For One Last Dance

MadMax
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3513 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

With the season winding down (at least up here in the North, where the other great slayer of baseball is awakening – football), I was struck with a musing... How would you prepare for the final game of the year?

So, I'll present to you the survey question:

The age/skill level is irrelevant. This is the final "game in town" in your hometown. _Everyone_ who's anyone is going to be there. It will probably be televised, too (at least on local channels... don't get ahead of yourself). As the resident Umpire and Baseball Aficionado, you have been asked by the local (VFW, Kiwanis, Key Club, Lions, 4H, whatever) organizers what sort of things you'd like to see instituted into the game and the festivities surrounding it. You've been also given a "gear allowance" to buy whatever gear you need as The Plate Umpire.

Alright, I'll start...

-------------------------

- I'd like the game to be slated to start at 7:05 PM. Beforehand, arrange to have one of the recent War Veterans throw out the ceremonial first pitch, along with someone the community identifies of note (illness-challenged youth, foundation award winner, etc.).

- The game will be 7 innings in length, with a 5th inning stretch (or 9 innings, if the community organizers feel they can handle a game that long).

- I'd have someone request the wonderful old guy/gal who plays the organ in the local church to come down and "play the (electric) pipes" on a synthesizer we have hooked into the PA-sound system. They would be at liberty to insert whatever filler music they'd like.

- There would be a PA announcer, preferably with a voice like Garrison Keillor, Morgan Freeman, John Hurt, or David McCullough. Even-keeled, narrator-esque, not hyped like at a wrestling event.

- I would heavily advocate for OBR, with only a "Continuous Batting Order" modification _considered_.

- 4-umpire crew, of course.

- I would get a Force3 Unequal Chest Protector, and probably Force3 SG's (or Champros), with highly-polished plate shoes, of course. It would be a Nike Titanium mask with tan TW's (or a black Nike NRS mask with tan TW's) to top it off, because I am going to make every effort to rock a black plate coat. If it's just too hot out, then go MLB Black for shirts.

- Miss "Insert Community Name" would be tapped to sing the National Anthem, accompanied by the local Barbershop Quartet (if available... although they might do the 5th/7th Inning Stretch). If Miss "Community" happened to be Carrie Underwood, there would be no objection. The local VFW post would do a complete flag presentation.

- The stadium / ball field would be lit (duh, of course!... there are no time limits here).

- There will be fireworks after.

• Like 1

Baseball wet dream?

Irrelevant? This is a lot for t-ball :smile:

A bit... But I'm tired of baseball (at least around here) going out with a whimper in one pathetic game on a windswept, unlit field with two teams who've had their rosters gutted by football, and I either have to work alone or with a partner who doesn't want to be there longer than he has to and only has a Navy shirt.

The parents don't even _argue_ calls, they're so disinterested.

There _has_ to be better than this! Got any daydreams?

Like what you have above - but I like my gear so ....

Donate the cost of what would be great gear either to the home town heroes for new uniforms next year or to have them purchase some gear for new umpires that don't have any (with he cost of the stuff you mentioned - could buy at least 3 sets).

Don't forget to announce and have all of the veteran's come on to the field for opening ceremonies - every town is proud (and rightfully so) of their war vets.

To heck with the temp - rock the plate coat! It is only 2 hours out of your life, so dress the game up!

I end my season tomorrow with some interstate drafted showcase games for one of my favorite Tournament Directors and with my brother as partner.

It doesn't get much better than that until I work varsity I suppose :smile:

• Like 1

VFW/American Legion Color Guard

Vet recognition, but not coming onto the field. Just rise and be recognized.

HS Band playing the National Anthem (local A/NG flyover)

6 man U-E crew consisting of:

@petepetersonsr

@JaxRolo

@JHSump

@Fittske24

@umpireinchief

All with memorial "MST" patch on our pro black shirts, and the U-E logo hat

(Rolo and I render the Hand salute with our hats worn during the NA)

9 innings. AL OBR (using the DH) with no mods. Play all 9.

UE hats and UE pro black shirts, numbered and flagged

B/W zig base shoes for all (new)

B/W zig plate shoes for......me (cmon. Am I gonna give up the stick?)

Honigs PW for all (new)

New WVG retro'd

Commemorative coins (1st all UE crew)

7th inning stretch God Bless America sung by local talent

1st pitch thrown out by oldest living local vet

Beer on ice in the locker room for post game

• Like 4

Too bad this isn't really gonna happen. 9 inning OBR no mods. 3 man crew(Myself, Jim Joyce and Jeff Nelson). 7:30 game time, field has lights. Rob Thomas does the national anthem. Flyover by 3 fighter planes, followed by a cargo plane where a skydivier delivers the game balls. First pitch thrown by a local person of importance. Gear: All Star MVP helmet(2500 or 4000 at my level they are equal), Custom 17 inch Douglas with gap protection and delta flex and t-hooks, Honigs K10 Shin Guards, Reebok Field Magestrate Plate Shoes, Light Blue Smitty Shirts, Charcol Honigs PW pants, and Plus POS ball bags with Scrapper Brush. 7th Inning Stretch, The Fray does a rock version "Take Me Out to The Ball Game". Post Game meal(gotta eat after a big game) catered by Texas Road House, Ruby Tuesday's, Martins, IBC, and Macks. Post Game Fireworks and Laser Light Show. PA Announcer would be Charlie Rose(news guy), Broadcast crew would be Gary Thorne, Mike Bordick, and Laz Diaz.

Okay I'll bite.

4 man crew with Greg Gibson, Jeff Kellogg, and @tjwoelfel13. Pre-game clinic with Greg and Jeff. 7:10 game on outdoor field. OBR. First pitch thrown by Hilary Lindh. All-Star System 7 helmet, new Zigs, WV plat shins and WV gold CP. Blue shirts and PW pants. Since I can't wear 53, I wear 38 in honor of MST. National anthem by local punk-indie-rock band Slush Not Snow, who also performs during the 7th inning stretch. I somehow don't pass out at the thought of working with Gibby. Dinner by Arctic Roadrunner. Preferably at Safeco Field. Post-game fireworks and sing-along. Raul Ibañez DHs. Close play at the plate that gets reviewed but upheld. Just for fun, TJ gets a cup shot while working second. Vin Scully announces. All of my peers are sick with jealousy.

And I get Greg's autograph, dammit.

• Like 2

6 man crew with @Rulekeep, Jeff Kellog, Tim Mcclelland, @Umpire in Chief, and Blaine May.

7:10 game time at Kauffman Stadium. With full 9 innings and full AL OBR

Olathe North Highschool Band does the National Anthem and the choir gets the 7th inning stretch. 

Post game fireworks and laser show. 

Pre game meal donated by Oklahoma Joe's BBQ.  

Vin Scully and Denny Matthews broadcast.  

The-Announcer-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named shall NOT be allowed within a ten mile radius of the stadium.

I avoid getting hit and call a good game.

VFW/American Legion Color Guard

Vet recognition, but not coming onto the field. Just rise and be recognized.

HS Band playing the National Anthem (local A/NG flyover)

6 man U-E crew consisting of:

@petepetersonsr

@JaxRolo

@JHSump

@Fittske24

@umpireinchief

All with memorial "MST" patch on our pro black shirts, and the U-E logo hat

(Rolo and I render the Hand salute with our hats worn during the NA)

9 innings. AL OBR (using the DH) with no mods. Play all 9.

UE hats and UE pro black shirts, numbered and flagged

B/W zig base shoes for all (new)

B/W zig plate shoes for......me (cmon. Am I gonna give up the stick?)

Honigs PW for all (new)

New WVG retro'd

Commemorative coins (1st all UE crew)

7th inning stretch God Bless America sung by local talent

1st pitch thrown out by oldest living local vet

Beer on ice in the locker room for post game

One more thing.

All umpires wear MSTs number.