BigUmpire

Mo'na Davis

This little gal is fun to watch and my wife and I are enjoying the LLWS as we do every year BUT.

Clearly she is getting strike calls on blatantly blowing through her stop and quick pitching SO bad that a video of her doing this would be a great training video for young umpires SO.

What would happen if the Vegas team has batters step out and yell “time†every time she blows through her stop?

What should an umpire do?

Hope the best for all and Mo’na.

Side note:

My wife needs to stop berating the umpires in this series. She is absolutely BRUTAL in her assessment of the well-meaning BUT flawed volunteers. This 5’, 110 lb powerhouse is scaring me and the dogs with her lambasting of these guys.

A lot of them don't come to a stop, and why would they need to when runners can't even lead off?

Can they even steal in LL? 

A lot of them don't come to a stop, and why would they need to when runners can't even lead off?

Can they even steal in LL?

Yes, once the ball reaches the batter.

Obviously there is no Balks at this age group. And apparently quick pitches are also allowed since I haven't seen one called.

I'm thinking there's a difference between a quick pitch and no stop from the stretch.

The former impacts the batter more, "before the batter is reasonably set in the batter's box" - but, can't say I've QPs in the LLWS so far.

The no stop clearly impacts runners more - but, with no leads and allowable by rule - it's a moot point.

• Like 1

What would happen if the Vegas team has batters step out and yell “time†every time she blows through her stop?

What should an umpire do?

He should call the pitch.

• Like 3

She's fun to watch and I'll be watching Wednesday night. It's actually been a very entertaining LLWS. Rhode Island coming back to win Sunday night was amazing, tonight's game with Chicago was great. The RI coach's speech to his team after the game had me with tears in my eyes. Vegas team looked great beating Chicago. Texas team are no slouches either. And that's just the U.S. bracket! Ven/PR was a great game, Japan and the Korean team looks great too. The two elimination games Tuesday should be good also. 

• Like 1

You could even call what she does a windup in OBR. A lot of these LL pitchers are going to have to adjust to FED rule if they advance to that level.

Happens every year as they move up to MS ball. It's not like it's a really hard thing to learn.

Obviously there is no Balks at this age group. And apparently quick pitches are also allowed since I haven't seen one called.

I haven't seen any quick pitches.  I've seen the PU stop a pitcher several times when he was about to throw one.

Most of what would be a balk is a "ball" at this level.  Most of the motion-related things aren't illegal though.

Bad for pitchers.

Pitching is rhythm and repetition.

They will get nailed when they move up.

I believe balks should be called in 10u

• Like 1

Bad for pitchers.

They had the CEO of Little League on the broadcast yesterday and he was talking about how having no lead offs helps 12 year old pitchers because all they have to worry about is getting the pitch over the plate.  I suppose he is right that your basic rec player that only plays LL would have a hard time dealing with runners.  On the surface, you would think that means most of the players out there.  However, in my experience, those players rarely pitch.  Coaches put the best players on the mound, and ride those 4-5 players all season.  Right field Ronnie never sees the mound, except in the preseason when it's already a blowout one way or another.

I certainly recognize that my view may be skewed by the region I live in.  9 and 10 year old kids playing year round is so common here that when they play LL, they are clearly the best players, and are the ones that always make the all star teams.  Those kids can handle runners just fine, while pounding the zone with fastballs and off-speed pitches.

• Like 2

Bad for pitchers.

They had the CEO of Little League on the broadcast yesterday and he was talking about how having no lead offs helps 12 year old pitchers because all they have to worry about is getting the pitch over the plate.  I suppose he is right that your basic rec player that only plays LL would have a hard time dealing with runners.  On the surface, you would think that means most of the players out there.  However, in my experience, those players rarely pitch.  Coaches put the best players on the mound, and ride those 4-5 players all season.  Right field Ronnie never sees the mound, except in the preseason when it's already a blowout one way or another.

I certainly recognize that my view may be skewed by the region I live in.  9 and 10 year old kids playing year round is so common here that when they play LL, they are clearly the best players, and are the ones that always make the all star teams.  Those kids can handle runners just fine, while pounding the zone with fastballs and off-speed pitches.

I understand what you're saying, but in the average LL regular season, a lot of kids are getting a chance a pitch (at least around here). It would be difficult I would think to change the LL pitching rules from regular season to tourney season. Just my  cents. Again, I understand your point. We've got plenty of leagues here where 10YO's can pitch from the stretch just fine. But the point remaind LL is supposed to be for everybody, not just the all stars. That's why I advocate having a majors and minors for the 12U LL, letting the "B" kids play on the 60 foot field and getting the more advanced kids on the 50/70 fields to play real baseball. 

• Like 1

Bad for pitchers.

I understand what you're saying, but in the average LL regular season, a lot of kids are getting a chance a pitch (at least around here). It would be difficult I would think to change the LL pitching rules from regular season to tourney season. Just my  cents. Again, I understand your point. We've got plenty of leagues here where 10YO's can pitch from the stretch just fine. But the point remaind LL is supposed to be for everybody, not just the all stars. That's why I advocate having a majors and minors for the 12U LL, letting the "B" kids play on the 60 foot field and getting the more advanced kids on the 50/70 fields to play real baseball. 

Which is essentially what they are doing with the Intermediate division.  Many SoCal leagues have even done away with Majors in favor of Intermediate.  In our local district tournament this year, there were 10 Intermediate teams (6 for 12/13 year olds, and 4 for 11 year olds) compared to only 7 in the "Majors" category (3 for the 12 year olds, and 4 for the 10/11 year olds).  I suspect that's one possible reason that NV won the West this year for LL All Stars instead of SoCal.

• Like 1

Bad for pitchers.

Which is essentially what they are doing with the Intermediate division.  Many SoCal leagues have even done away with Majors in favor of Intermediate.  In our local district tournament this year, there were 10 Intermediate teams (6 for 12/13 year olds, and 4 for 11 year olds) compared to only 7 in the "Majors" category (3 for the 12 year olds, and 4 for the 10/11 year olds).  I suspect that's one possible reason that NV won the West this year for LL All Stars instead of SoCal.

I wish we were that far in the INT "revolution". Only 2 INT teams in our district the past 2 years. One problem is the kids that play 50/70 aren't playing LL. They're on the travel teams. The other is the expense to some programs around here to add a 50/70 field or convert an old 60' diamond. 

Bad for pitchers.

I wish we were that far in the INT "revolution". Only 2 INT teams in our district the past 2 years. One problem is the kids that play 50/70 aren't playing LL. They're on the travel teams. The other is the expense to some programs around here to add a 50/70 field or convert an old 60' diamond. 

Field conversion is an issue.  Our local league played majors games on a turf field (I know, don't start).  It so happens that the city was planning to returf that field (which is a soccer field with a LL field on one and, and a big diamond on the other - both with turf + dirt infields) after the LL season ended.  So they just put dirt over the top of the turf where needed to increase the size of the infield.  That field had a portable mound which was moved back 4 feet, and the city installed 70 anchors.  Pretty cheap refurb for one season.  They are re-sizing the infield for the returf job, so it will be 50/70.

PU in Nevada/PA game looks good. He stopped her from quick pitching too. "I will point to you when you can pitch!"

I thought the same thing early in this game, then he seemed to lose his zone/concentration after the 4th inning or so. Weird. Same thing seemed to happen to PU last night after the do-over fiasco.

He looked good early on, but lost his strike zone as the game went on.

Very inconsistent on pitches on the corners and at the letters.

2 nights in a row I've noticed this. Hard for me to comment, since I've never been in front of 18 cameras, a national audience, and 35,000 fans. The thing is, I'm pretty sure these guys haven't been either. Maybe the game starts, the blood is pumping and you're concentrating extremely hard and after three innings or so the adrenalin rush ends and you "crash" or hit the "wall"?

2 nights in a row I've noticed this. Hard for me to comment, since I've never been in front of 18 cameras, a national audience, and 35,000 fans. The thing is, I'm pretty sure these guys haven't been either. Maybe the game starts, the blood is pumping and you're concentrating extremely hard and after three innings or so the adrenalin rush ends and you "crash" or hit the "wall"?

Maybe most of their games have been 4 innings dur to time limits. But they would have to have done some regionals also that might have gone more?