Infield Fly If Fair

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3489 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't get sound here at work.  I can't hear any audio.  And, because it's primary TV announcers, that's a good thing.  I get to analyze and adjudge without the bias of stupidity interfering with my thought process.

• Like 1

So here's the instant fair/foul is determined:

Screen_Shot_2014_09_08_at_9_50_03_AM.png

Look where his foot is, and ask yourself how far past his foot his mitt is reaching. That line is 4 inches wide, and the ball is 2.5 inches in diameter. If any part of the ball is over that line when it's touched....

This is really tight. If Gibson is wrong to rule this fair, he's not obviously wrong, given this angle.

The fact that Gibson made no fair mechanic leads me to believe that he was not judging fair/foul when he needed to be.  I think he kind of gave up on it after it hit the ground in fair territory.

• Like 3

The fact that Gibson made no fair mechanic leads me to believe that he was not judging fair/foul when he needed to be.  I think he kind of gave up on it after it hit the ground in fair territory.

I agree. Just a brain fart IMHO

It happens!

Gibson's position on 3BL gave him a great look at it.  I agree with @grayhawk that he should have emphatically given the fair mechanic to further sell the call. 

But, if I said it once, I'll say it a million times...I'm watching these guys umpire MLB games on video while sitting at my desk as an "arm-chair umpire" living vicariously through them. 

Gibson's position on 3BL gave him a great look at it.  I agree with @grayhawk that he should have emphatically given the fair mechanic to further sell the call. 

But, if I said it once, I'll say it a million times...I'm watching these guys umpire MLB games on video while sitting at my desk as an "arm-chair umpire" living vicariously through them. 

Yet they are still human.

...Except Angel. He is Super-Human! :fuel:

• Like 1

I don't think he gave up on it, I think he just brain farted.

If our kiddyball games were on internet video, the MLB guys could watch what we do when this not uncommon thing happens...ha

• Like 1