batter advances on dropped third strike

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3537 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v35185581

Even mlb.com gets it wrong! And I will say the Cubs announcers were way better on this - they even showed an angle where you could see the home plate umpire make a clear "safe" sign as the B/R was about halfway up the line.

Even mlb.com gets it wrong! And I will say the Cubs announcers were way better on this - they even showed an angle where you could see the home plate umpire make a clear "safe" sign as the B/R was about halfway up the line.

That was obviously a BOB. He even used the mechanic which we all should be using. Pointing to 1B to award the batter 1B and show him which direction to run. Insert proper emoticon here.

Video doesn't show what U3 did upon F2's request but I would expect nothing. Since PU had a swing U3 did not have to give the "voluntary strike"?.

But I would like to know what the verbal was and the PU did not do the current uncaught third strike mechanic.

That was obviously a BOB. He even used the mechanic which we all should be using. Pointing to 1B to award the batter 1B and show him which direction to run. Insert proper emoticon here.

Video doesn't show what U3 did upon F2's request but I would expect nothing. Since PU had a swing U3 did not have to give the "voluntary strike"?.

But I would like to know what the verbal was and the PU did not do the current uncaught third strike mechanic.

Why would he signal "safe" on a base on balls with the B/R half way down the line? If they had the Cubs broadcast on line you read lips where the PU says "he didn't throw it" to Renteria.

Edit: looking over again looks like I might have missed some sarcasm by you. If that's the case, my bad.

Why would he signal "safe" on a base on balls with the B/R half way down the line? If they had the Cubs broadcast on line you read lips where the PU says "he didn't throw it" to Renteria.

Edit: looking over again looks like I might have missed some sarcasm by you. If that's the case, my bad.

My wife says nobody understands my humor. I think she is correct.

After seeing the video for the first time it looked like the signal given by PU was the same "Yes he did!" signal on check swings.  Obviously here we don't have any knowledge of the verbals he used along with his pointing, but if it were me back there I would have stayed in my crouch a second longer, said "No he did not!" and then came up from my stance and point to 1st with a little less intensity than shown in the clips.  Just IMHO. 

After seeing the video for the first time it looked like the signal given by PU was the same "Yes he did!" signal on check swings.  Obviously here we don't have any knowledge of the verbals he used along with his pointing, but if it were me back there I would have stayed in my crouch a second longer, said "No he did not!" and then came up from my stance and point to 1st with a little less intensity than shown in the clips.  Just IMHO.

Why would you say "No, he did not!" when he went?

There were 2 strikes on the batter, pitch not caught, and a half swing. I think he was trying to do the right thing and immediately ask the BU, "Did he go ?" (runner was in jeopardy)...notice he was pointing to U1 with his left hand. I think he just got in too big of a hurry and asked the wrong BU.

• Like 1

There were 2 strikes on the batter, pitch not caught, and a half swing. I think he was trying to do the right thing and immediately ask the BU, "Did he go ?" (runner was in jeopardy)...notice he was pointing to U1 with his left hand. I think he just got in too big of a hurry and asked the wrong BU.

The left hand is insignificant. I point to the batter with my left hand on potential check swing/U3K situations while giving the strike/no catch mechanic with my right. I would also find it hard to believe that someone that works exclusively four-man would try to appeal through a batter.

he did not ask the wrong ump==you are supposed to point with the left hand and hammer with the rigth

The left hand is insignificant. I point to the batter with my left hand on potential check swing/U3K situations  

So you say that the left hand is insignificant, yet you use it on a play like this...what's you're point ? 

I would also find it hard to believe that someone that works exclusively four-man would try to appeal through a batter.

I find it harder to believe that he was pointing a 1B BOB award. Especially since he should have been appealing the half swing, potential U3K without being asked.

@Matt Instead of sniping two poster's opinion on this unusual mechanic, why don't you give us your explanation.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with your assessment, except an umpire should not point to first base on Ball Four. The pointing, especially in that manner, is usually attributed to "Yes He Did (swing)". It came out somewhat quick and decisively, in that way that PU's sometimes take authority over that call, superseding a potential appeal. If anything, F2 should have made the throw to 1B because he sure didn't catch it before it struck dirt. _Perhaps_ that's where that "safe" mechanic was used erroneously, in that the PU was trying to convey that it was an uncaught 3K. Similar to a "No catch" application.

I'm sure Rizzo had a good view, and a good tan by now, from his recliner somewhere beyond 1B. What a putz.

ADDITION: Oh! Did you notice something else about the PU? He's wearing the new 2015 shirt! No stripes whatsoever!

The left hand is insignificant. I point to the batter with my left hand on potential check swing/U3K situations

So you say that the left hand is insignificant, yet you use it on a play like this...what's you're point ?

I'm saying that you attaching significance to it isn't meaningful, since pointing with the left hand is used in other cases, such as what happened here. 

I would also find it hard to believe that someone that works exclusively four-man would try to appeal through a batter.

I find it harder to believe that he was pointing a 1B BOB award. Especially since he should have been appealing the half swing, potential U3K without being asked.

He wasn't. He was pointing at the batter on a swinging strike. No appeal necessary, since he got it himself

@Matt Instead of sniping two poster's opinion on this unusual mechanic, why don't you give us your explanation.

I didn't snipe anyone.

He was pointing at the batter on a swinging strike. No appeal necessary, since he got it himself

I don't see how that could be, since the batter was awarded 1B on the BOB.

Your remaining choices. PU was :

1. pointing at the batter and saying "no, he didn't";

2. pointing at 1B for the BOB award;

3. pointing to the wrong BU for a half-swing appeal;

4. pointing at the hot chick by the RF foul pole.

He was pointing at the batter on a swinging strike. No appeal necessary, since he got it himself

No, he wasn't. Are you on crack? Everyone else here has mentioned that he was pointing to the batter on the swing.

No, he wasn't. Are you on crack? Everyone else here has mentioned that he was pointing to the batter on the swing.

If the batter was out and not on 1B, I'd agree that he was pointing to the swing. But then why was the Cubs manager (defense) arguing with PU and the batter on 1B at the end ? Rerun the video. Why is the batter still at 1B ?

If the batter was out and not on 1B, I'd agree that he was pointing to the swing. But then why was the Cubs manager (defense) arguing with PU and the batter on 1B at the end ? Rerun the video. Why is the batter still at 1B ?

Because it was an uncaught third strike. Scored as K, WP, BR to 1B.

• Like 1

That one is on F2 Baker. 

Cooper got him on the swing (although he pointed with the wrong hand...I've been taught you point with your slot hand.) and I'm sure verbalized, "yes, he did" or something along those lines which I'm sure F2 had to have heard.  F2, even if he thought it was a strike, should have tagged the BR anyway (or at least made an attempt to) knowing the pitch was in the dirt.  F2's situational awareness was nowhere to be found.

That one is on F2 Baker. 

Cooper got him on the swing (although he pointed with the wrong hand...I've been taught you point with your slot hand.) and I'm sure verbalized, "yes, he did" or something along those lines which I'm sure F2 had to have heard.  F2, even if he thought it was a strike, should have tagged the BR anyway (or at least made an attempt to) knowing the pitch was in the dirt.  F2's situational awareness was nowhere to be found.

yeah but you could see he realized that he needed to throw to first and the first basemen Rizzo was nowhere to be found.

@JaxRolo...

When asking U1 or U3 for check-swing assistance, yes, the left hand. When you're grabbing a check-swing strike as PU, it's the slot hand...LH/RHB; RH/LHB.

I believe you.

But I go to several clinics and camps every year. Never heard if it.

• Like 2