Sign in to follow this  
MadMax

Missing a Touch; Is There a Point of No Return?

I am looking for the correct umpire ruling from an incident that took place yesterday during a 50/70 LL game.  Situation;  1 out, man on second.  The batter steps to the plate and hits a HR.  During the celebration at home, the runner from second fails to touch home plate.  The kid who hit the HR comes behind him and touches home and scores.  The opposing team appeals the play and argues that the runner from second should be out and the kid who hit the HR must go back to third (they argued that this exact play happened during their playoffs last year and they researched the correct ruling 3 months ago) .  The umpire ruled that the kid from second was out and the run scored (I agree).  I have spoken to several other coaches and most of them agree with the umpire but there are several interpretations of the "passing the runner" rule.  Can you please cite the exact rule? 

Just out of curiosity, what if there were two outs?  Does the home run count if the appeal is successful?

Thanks to all, this is a great website.

Not enough research.

7.12 Unless two are out, the status of a following runner is not affected by a preceding runner’s failure to touch or retouch a base.

I am looking for the correct umpire ruling from an incident that took place yesterday during a 50/70 LL game.  Situation;  1 out, man on second.  The batter steps to the plate and hits a HR.  During the celebration at home, the runner from second fails to touch home plate.  The kid who hit the HR comes behind him and touches home and scores.  The opposing team appeals the play and argues that the runner from second should be out and the kid who hit the HR must go back to third (they argued that this exact play happened during their playoffs last year and they researched the correct ruling 3 months ago) .  The umpire ruled that the kid from second was out and the run scored (I agree).  I have spoken to several other coaches and most of them agree with the umpire but there are several interpretations of the "passing the runner" rule.  Can you please cite the exact rule? 

Just out of curiosity, what if there were two outs?  Does the home run count if the appeal is successful?

Thanks to all, this is a great website.

The BR did not "pass" R2. R2 crossed the plate (without touching it, I know), so he is assumed to have touched the plate until such time as an appeal is made.Once he 'crossed" the plate, he was no longer a runner.

These are replies from this post, and they got my brain thinking about an entirely plausible (and probably encountered) situation:

R1, less than 2 outs. Batter hits a HR. While rounding the bases, R1 misses 3B (for the sake of the hypothetical, let's say he misses this one... it could be he missed 2B). 3BC realizes R1 has missed the bag, and is calling out to R1 to come back and touch it. Let's pause for a second, and introduce a fork:

• A) R1 has not touched HP yet and BR has not touched 3B yet.

• B) R1 has touched HP by the time he hears his 3BC yelling to him, and realizes it's directed at him. BR has not touched 3B yet.

• C) R1 has touched HP and about to congratulate BR who has "touched 'em all" and is on the verge of stepping on HP when the 3BC or BR finally gets R1's attention to the missed touch at 3B.

In A, this is easily remedied by R1 coming back, touching 3B, and then proceeding to head to HP. BR may have to slow up and wait before touching 3B for R1 to accomplish his touch of 3B before proceeding.

What I'm most interested in is how B and C are accomplished, if there is a legal course of action. Obviously, the DT cannot make an appeal yet because the ball is still dead, and likely has not been given a new ball by the umpire to make live. Also, let's assume that R1 stays near the plate and does not return to the dugout. What has to happen?

In B and C, R1 can no longer cure his error. See 7.10(b) AR: "(2) When the ball is dead, no runner may return to touch a missed base or one he has left after he has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base."

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jms1425
      NCAA rules (i.e. no dead ball appeals)
      While the ball is dead, the defense attempts to make an appeal ("runner left early" or "runner missed the base"whatever - the play is immaterial to this question).
      Does the umpire responsible for the call a) make a "soft" safe signal (not indicating judgment on the playing action, but denying the appeal, without saying he is denying the appeal), or say something like "the ball is dead" and making no signal or further comment?
    • By basejester
      Little League Major Softball tournament.  Ball is dead.  Defense wishes to appeal a runner missed home.  Coaches are yelling instructions regarding the appeal process across the field.  Offensive coach tells his batter to swing if it's a strike.  Pitcher toes the rubber.  Home plate umpire puts the ball in play.
        Pitcher steps off and then moves about 3' to her left of the rubber and throws the ball overhand toward home.  (None of the players speak during the play.) The catcher moves forward toward the pitcher.  The ball comes in near the outside corner of the plate.   The batter swings at the ball and hits the catcher's mitt and hand.  The catcher is unable to catch the ball.  No runners attempt to advance.  Home plate umpire calls time for injured catcher.   What's your ruling?
    • By LMSANS
      Opening day is tomorrow for NJ HS.  Here is part of an email from our association interpreter, a very opinionated individual...
      We do not go to our partner on a check swing because the coach has requested it.  We can go to our partner IMMEDIATELY if needed.  We all must be consistent in this mechanic all the time.  Coaches have told me and umpires that some umpires still go when requested by coach.  Please stop that and be consistent and the coaches will understand better and not ask.
      While I know that we are not required to in HS, but I have always done it as long as the coach hasn't been a d!ck about it.

• By ofhs93
      Here's an interesting one. Thankfully it did not come to fruition but this is the situation that occurred last night.
      Ball in play. R2 rounds 3rd and comes home...*I* notice he missed the bag on the way...see the 3rd base coach notice it as well but he doesn't call the kid back (play was developing and he was halfway down the line by then)...kid scores. No appeal yet...I wait....opposing coach calls time...I'm thinking...ok here we go lol...he makes a pitching change...I'm thinking...ok...does he have until the 1st pitch of the new pitcher to make the appeal or does the appeal become null when the pitching change takes place? I was going to allow him to make the appeal up until the 1st pitch of the new batter with the new pitcher on the mound...which took goodness...probably 2-4 minutes with warm-ups ect. All the while I'm just waiting for a parent to walk up to the fence and get the manager's attention lol.
      So...was I right that the appeal is solely based on before the next "official" pitch?
    • By MadMax
      R1, R2, 1 out. OT has been running the bases like a merry-go-round for the past inning, and has racked up 5 runs. 1B to 3B, 2B to plate, the works.
      Towering fly ball to F8. Flat sky, so nearly everybody loses sight of it (this umpire, as PU, included), but figure it has to be somewhere towards centerfield. R2 figures that, based on F8's previous body of botched catch attempts work, he'll take his chances and reaches 3B and rounds it towards HP. R1 follows suit, and is nearly to 2B when F8 actually... holy crap how'd he find it?... catches it. "Catch!" voices my BU.
      Now panic ensues. R1 taps on R2 (never breaks the plane of it, just touches on the front edge), then retreats to 1B in a mad dash while F8 throws a... oh no... pond-skipper to F3, who can't field it cleanly and can't secure it before R1 arrives at 1B, touches it, then at the pleading of his coaches and fans heads to 2B (it turns out, these pleas and promptings were to R2 to return to 2B). While this is going on, R2 suddenly figures out he has to head back and tag up, so retouches 3B, and heads back towards 2B. F3 now throws to 2B, but R1 has already "safely" arrived there, and is sitting on it after sliding into it. F6 catches throw with his foot on the bag, and then tags R1.
      Who is (technically) out?
      FWIW, we called R2 out on the touch of 2B by F6 in possession of the ball. I made a point of saying, "That (point at) runner is out!" Was there an out sooner that we missed? Is R2 the one who is the third out or is R1 the third out?