Schutt XV chest protector

MikeSafari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2846 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone had any experience either with this specific CP or the brand? https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/XV_Schutt-XV-Umpire-Chest-Protector?id=601

Looks alright, but not a whole lot of chatter about it on the Intertubes. Probably not going to be investing in it myself, but it looks like it could be a pretty solid CP.

I don't know why but it reminds me of something an ancient Roman legionnaire would wear...

I haven't had any experience with it, but Schutt does makes quality protective gear..........it does look like legionnaire armor......much the same as the old +POS BB2000 resembled Samurai warrior armor.......guess those ancient armorers knew a thing or two about protection.....

@MikeSafari, I have been a longtime Schutt user and brand warrior, having been one of the first and few wearers of their "new" AiR helmets and shoulder pads back in high school (20+ years ago! gasp!). I wore their catcher's CP (as well as Easton) for baseball all those years as well, until I was issued a matched set of Rawlings gear for 18U club ball and farm-league use. When I "grew up" and became an umpire, I was one of those wet-behind-the-ears newbies that wore my catcher's CP for umpiring (beneath the shirt, thank goodness!). After getting a "stern evaluation review" (i.e. a$$-chewing) by fellow CDP umpires in 41Bravo when I arrived there as a rookie 4 years ago, without hesitance I went right to the brands I knew and trusted: Does Nike make an umpire's CP? No. Does Easton? No, not really. Does Rawlings? Yeah, but it looks like a catcher's CP, and I've already been chastised not to... oh hey! Schutt has a CP that looks formidable!

And that's how I got my first (and current) Schutt AiR Flex Chest Protector.

For a hard-shell CP, it is remarkably light. One of the things that scared me off the (then) Wilson West Vests is they look heavy. They look cumbersome. The pads are so dense I start sweating just looking at them, and they likely are stiflingly suffocating. Back in my athletic days, the phrase to live by was "practice heavy, perform light". I chose the AiR Flex primarily because it had the desired profile of a hard-shell, but the promise of being much lighter. And with its Brock Bead padding and perforated, sculpted plastic plates, it is.

The Brock Beads, arranged in tubes in that "corrugated" manner, allow for much greater airflow than a West Vest -style CP. With some training and curving of the plastic, the CP molds around you. My only complaint about it is that since it's a "one size fits just about everyone", it must have been designed for the least (i.e. "fattest") common denominator. I'm tall, with fairly broad shoulders, and I have the back yoke shortened all the way and the T-straps about as tight as they go, and this CP floats on me. Yes, you read that right... it doesn't lay or languish on your shoulders, or hang off your neck like a welding apron. The main squeeze comes around your rib cage, where the T-straps secure, and the whole unit floats on your shoulders, giving you noteworthy range-of-motion and an unburdened feeling. Back to the lone complaint I have, it creates an imposing silhouette, akin to a middle linebacker. This makes shirt purchasing a duplicitous (i.e. "consider buying two different sizes") affair.

The protection is more than adequate. The shoulder pauldrons and caps shield the collarbone, trapezius and deltoid muscle areas very well. Your ticker will beat confidently behind a curved, hard-plastic breastplate. The vertical coverage on the AiR Flex I (which I have) is decent, but it does leave the abdomen (your belly or gut) unaddressed. At 6'2" with an average-to-long torso, it does cover the diaphragm and solar plexus, but additional coverage wouldn't hurt – which is something Schutt addressed and included in the AiR Flex II. From what I've been told, the plastic is easier to train with the AiR Flex II, too, so it may have a more conforming profile.

The XV, though, is a different animal. My professional opinion is that Schutt is getting serious about this, and the use of EVA foam signifies that. I can't speak for Schutt, but it appears they're improving their lineup so as to rival Wilson's West Vest and All-Star's CPU4000 System 7. Why does Wilson make 4 different models of umpire CP? For that matter, why does All-Star make 4 different models ("Raft" / balloon not included)? One of the things that I admired about Schutt is they make 1 model of CP, and they make it quite well (the AiR Flex). However, there are umpires who refused to consider it an equal to the Wilson West Vests (Gold and Platinum) because of the use of an atypical, unexpected material (Brock beads, in this case)... that, and it was in light grey (the AiR Flex II is in charcoal, but still not black... yet). Why would Schutt issue the XV in jet black? The AiR Flex's are in light grey and charcoal because they are derivatives of their football shoulder pad siblings, which are usually various shades of grey for heat and safety purposes. So, again, why would Schutt make an exception and issue the new XV in jet black? So there isn't the easy dismissal of the CP based on its color under a shirt or plate coat.

I really think the Schutt XV is going to start debuting on college and MiLB umpires. It's got outstanding pedigree and features going for it. It weighs considerably less than the Wilson units, and give much greater range of motion. That price is a major attractant. I would absolutely be willing to try it, and am definitely considering it! Except... though... I have to pause and heavily consider... see...  :shrug:

I tried on an Unequal CP this past summer.  :wow: 

@MikeSafari, I have been a longtime Schutt user and brand warrior, having been one of the first and few wearers of their "new" AiR helmets and shoulder pads back in high school (20+ years ago! gasp!). I wore their catcher's CP (as well as Easton) for baseball all those years as well, until I was issued a matched set of Rawlings gear for 18U club ball and farm-league use. When I "grew up" and became an umpire, I was one of those wet-behind-the-ears newbies that wore my catcher's CP for umpiring (beneath the shirt, thank goodness!). After getting a "stern evaluation review" (i.e. a$$-chewing) by fellow CDP umpires in 41Bravo when I arrived there as a rookie 4 years ago, without hesitance I went right to the brands I knew and trusted: Does Nike make an umpire's CP? No. Does Easton? No, not really. Does Rawlings? Yeah, but it looks like a catcher's CP, and I've already been chastised not to... oh hey! Schutt has a CP that looks formidable!

And that's how I got my first (and current) Schutt AiR Flex Chest Protector.

For a hard-shell CP, it is remarkably light. One of the things that scared me off the (then) Wilson West Vests is they look heavy. They look cumbersome. The pads are so dense I start sweating just looking at them, and they likely are stiflingly suffocating. Back in my athletic days, the phrase to live by was "practice heavy, perform light". I chose the AiR Flex primarily because it had the desired profile of a hard-shell, but the promise of being much lighter. And with its Brock Bead padding and perforated, sculpted plastic plates, it is.

The Brock Beads, arranged in tubes in that "corrugated" manner, allow for much greater airflow than a West Vest -style CP. With some training and curving of the plastic, the CP molds around you. My only complaint about it is that since it's a "one size fits just about everyone", it must have been designed for the least (i.e. "fattest") common denominator. I'm tall, with fairly broad shoulders, and I have the back yoke shortened all the way and the T-straps about as tight as they go, and this CP floats on me. Yes, you read that right... it doesn't lay or languish on your shoulders, or hang off your neck like a welding apron. The main squeeze comes around your rib cage, where the T-straps secure, and the whole unit floats on your shoulders, giving you noteworthy range-of-motion and an unburdened feeling. Back to the lone complaint I have, it creates an imposing silhouette, akin to a middle linebacker. This makes shirt purchasing a duplicitous (i.e. "consider buying two different sizes") affair.

The protection is more than adequate. The shoulder pauldrons and caps shield the collarbone, trapezius and deltoid muscle areas very well. Your ticker will beat confidently behind a curved, hard-plastic breastplate. The vertical coverage on the AiR Flex I (which I have) is decent, but it does leave the abdomen (your belly or gut) unaddressed. At 6'2" with an average-to-long torso, it does cover the diaphragm and solar plexus, but additional coverage wouldn't hurt – which is something Schutt addressed and included in the AiR Flex II. From what I've been told, the plastic is easier to train with the AiR Flex II, too, so it may have a more conforming profile.

The XV, though, is a different animal. My professional opinion is that Schutt is getting serious about this, and the use of EVA foam signifies that. I can't speak for Schutt, but it appears they're improving their lineup so as to rival Wilson's West Vest and All-Star's CPU4000 System 7. Why does Wilson make 4 different models of umpire CP? For that matter, why does All-Star make 4 different models ("Raft" / balloon not included)? One of the things that I admired about Schutt is they make 1 model of CP, and they make it quite well (the AiR Flex). However, there are umpires who refused to consider it an equal to the Wilson West Vests (Gold and Platinum) because of the use of an atypical, unexpected material (Brock beads, in this case)... that, and it was in light grey (the AiR Flex II is in charcoal, but still not black... yet). Why would Schutt issue the XV in jet black? The AiR Flex's are in light grey and charcoal because they are derivatives of their football shoulder pad siblings, which are usually various shades of grey for heat and safety purposes. So, again, why would Schutt make an exception and issue the new XV in jet black? So there isn't the easy dismissal of the CP based on its color under a shirt or plate coat.

I really think the Schutt XV is going to start debuting on college and MiLB umpires. It's got outstanding pedigree and features going for it. It weighs considerably less than the Wilson units, and give much greater range of motion. That price is a major attractant. I would absolutely be willing to try it, and am definitely considering it! Except... though... I have to pause and heavily consider... see... :shrug:

I tried on an Unequal CP this past summer. :wow:

Holy cow! Are you bored?

• Like 1

[snip... bunch of in-depth text about Schutt CP's]

Holy cow! Are you bored?

I'm in Wisconsin, and with the opening of the snowpark down the road from me last night, it is now officially Winter.

I've got nothing better to do. ;)

• Like 1

If you are large, I am 6' 9" 375lbs, AND you umpire in hot weather the Shutt AiR Flex II is the CP for you.

Intend to order a Schutt XV today and see how it is

@BigUmpire you've got a foot and a couple hundred pounds on me, so I don't know if I really need that, but it can still get pretty stinkin' hot around here in the summer (35C + 90% humidity).

Until I hear some more reviews of the XV I think I'll stick with my original plan of trading my WVG for a longer one.

Let me know what you think of it when you get it :)

[snip... bunch of in-depth text about Schutt CP's]

Holy cow! Are you bored?

I'm in Wisconsin, and with the opening of the snowpark down the road from me last night, it is now officially Winter.

I've got nothing better to do. ;)

I thought Schutt paying you by the word to write that, actually... 

:wave:

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm glad I'm in WI and I have a few months to decide on my new protector. I did a few higher level games where the boys were throwing well. Definitely need better protection. I'll wait on the guinea pigs to give their reviews.

If you are large, I am 6' 9" 375lbs, AND you umpire in hot weather the Shutt AiR Flex II is the CP for you.

Im Curious did you buy/try on the schutt XV cp . do you have any comments to share ?

Im Curious did you buy/try on the schutt XV cp . do you have any comments to share ?

Not yet. Caught up holiday preps. Big year for my family.

Will update all soon.

I'm interested to hear some feedback from those who try this protector out. I've had 3 different protectors over the years, was rotating a WV Platinum and my trusty old Honigs K-1 for 3 years but got rid of the Platinum last year (just didn't like it) and just have the K-1 now. I have always loved my K-1 but it's 10 years old and the padding is going to break down eventually, plus I like to have two protectors in case I sweat one up really bad and have to work again the next night. I ordered another K-1 last year but was very disappointed to see that they changed it dramatically; it's now much, much thicker, bulkier and heavier thereby destroying the very things that made the old K-1 a great protector in my opinion. I sent it back. This Schutt seems like it could be just what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

This CP has always been very intriguing to me. Our friend @PeteReiser reviewed one of the earliest models of this and gave a mixed review http://midwestump.blogspot.com/search/label/Schutt 

I like the thought of it being lighter & more breathable, but.. I have some protection concerns. Granted this review was done 4 years ago with a different model. But I want to keep my eye on this one.

What I am always curious about is if something is really THAT good, why don't more people use them?? 

Brand/product recognition drives a whole helluva lot of purchasing decisions in niche markets.

I gave +POS a try for my mask and I'm reasonably happy with it, but I'm looking at Wilson for my next upgrade.

What I am always curious about is if something is really THAT good, why don't more people use them??

@blue23ll, this is a great exhibit to the power of marketing.

For whatever reason (that I can only speculate about), Schutt hasn't pushed the envelope in terms of marketing its progressively forward-thinking product line. In football – its strongest market – no matter how incredible its best, latest development, Schutt will take second-billing to Riddell, because Riddell has (or, more appropriately, _had_) the highly coveted "Official NFL Supplier".

Who's got a similar standing in baseball equipment? Yup, Wilson. A substantial amount of questions regarding credibility, merit and quality are dismissed when there is an official or celebrity endorsement. When asked which CP to consider using, how many an umpire will first consider a CP that is used and/or endorsed by another umpire (preferably a professional)?

Force3 / Unequal is battling a similar fight. They have an arguably, technically superior product, but it's gaining traction very, very slowly because it doesn't have the Major League and/or (actively) Pro Umpire endorsement. Jim Evans taking a shot with one at a clinic is a big step, but not quite there yet.

Back with the Schutt XV, I have absolutely no reservations about it being a great piece of equipment. If I had a bit more liquid capital, I would have ordered it already, just to try out, sell/pass off my existing AiR Flex CP 1, and use exclusively until I get an Unequal.

I think one of the things that hurt the UE marketing effort was that stupid video with Evans where it looked like the hit hurt Evans. I think about that every time I even consider getting the UE

• 1 month later...