Oakley sunglasses not worth the dough

UmpRandy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2843 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What do you guys do when the sun goes down and you've got the plate? There's not to many places to put your $200 sunglasses where they won't get scratched or smashed. I have a set of photochromatic polarized lenses but last night things were getting pretty dark. The crappy field I was at was oriented so I was staring directly into the sun for 5 innings until it set below the tree line. I was thinking I should have worn two ball bags and put my Oakley hardcase in my left ball bag.

I have put the hard case in my other ball bag, but I wouldn't recommend it if guys are throwing hard and you need to hold more baseballs.  If im doing a crap game, ill swap out my lenses for some crappy scratched ones that I keep around and just put them in the ball bag when it get too dark.  I have to wear prescription flak jackets when with the lights come on or its extremely overcast, everything gets real fuzzy.  I wore them when I pitched in college.  This sometimes becomes a dilemma because I have to judge whether or not to start with them on or not, because I am not leaving them on the ground somewhere, case or not.  It's not really a big deal, because although its still bright at seven or seven thirty, it's not as intense at noon, so my eyes don't really suffer.  The games that get me are 9 inning 6:00pm games, for those ill put a visor on my mask.  I wear an eight stitch, even with the defender, and I feel the visor still helps somewhat. 

What do you guys do when the sun goes down and you've got the plate? There's not to many places to put your $200 sunglasses where they won't get scratched or smashed. I have a set of photochromatic polarized lenses but last night things were getting pretty dark. The crappy field I was at was oriented so I was staring directly into the sun for 5 innings until it set below the tree line. I was thinking I should have worn two ball bags and put my Oakley hardcase in my left ball bag.

I just hand my sunglasses to my umpire groupies in the stands. Doesn't everyone have them?

I just hand my sunglasses to my umpire groupies in the stands. Doesn't everyone have them?

But if you give them to the groupies, you never get them back, and then you're stuck buying another pair.

I think he (JonnyCat) might be related to his groupies by blood or marriage (or if he was in Kentucky he could be by both---I am killing myself here.)!

They're more of my entourage, and some may or may not be related.

• Like 1

I have put the hard case in my other ball bag, but I wouldn't recommend it if guys are throwing hard and you need to hold more baseballs.  If im doing a crap game, ill swap out my lenses for some crappy scratched ones that I keep around and just put them in the ball bag when it get too dark.  I have to wear prescription flak jackets when with the lights come on or its extremely overcast, everything gets real fuzzy.  I wore them when I pitched in college.  This sometimes becomes a dilemma because I have to judge whether or not to start with them on or not, because I am not leaving them on the ground somewhere, case or not.  It's not really a big deal, because although its still bright at seven or seven thirty, it's not as intense at noon, so my eyes don't really suffer.  The games that get me are 9 inning 6:00pm games, for those ill put a visor on my mask.  I wear an eight stitch, even with the defender, and I feel the visor still helps somewhat. 

Get a pair of prescription transition lenses for the Flack Jacket.

Get a pair of prescription transition lenses for the Flack Jacket.

I have been seriously thinking about it.  I need to do more games to make the money though.  That's the only thing stopping me.  I have seen them a lot.  Here is a question for anybody that has Oakley transition lenses....

How is the transition, does it get too dark, too light, are they a weird color, or are they totally worth the money???

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see...

They look futuristic and classic, they are protective, and they do this?

... Oh, and Made In the USA by a Born In the USA company? This is a no-brainer.

Oh, and Made In the USA by a Born In the USA company? This is a no-brainer.

Just FYI Oakley is now owned and operated by the massive Italian conglomerate Luxottica. They own most of the major sunglasses brands you've heard of, including Ray-Ban, and also operate most of the stores that sell sunglasses.

• 5 months later...

After using some old Oakley M Blades for years, just got a pair of Evoshield Evoscopes Matte Black off eBay from bpathletics...They come with those red lenses and a set of smoke lenses....He had them on a Best Offer listing, he took $59 plus $5.95 shipping, I like them, very similar to Oakley Half Jackets...They are still $99 at Dick's Sporting Goods so I think I got a good deal on them....If you look at the video about them on the Evoshield website, they look to be pretty tough.....

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2014 at 7:16 AM, scrounge said:

I absolutely love, love these sunglasses. They're from Jackson Safety, a well-known maker of safety glasses. In fact, these are in the Industrial/Safety glasses part of Amazon, not sporting goods. ...

First of all, ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT...

So two weeks ago I lost my sunglasses, and I remembered seeing this post. Amazing advice, @scrounge. Not only is the vision in them great and the price incredibly low, but they look great, too! I showed them to my 16 year-old daughter(/fashion expert) to ask what she thought. She said they looked great. I asked her how much she thought I paid for them and she took a closer look and said "$100?" Her jaw dropped when I replied "8 bucks".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kylehutson said:

First of all, ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT...

So two weeks ago I lost my sunglasses, and I remembered seeing this post. Amazing advice, @scrounge. Not only is the vision in them great and the price incredibly low, but they look great, too! I showed them to my 16 year-old daughter(/fashion expert) to ask what she thought. She said they looked great. I asked her how much she thought I paid for them and she took a closer look and said "$100?" Her jaw dropped when I replied "8 bucks".

Wish the quotes would let you link to the original. Had to scroll back to see what the rec was.

I bought the Nemesis, I think mostly on that advice as well. I really like them. They're comfortable (I don't like wearing sunglasses normally), really great at helping you see in the bright sun, and easily fit under mask (F3 V1). I got 2 pairs @7.50 each, and will likely wear them as my standard for a while.

28 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Wish the quotes would let you link to the original. Had to scroll back to see what the rec was.

Click the arrow in the top right-hand corner of the quote box :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeSafari said:

Click the arrow in the top right-hand corner of the quote box :)

Thank you, I thought that was reply to for some reason, and remembered it not working before, but probably haven't tried it in a while.

3 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

I just bought the Prisms on the Radar frame and I absolutely love them.  

They actually work pretty well into the dark too.  

If I think I will take them off, I put the hard case in the bottom of my left ball bag. 

Infield or Outfield?

34 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

Infield or Outfield?

The difference was very slight in the color of the mirror. They recently stopped making two. I'm sure you can still get both in sun lenses with no Rx, but I ordered a pr of Rx lenses for a patient last week and Oakley told me they are no longer making infield and outfield...just baseball.