FleasOf1000Camels

Umpires who can't/won't/don't do their jobs

I'm tired of this kind of crap.

Last weekend's tournament (played under NFHS rules...this fact was communicated to all coaches and umpires prior to start).  All weekend long, my partner and I kept sending players back to remove: bracelets, necklaces, earrings, etc.  Players and coaches kept complaining "the umpires on the other field didn't say anything about it".

Day 2 of event, this team is playing their 3rd game.  Catcher is wearing old-school backward helmet with no ear flaps.  "I don't get it, blue.  He's worn that all year, including both games yesterday."

Day three of 4 day event, home team's pitcher takes mound wearing a gray glove.  When I tell him he can't pitch with a white or gray glove, I get a blank stare, followed by the coach's comment "we've played 60 games this year, and four in this tournament...why has this never come up before?"

My partner and I both hear thunder...it's obvious the players and fans heard it also...everybody is looking up at the sky, which is very threatening.  We shut our field down immediately...2 other fields continued to play.   All the while we're waiting for the storm to pass, we keep getting beat up about "why we can't play, but all the other fields are."

I call an obvious balk in a 12u game.  "The umps on the other field just gave warnings on the first balk."

End of rant.

This will always be an ongoing problem for umpires that will enforce rules.

Safety is a good thing. In summer ball I don't dig for buggers on certain things like jewelry.

• Like 3

What necklace? Seriously, how the fk can a necklace be a safety hazard? There's no horse collaring in baseball. I just don't see the problem. However, in HS/MS games, I've always enforced it. My travel games? I'm oblivious. Noone cares. Especially me.

• Like 6

I get into it all the time with coaches when I enforce rules. I also get into it with umpires when I UIC cause they dont know the rules.

I just worked a tournament all weekend as the UIC and my favorites were

- Had to go to a field cause the umpire called a runner out for not sliding and coach went crazy. I said to the ump was there contact? no then he is safe. Umpire argued with me until I told him I had a extra ump and he was free to go. After the game I made him google it and he ate alot of sh!t. He has been calling it wrong all year so now coaches are confused.

- Had to go to a field cause the ump got into it with the coaches. Kid took the mound threw his warm up pitches guess the coach did not like what he saw so took him out. Ump did not know he had to pitch to 1 batter. 

- Saw a kid pitching with a white long sleeve shirt on. I stopped the game asked the ump wtf he was doing? explained it told the coach and the coach says "He has been wearing that shirt all year when he pitches why does it matter?"

- Told a coach he needed to be in the dugout cause him and his AC were standing way outside of the dugout and it was a 14U game. He gets mad cause in 5 years of coaching no umpire has ever made him stay in the dugout. I said well then the streak is over get in the dugout.

I get into it all the time with coaches when I enforce rules. I also get into it with umpires when I UIC cause they dont know the rules.

- Had to go to a field cause the umpire called a runner out for not sliding and coach went crazy. I said to the ump was there contact? no then he is safe. Umpire argued with me until I told him I had a extra ump and he was free to go. After the game I made him google it and he ate alot of sh!t. He has been calling it wrong all year so now coaches are confused.

- Had to go to a field cause the ump got into it with the coaches. Kid took the mound threw his warm up pitches guess the coach did not like what he saw so took him out. Ump did not know he had to pitch to 1 batter.

- Saw a kid pitching with a white long sleeve shirt on. I stopped the game asked the ump wtf he was doing? explained it told the coach and the coach says "He has been wearing that shirt all year when he pitches why does it matter?"

- Told a coach he needed to be in the dugout cause him and his AC were standing way outside of the dugout and it was a 14U game. He gets mad cause in 5 years of coaching no umpire has ever made him stay in the dugout. I said well then the streak is over get in the dugout.

Clarify something for me....

you were walking around and involved yourself in the game? You stopped a game to throw your 2 cents in? Ummmmm.....nope. I would have walked off the field and left it with you. Then made sure you were never "UIC" over a tourney I was working again. Handle this stuff OFF the field between games UNLESS you are asked DIRECTLY to get involved or by way of protest. Until then, you're a spectator.

• Like 10

All fine points by someone that wants to do a great job. My only question to your case points: why do you stop a game and confront the umpires about a pitcher wearing white sleeves? Until there is an issue on-field, let your guys work their game. Coaches don't say anything, then it becomes something that slips by and you discuss it with them postgame.

Don't authorize yourself into a game unasked, even as UIC

• Like 7

HS season enforce everything.

Travel ball. Let it all go except for lightning.

• Like 4

HS season enforce everything.Travel ball. Let it all go except for lightning.

unless a rat brings it up. Then enforce it ALL. Including no buckets in live ball area and no coaches outside the dugout while on defense. No coaches other than base coaches outside the dugout ever. They'll regret wanting me to nitpick.
  • Like 8

@immaculate1976 - I'm curious. What's your official stance on buckets? How far extreme do you go with your rules application?

A supposedly "UIC" coming on the field to question me will find himself with one mess umpire!

• Like 1

@JaxRolo

You'd let it ALL go except the lightening?

Let me get this straight...you're calling a top-notch, competitive tournament...and you're OK with pitchers wearing illegal mitts?... catchers not wearing proper equipment?...you're not penalizing for balks?

Last weekend's tournament (played under NFHS rules...this fact was communicated to all coaches and umpires prior to start).  All weekend long, my partner and I kept sending players back to remove: bracelets, necklaces, earrings, etc.  Players and coaches kept complaining "the umpires on the other field didn't say anything about it".  I wouldn't even pay attention to it.

Day 2 of event, this team is playing their 3rd game.  Catcher is wearing old-school backward helmet with no ear flaps.  "I don't get it, blue.  He's worn that all year, including both games yesterday."  I wouldn't even pay attention to it.

Day three of 4 day event, home team's pitcher takes mound wearing a gray glove.  When I tell him he can't pitch with a white or gray glove, I get a blank stare, followed by the coach's comment "we've played 60 games this year, and four in this tournament...why has this never come up before?"  I wouldn't even pay attention to it unless someone brought it to my attention.  Light tan/gray...not much difference in most cases.

My partner and I both hear thunder...it's obvious the players and fans heard it also...everybody is looking up at the sky, which is very threatening.  We shut our field down immediately...2 other fields continued to play.   All the while we're waiting for the storm to pass, we keep getting beat up about "why we can't play, but all the other fields are."  I'd clear the field...and did myself last weekend when I heard a loud clap of thunder but didn't see lightning.

I call an obvious balk in a 12u game.  "The umps on the other field just gave warnings on the first balk."  12U balks?  I rarely called a balk in a JV HS game when I worked HS ball.

I tend to keep my finger out of my nose during the summer.  Let the kids play the game.  Keep momma happy.

End of rant.

• Like 8

All fine points by someone that wants to do a great job. My only question to your case points: why do you stop a game and confront the umpires about a pitcher wearing white sleeves? Until there is an issue on-field, let your guys work their game. Coaches don't say anything, then it becomes something that slips by and you discuss it with them postgame.

Don't authorize yourself into a game unasked, even as UIC

Let me clear this up a little

I had a AC come up and tell me there was a problem on field 4 and the HC wanted to see me. While walking down I saw the pitcher with white sleeves on and asked the AC if that was what the HC wanted to see me about? He said yes they tried to tell the umpire he could not wear them and the umpire told them they were wrong and he could wear white sleeves. I walked toward the dugout and the AC said to the HC he already knows and is going to fix it. I stopped the game cause the white sleeves hide the ball and if I waited it would be cheating every batter that had to face him. 

I tend to ramble on so I try to keep it simple when I post to avoid typing a book. 

As others have said...unless the field is on fire, let the umpires on the field handle their own problems.  Deal with issues after the game in private.  You start inserting yourself in the game and every Tom, Dick and Harry and their wives are going to come running to you to resolve everything including a safe/out call they don't like at 1st base.

• Like 9

As others have said...unless the field is on fire, let the umpires on the field handle their own problems.  Deal with issues after the game in private.  You start inserting yourself in the game and every Tom, Dick and Harry and their wives are going to come running to you to resolve everything including a safe/out call they don't like at 1st base.

Don't even get involved then. That's a TD issue. Protests and injured/ill umpires--that's all you do.

• Like 1

@JaxRolo You'd let it ALL go except the lightening? Let me get this straight...you're calling a top-notch, competitive tournament...and you're OK with pitchers wearing illegal mitts?... catchers not wearing proper equipment?...you're not penalizing for balks?
It's called game management and doing what are supervisors tell is to do. If somebody complains we then address it. As far as balks they tell us if we are calling a lot of balks then we are doing something wrong. At these levels coaches and layers know what's going on. Don't be "that guy" or you won't last long.
  • Like 2

I can understand letting the other stuff go as I would as well, but never balks.  All the other stuff I can justify that it has nothing to due with competitive advantage.  But not calling obvious balks will bite you in the ass when the opposing coach notices it and then you appear to be an umpire that doesn't know what a balk is.

Last weekend's tournament (played under NFHS rules...this fact was communicated to all coaches and umpires prior to start).  All weekend long, my partner and I kept sending players back to remove: bracelets, necklaces, earrings, etc.  Players and coaches kept complaining "the umpires on the other field didn't say anything about it".

Day 2 of event, this team is playing their 3rd game.  Catcher is wearing old-school backward helmet with no ear flaps.  "I don't get it, blue.  He's worn that all year, including both games yesterday."

Day three of 4 day event, home team's pitcher takes mound wearing a gray glove.  When I tell him he can't pitch with a white or gray glove, I get a blank stare, followed by the coach's comment "we've played 60 games this year, and four in this tournament...why has this never come up before?"

My partner and I both hear thunder...it's obvious the players and fans heard it also...everybody is looking up at the sky, which is very threatening.  We shut our field down immediately...2 other fields continued to play.   All the while we're waiting for the storm to pass, we keep getting beat up about "why we can't play, but all the other fields are."

I call an obvious balk in a 12u game.  "The umps on the other field just gave warnings on the first balk."

End of rant.

I will respond under my Modified OBR USSSA.

Unless it is crazy, I will not say anything about jewelry except the pitcher. No necklaces, and no bracelets per OBR (wrist)rule. Also, no batting gloves with pitchers. Clean pitchers.

No skull caps under 13.

I have no problem with young balks. Better knock it off now before it becomes habit anyways.

• Like 1

I can understand letting the other stuff go as I would as well, but never balks. All the other stuff I can justify that it has nothing to due with competitive advantage. But not calling obvious balks will bite you in the ass when the opposing coach notices it and then you appear to be an umpire that doesn't know what a balk is.

Who said not to call obvious balks???

• Like 1

@immaculate1976 -While walking down I saw the pitcher with white sleeves on and asked the ACif that was what the HC wanted to see me about? 

Terrible. Let them tell you what they want. One of these days, you'll get, "No. But now that you mention it....." A coach coming to the UIC for a rule interp is skirting the protest rules. They want your input? Fine. File a protest and pony up the dough. This one would have been upheld. So be it. But you're nitpicking rules and complaining about ppl not enforcing the rules, yet you allowed the rules to be circumvented. Can't have it both ways. :shakehead:

• Like 3

I can understand letting the other stuff go as I would as well, but never balks.  All the other stuff I can justify that it has nothing to due with competitive advantage.  But not calling obvious balks will bite you in the ass when the opposing coach notices it and then you appear to be an umpire that doesn't know what a balk is.

Obvious to me isn't obvious to you and vice versa. I'd balk a kid if he fell off the mound, or if he dropped the ball while in contact. Other than that I'd probably do quite a bit of preventive umpiring on mechanical stuff. It's 12 year old baseball. Talk with the coaches. They aren't gaining an advantage at that age. They aren't cheating. They can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. They're just starting to come into their bodies. Sing a verse from Frozen and let it go.

• Like 9