• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep. I was new. And stupid. Did I mention I was stupid? And I had been many of these kids' summer legion coach and/or football assistant coach and was some of their teacher. I was also trying to get

@Bighouse I don't think you'll be able to sell it on here now. Better try Craigslist or eBay. 

@sri8527, I'm on the verge of doing that exact modification to my XV, as soon as DeltaFlex harnesses are back in stock, and I have a free afternoon. I already have the battleplan laid out – I'm going

Posted Images

​I had it as high and tight as it would go and still got dinged. There is a gap in protection because of the harness, I can not get it as high up as it needs to be,(and its not like im small at 6 foot 3 250 lbs.)  I still like it and will still use it, but need to retrofit a deltaflex on it some how. The shot I took was one in a million to sneak into where it got, but still.

I guess it's just my body type.  I am 5-11, 210 but when I adjusted the shoulder caps and the harness, the neck protection comes all the way up to my Adam's apple and protects my collarbone.  I guess everyone is different.

I'm probably the most vocal endorser of the XV, and I feel for @bighouse, but as he said, it was likely a one-in-million-shot.

I will absolutely concede that, out of the packaging, the XV doesn't fit adequately enough to protect the clavicles. But then again, neither does the West Vest Gold (or an improperly worn West Vest Platinum). It takes adjustment, tuning, training and sometimes, enhancements (DeltaFlex, the big key) to get these CPs fitted individually and properly to provide comprehensive protection.

I wrote extensive procedures advising on how to best train the XV so as to fit ideally... When I attended the MLB Umpire Day Camp, The Umpire picked me out in particular amidst a line of other umpires in plate gear because I had my CP (the XV) set exactly where it needs to sit to provide best protection.

With that said, I concede that the "weak link" in the XV is the harness. This really needs to be redesigned. After the season, I will be modifying my XV to take a DeltaFlex.

Using the picture @‌kstrunk provided, this is where I got dinged, again only because I just cant get it any higher with the current harness. Every other shot I have taken provided adequate protection when it actually hit the protector.

xv.png

​This photo is immediately out of the box. After doing some 'training', thanks Max!!!, and breaking in through 8 or 10 games, that gap has closed considerably. I won't say it's perfect, but it's better than in this photo. I still can't get over the weight, and the breathability. Those holes are like a/c with the slightest breeze in the right direction. For the price of it, you can't beat it IMO. 

I took a collarbone shot wearing a WV Platinum about 3 years ago; it can happen with the best of protectors if you get a one in a million shot. High and inside pitch, batter checks his swing and is late on the ball, it comes off his bat, directly down to the side of my neck and then drives downward into the top of my collarbone. Just about took me to my knees, probably the worst shot I've ever taken. Nothing broken and finished the game just fine although I did have some really nice seam marks on my neck/collarbone the next morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received mine, can't wait to wear it, incredibly light. The delta flex harness has spoiled us all, my mission is to try and retro fit my schutt with the delta flex. I have some ideas but still not sure exactly what I'll do. I do know that I will figure something out though. The delta flex is too good a product not to. 

@sri8527, I'm on the verge of doing that exact modification to my XV, as soon as DeltaFlex harnesses are back in stock, and I have a free afternoon. I already have the battleplan laid out – I'm going to cut away the existing harness, and then attach a D-ring anchor to the rear of each shoulder arch. Yes, I'll take pictures... might even do a YouTube video.

I'll also use some channels to provide feedback to Schutt regarding their existing harness... it really is a waste of time and resources.

Please, too, SRI, read up on the adjustments and training I and @kstrunk and others have done to our XV's, and I can assure you that CP will perform outstanding for you.

• Like 2

@sri8527, I'm on the verge of doing that exact modification to my XV, as soon as DeltaFlex harnesses are back in stock, and I have a free afternoon. I already have the battleplan laid out – I'm going to cut away the existing harness, and then attach a D-ring anchor to the rear of each shoulder arch. Yes, I'll take pictures... might even do a YouTube video.

I'll also use some channels to provide feedback to Schutt regarding their existing harness... it really is a waste of time and resources.

Please, too, SRI, read up on the adjustments and training I and @kstrunk and others have done to our XV's, and I can assure you that CP will perform outstanding for you.

If you do this, I'll have check it out sometime. The harness is the weak link on the VX IMO. I really like everything else about it. Several of my partners have asked me about the VX especially this last weekend with the heat and humidity we had here. 

• 1 month later...

The Schutt XV gets turbocharged!

large.IMG_2406.jpg.01d92eb3f640379a552b9

Yes, that's an All-Star DeltaFlex harness custom fit onto it, replacing the stock harness that was stitched on.

On that note, once you've trained this CP, it should look like this:

large.IMG_2407.jpg.541480ee466b9b0472740

You'll notice that I moved the shoulder ailettes up a bit from where they're attached stock. I found that this frees up my range of motion a bit, but it's negligible. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

From the picture it seems like the neck area and right collarbone are exposed.

In that 3rd photo, the mannequin has his neck turned more than typical. Please pay it little mind, as the user feels quite secure and protected within this CP.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 9/4/2015 at 11:22 AM, MadMax said:

The Schutt XV gets turbocharged!

large.IMG_2406.jpg.01d92eb3f640379a552b9

Yes, that's an All-Star DeltaFlex harness custom fit onto it, replacing the stock harness that was stitched on.

On that note, once you've trained this CP, it should look like this:

large.IMG_2407.jpg.541480ee466b9b0472740

You'll notice that I moved the shoulder ailettes up a bit from where they're attached stock. I found that this frees up my range of motion a bit, but it's negligible. 

May I ask where you got and what type of rivets are used to move those ailettes up?  

Sure thing, @UmpRandy, those are not actually rivets, but Binding Posts. They're also called "Chicago Screws". I can't remember which size I got... I'll have to look them up, but I found them in the local Ace Hardware, and I managed to find them (and the alternate nickname) on Amazon. I used them not only for the repositioning of the ailettes, but to anchor the root straps for the harness modification. Since they're aluminum, they don't corrode. If you want a bit more grab, then put a dab of Loctite in 'em.

41xSOMGnF-L._SL1000_.jpg

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Sure thing, @UmpRandy, those are not actually rivets, but Binding Posts. They're also called "Chicago Screws". I can't remember which size I got... I'll have to look them up, but I found them in the local Ace Hardware, and I managed to find them (and the alternate nickname) on Amazon. I used them not only for the repositioning of the ailettes, but to anchor the root straps for the harness modification. Since they're aluminum, they don't corrode. If you want a bit more grab, then put a dab of Loctite in 'em.

41xSOMGnF-L._SL1000_.jpg

They also have them at Lowes.  I did my XV conversion with a strap from @Razzer.  I had a D1 guy I was working with for midweek D3 game with.  He somehow forgot his CP in his garage and had to use mine. He bought one the next day.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to @MadMax for being the trail blazer in making mods to get a delta flex on a Schutt XV. He inspired me and this is what I came up with.

schutt xv.JPG

By sewing the straps on the padded upper, the delta flex is not permanently connected to the schutt XV. This buckling system was the simplest and strongest way to do the modification. I used two 1 1/2" rectangle rings on each strap attached to padded upper. Really enjoy the CP; took a shot right in the centre a week ago. No problem. Only problem is putting my jersey as I have a slight build. The shoulder pads end up behind my arms when I pull the jersey down.