Granting time-out for runners

basejester
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3315 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Granting time-out for runner  

83 members have voted

1. 1. OBR. A runner slides into base and requests time-out, in your judgement for no reason other than to avoid a tag-out in the process of standing. Do you grant the time-out?

When I used to work at the youth level, nothing chapped my ass more than a fielder holding a tag on a runner after he was called safe.  

We get this question asked occasionally at clinics and I say once you have called the runner safe and it's apparent the fielder is going to hold a tag on the runner, call time on your own and tell the fielder to throw the ball back. Most of the time at these levels games are on a time limit so I would advocate saying "Time! Throw the ball back, here we go, remember we're on a time limit." If a coach complains ask him, "Would you rather hold a tag on a runner and maybe get an out, or play another inning?" I guess if he's dumb enough to say he'd rather try to get an out, then oblige him...I guess...

• Like 4

Of course it is, that's what we are talking about. The runner has the bag, and the fielder is hovering over him waiting for him to move to stand up...

No, he doesn't. I'm not protecting him if he can't get to his feet without losing contact.

If he doesn't have the bag then he's out on the tag. So when he slid into the base he was out as soon as he was tagged because he wasn't standing up. That'll be a surprise to 99.9999% of all the ball players.

Rule cite for requiring the runner to be standing on the base.

Of course it is, that's what we are talking about. The runner has the bag, and the fielder is hovering over him waiting for him to move to stand up...

No, he doesn't. I'm not protecting him if he can't get to his feet without losing contact.

If he doesn't have the bag then he's out on the tag. So when he slid into the base he was out as soon as he was tagged because he wasn't standing up. That'll be a surprise to 99.9999% of all the ball players.

Why don't you stick to what I said, not what you think I said?

• Like 1

Because in your post (#15) in the post you quoted you highlighted "the runner has the bag" and you responded "No he doesn't".

And in post 10 you said "As long as it takes for the runner to either be put out or gain the bag" - suggesting that the runner lying on the ground has not yet gained the bag.

Consistent - must be standing on the bag to be considered to have gained the bag.

So if he doesn't have the bag he must be out - yes?

What do you think you said?

• Like 1

Because in your post (#15) in the post you quoted you highlighted "the runner has the bag" and you responded "No he doesn't".

And in post 10 you said "As long as it takes for the runner to either be put out or gain the bag" - suggesting that the runner lying on the ground has not yet gained the bag.

Consistent - must be standing on the bag to be considered to have gained the bag.

So if he doesn't have the bag he must be out - yes?

What do you think you said?

The off season has officially begun.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I read these posts and I need a very stiff drink.

I've done a lot of youth baseball ( and HS and etc) and now I am waiting to take a knee watching. I haven't had to do that yet but it would be fun. For those of you that have to deal with it frequently I like MAU's approach.

• 3 months later...

The runners ask for time because they see it done in MLB and it is routinely granted (except on pickoffs).

It's usually for the BR after doubling so he can take off all of his body armor and walk it over to the base coach.

The runners ask for time because they see it done in MLB and it is routinely granted (except on pickoffs).

It's usually for the BR after doubling so he can take off all of his body armor and walk it over to the base coach.

He asks for time. It gets granted. Kids and coaches see it and think it's normal. Perhaps it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear more from coaches asking for Time than the players.  The players just reciprocate the request. 

I do not grant it.  I simply say "Let's go.  Keep the game  moving."  I am not granting Time b/c the ball then cannot be put back in play until PU does it after F1 gets back on the rubber. 

It happens too many times.  Time granted.  Before F1 gets on the rubber, he attempts a pickoff.  It has to be explained "Can't do that until play has been resumed."  This comes after BU who called Time calls an out.  PU has to fix it.  Easier if Time was never called to cause the situation in the first place.

It seems to keep the pace of the game going.  But, it also prevents bad situations like that.  I have seen it and had to deal with it.  Looks bad and could have been prevented by the BU.