Favorite type of Combo pants?

mbkcoach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3598 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I too have a pair of the Honig's Adjusters. They've been supplanted by two pairs of Boombah flat-fronts. They're just as heavy-duty as the vaunted Poly-Wools and the GD's. I tried the Smitty's with the expanding waistband, and it's _way_ too complex, even for me. They got returned same day. 

I wear GD, as local mandate states. And I love GD. Flame away.

I like GD also but some college conferences don't. BUT combos are for guys that can't afford 2 sets of pants. Changing between DHs should not present a problem even if you are in a parking lot if you are wearing some tights.

• Like 1

I wear GD, as local mandate states. And I love GD. Flame away.

I like GD also but some college conferences don't. BUT combos are for guys that can't afford 2 sets of pants. Changing between DHs should not present a problem even if you are in a parking lot if you are wearing some tights.

im gonna go out on a limb and say that Jocko can afford two pair of pants. I wear combo pants almost all of the time. I bought combos the 1st time out and never felt out of place in them at either spot and have stayed with them. I bought a paid of used polywool plates last year, but was over-optimistic on the size and had to lose a few pounds..i did wear them last week and loved them ...but, in my opinion, combo pants are way down on the list of things to knock  

So you guys that wear only plate and base pants.  Do you do little league or pony league games where you do two games plate and bases?  And walk to your car between games to change?  Im wearing the battle compressions under my pants. Not a pretty site to see me in compression shorts!!!!

So you guys that wear only plate and base pants.  Do you do little league or pony league games where you do two games plate and bases?  And walk to your car between games to change?  Im wearing the battle compressions under my pants. Not a pretty site to see me in compression shorts!!!!

I don't do youth ball, but I do HS double headers, where we switch between games. Yes, I change at the car.

I personally can't stand combo pants. Bought a pair my first season, and haven't worn them since. They're Honigs, I think, if anybody wants 'em.

• Like 1

I too have a pair of the Honig's Adjusters. They've been supplanted by two pairs of Boombah flat-fronts. They're just as heavy-duty as the vaunted Poly-Wools and the GD's. I tried the Smitty's with the expanding waistband, and it's _way_ too complex, even for me. They got returned same day. 

Very interesting - I didn't know Boombah made umpire pants.  As heavy duty as the Poly-Wools - now that is high praise.  I just might have to try these out.  And I love my poly wools.  

• Like 1

Very interesting - I didn't know Boombah made umpire pants.  As heavy duty as the Poly-Wools - now that is high praise.  I just might have to try these out.  And I love my poly wools.  

Please understand, @Keefj200, I haven't owned Poly-Wools, I've only seen them in use, or checked 'em out hanging on another umpire's gear rack. I've had Dalcos, Smitty's, and then Honig's Adjusters. The Smitty's expanding waistband was so heavy and stiff on material, it looked like I was wearing a cummerbund. These are what turned me against pleated pants. I got the Honig's Adjusters because they were running a sale on them and I had sent back all my Smitty's... The Honig's Adjusters are almost tissue-paper thin. After some wearing and washing, the pleating isn't as... "implicating"... but I still don't favor them. I went on a quest for Flat-fronts (find my threads on here), and a fellow U-E member directed me to Boombahs. The material is polyester, but it's just as heavy (to me) as the GD's and Poly-wools I've checked out before.

I don't do youth ball, but I do HS double headers, where we switch between games. Yes, I change at the car.

I personally can't stand combo pants. Bought a pair my first season, and haven't worn them since. They're Honigs, I think, if anybody wants 'em.

size??

I do all sorts of DH's...and I change between games for more than just pants.......Depending on the weather or if I have the dish the first game, I need a change of uniform desperately......I will not reek my way through a second game....or wear wet uniform items.....

If I had the plate the first game, I change my pants, undershirt and jersey, and my socks and shoes....

if I had the bases the first game, I have to walk to my car to gear up anyway.....so plate pants, undershirt, gear, socks and plate shoes....and alternate jersey.....

If it was raining, Ill change into something dry....

I have worn combos in the past and to be honest, IMHO, separate plate and base pants, just fit and look better.........and once I went to PW's.......that sealed the deal....

So you guys that wear only plate and base pants. Do you do little league or pony league games where you do two games plate and bases? And walk to your car between games to change? Im wearing the battle compressions under my pants. Not a pretty site to see me in compression shorts!!!!

mif possible always park with others umpires away from everyone else.<br />

I do youth travel ball.

Tournaments where I have six games a day to keep on time.

I wear combo pants. Sorry college professional and Hs guys.

I could not imagine changing pants when I change into plate gear.. nor the space for two more hangers in my Beetle.

I will buy new pants moving into HS ball next season.

I'm mostly a LL guy, and graduated to polywools 10 years ago, after wearing every combination of drawers along the way. I don't dress like a hobo in "real life", so why should I on the field? No matter the field.

I have a couple pair of GD, and a couple of heather +POS, just in case I have a partner with only those.

I used have to wear combo pants on the bases, when I was racing bicycles. Now they flap on the bases, and look like 15 pounds of potatoes in a 10 pound bag in the dish.

If you've got no choice, I guess the Davis will work, if that's what they wear in your area. Their color really don't match any other brands, though.

I do some Pony and lots of travel in addition to my high school stuff.  I wore some Combo's in the beginning when I was poor, but don't know.  Plate & base are really the way to go.  Go find some metal hangers that take up a TINY amount of room on your hanger compared to plastic ones.

As far as changing - open your front and back door and stand in between.  Then you're mostly covered anyway, and you're wearing some form of compression shorts, etc usually, so it's no different than a bathing suit.

I have always worn plate pants behind the plate and base pants when I'm on the bases.  A while back I bought a pair of GD combo's to wear for calling tournament ball.  I found that on the bases the legs are too wide, just flapping in the wind.  With my shin guards on for plate games the legs are too tight.  They are now my go to pants for bad weather games.  I won't knock anyone else for wearing them, but they didn't work for me.  A lot of guys I work with wear combos.  Maybe if I had started out with just combos it would have been different.     

I have always worn plate pants behind the plate and base pants when I'm on the bases.  A while back I bought a pair of GD combo's to wear for calling tournament ball.  I found that on the bases the legs are too wide, just flapping in the wind.  With my shin guards on for plate games the legs are too tight.  They are now my go to pants for bad weather games.  I won't knock anyone else for wearing them, but they didn't work for me.  A lot of guys I work with wear combos.  Maybe if I had started out with just combos it would have been different.     

Davis clearly stated on his site that his combo might not work with every type of shinguard.

Davis clearly stated on his site that his combo pants might not work with every type of shinguard.