't done so legally if he passes a preceding runner. 

I don't see any conflict (although I do see your point.)

The base award says "...without liability to be put out..." As we know, he can still be out on appeal for missing a base, or out for abandoning (though he would have to be a real a$$hole.) Likewise, he can still be called out for passing.

As for a utrip tourney, I recommend failing to see this if at all possible. Remember, since the baseline and base-path are different, it is entirely a judgement call by the umpire whether or not there was passing. You can show off your knowledge (you better be able to quote the rulebook) but you'll definitely eject someone too. Probably the 3rd base coach who pointed it out in the first place.

To be clear, I don't recommend making the call, but I would.

Runners executing a dead-ball award must still run the bases legally: they may not miss a base, pass a preceding runner, commit MC (in the codes prohibiting this) etc. The award lapses and they may be called out (on appeal, for some errors) if they fail to run the bases legally.

Let's add a wrinkle (I know this has been discussed before, but it's been a while):

Bases loaded, 2 outs.  B4 hits a grand slam, and passes R1 between 1st and 2nd base.  Only R3 had crossed the plate prior to the passing.  How many runs score in FED and OBR?

Let's add a wrinkle (I know this has been discussed before, but it's been a while):

Bases loaded, 2 outs.  B4 hits a grand slam, and passes R1 between 1st and 2nd base.  Only R3 had crossed the plate prior to the passing.  How many runs score in FED and OBR?

OBR - 1 run as this is a time play (PBUC 6.16)

FED - 3 runs because FED is goofy (Case play 9.1.1 M)

• Like 1

Nicely done.

I keep working 10-12 games a weekend I'm bound to see some situations. The challenge is to figure out how to learn from them. Thanks Fleas, I don't like making grammatical errors.

I can't deny that you'll see some situations, but you're not likely to see this one. I've never had to enforce this rule.

Good job! Thanks for not making me look it up!

I keep working 10-12 games a weekend I'm bound to see some situations. The challenge is to figure out how to learn from them. Thanks Fleas, I don't like making grammatical errors.

I can't deny that you'll see some situations, but you're not likely to see this one. I've never had to enforce this rule.

I had this play this summer. We discussed the possible outcomes. Always good to review these wacky situations. They do indeed happen, and it's great to know what to do when they do. 

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/58975-br-passes-runnerand-a-missed-base/

• 1 month later...

Similar to Merkel's boner, in a way...and the time play/how many runs score? issue could cause a riot, literally. On video, there will likely be media "experts" who don't understand the rule and lambast you on the front page, never to retract their stupidity. A call like that against the league president's son could end your umpiring career. This is why umpires park in the first space facing out.