No review?

Camera did have the best angle down the line. But it sure looked foul

No review?

Camera did have the best angle down the line. But it sure looked foul

I don't think you can review fair/foul in the infield, if I recall the guidelines correctly

That's a great question, Jeff!  I think Gibby may have gotten ahead of himself.  He might have forgotten about the "if Fair" part of the rule....<sarcasm alert>

That's a great question, Jeff!  I think Gibby may have gotten ahead of himself.  He might have forgotten about the "if Fair" part of the rule....<sarcasm alert>

LOL! Even though you can clearly hear him say that in the video :D

• Like 1

I don't get sound here at work.  I can't hear any audio.  And, because it's primary TV announcers, that's a good thing.  I get to analyze and adjudge without the bias of stupidity interfering with my thought process.

• Like 1

So here's the instant fair/foul is determined:

Screen_Shot_2014_09_08_at_9_50_03_AM.png

Look where his foot is, and ask yourself how far past his foot his mitt is reaching. That line is 4 inches wide, and the ball is 2.5 inches in diameter. If any part of the ball is over that line when it's touched....

This is really tight. If Gibson is wrong to rule this fair, he's not obviously wrong, given this angle.

The fact that Gibson made no fair mechanic leads me to believe that he was not judging fair/foul when he needed to be.  I think he kind of gave up on it after it hit the ground in fair territory.

• Like 3

The fact that Gibson made no fair mechanic leads me to believe that he was not judging fair/foul when he needed to be.  I think he kind of gave up on it after it hit the ground in fair territory.

I agree. Just a brain fart IMHO

It happens!

Gibson's position on 3BL gave him a great look at it.  I agree with @grayhawk that he should have emphatically given the fair mechanic to further sell the call. 

But, if I said it once, I'll say it a million times...I'm watching these guys umpire MLB games on video while sitting at my desk as an "arm-chair umpire" living vicariously through them. 

Gibson's position on 3BL gave him a great look at it.  I agree with @grayhawk that he should have emphatically given the fair mechanic to further sell the call. 

But, if I said it once, I'll say it a million times...I'm watching these guys umpire MLB games on video while sitting at my desk as an "arm-chair umpire" living vicariously through them. 

Yet they are still human.

...Except Angel. He is Super-Human! :fuel:

• Like 1

I don't think he gave up on it, I think he just brain farted.

I think he may have banged the out quickly because he realized he didn't properly "call" the play.  At least from a mechanics perspective.  Just my $0.02...

If our kiddyball games were on internet video, the MLB guys could watch what we do when this not uncommon thing happens...ha

• Like 1