2 Occupying Same Base ?

BuckeyeMike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3521 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had this the other night:

R2, R3, 1 Out.

R3 gets in a rundown between 3B/Home.  R2 goes ahead and advances to 3B and is standing on the bag.

They get the out on the rundown, but during post-game discussion, my partner states that had they thrown to 3B and tagged R2 standing on the bag while R3 was in the rundown....THAT would have been an out.

Is this correct?    I know 2 runners can't occupy the same base, but I thought that only applied to 2 runners physically touching said base.

R2, R3, 1 Out.

R3 gets in a rundown between 3B/Home. R2 goes ahead and advances to 3B and is standing on the bag.

They get the out on the rundown, but during post-game discussion, my partner states that had they thrown to 3B and tagged R2 standing on the bag while R3 was in the rundown....THAT would have been an out.

Is this correct? I know 2 runners can't occupy the same base, but I thought that only applied to 2 runners physically touching said base.

That is incorrect.

• Like 1

R2, R3, 1 Out.

R3 gets in a rundown between 3B/Home.  R2 goes ahead and advances to 3B and is standing on the bag.

Is this correct?    I know 2 runners can't occupy the same base, but I thought that only applied to 2 runners physically touching said base.

Not correct!

No. Even though he has legally acquired 3B, he must vacate if original R3 should reclaim rights to the bag. But, with only one runner on a base, they are never out if tagged (save for some weird appeal type issue. Not the op.)

R2, R3, 1 Out.

At a minimum, your partner's statement deserves Sheldon's look of haughty derision:

tumblr_l31hr6RBzG1qzcg3s.gif

• Like 3

Think of this play:

R2 and R3 with no outs. Batter hits a high pop up to short left field. Both runners go half way not knowing if it will be caught or not. The ball drops and both runners advance, but R3 stumbles. R2 slides in just before the tag at third but he's tagged while in contact with third before R3 can touch home. Under your partner's scenario, R2 should be called out.

Umm, hellll no!

• Like 1

Is it the same in NFHS, NCAA and OBR rule-sets ? This guy does college ball and claims he's called this before, and that it was confirmed to be correct. I still couldn't believe it.

It is the same all around the world!

Even at the T-ball level where @Jock works/babysits

There's an extremely long and silly thread on this exact topic, which you could read if you're so inclined.

Cliff notes:

Rules lawyering aside, of course he's not out, as everyone who's ever watched a baseball game knows.

Everyone EXCEPT OP's partner...

• Like 1

No. Even though he has legally acquired 3B, he must vacate if original R3 should reclaim rights to the bag. But, with only one runner on a base, they are never out if tagged (save for some weird appeal type issue. Not the op.)

This statement is not 100% true.  A runner is out on a tag while on the base if forced to vacate the base by virtue of the batter becoming a runner. 

• Like 1

This statement is not 100% true.  A runner is out on a tag while on the base if forced to vacate the base by virtue of the batter becoming a runner.

off topic but true. But that's not the op and not to what I was referring