Guest Bob

Tag call

Question

Guest Bob

On a squeeze play my runner was coming home from third. The catcher dove back toward the plate with the ball in their hand. The runner stepped on top of the hand holding the ball. What should the call be?

(The umpire ruled the runner out,)

21 answers to this question

On a squeeze play my runner was coming home from third. The catcher dove back toward the plate with the ball in their hand. The runner stepped on top of the hand holding the ball. What should the call be?

So the runner was touched by a hand with the ball prior to touching the base? Sounds like an out.

Out everyday and twice on Sunday. How else COULD he have ruled it? An accidental tag is still a tag.

Out everyday and twice on Sunday. How else COULD he have ruled it? An accidental tag is still a tag.

Unless it's on an appeal.

Unless it's on an appeal. it's still a tag. Just not an appeal ;)

And if the catcher dropped the ball, there is a good case for Malicious Contact.

And if the catcher dropped the ball, there is a good case for Malicious Contact.

I don't think whether the catcher drops the ball or not has any relevance to whether this is MCMC is based on whether the play was "malicious." If it was, and the catcher holds the ball, it's still MC and an EJ.  If it wasn't, in other words, just an unfortunate event as the runner was trying to reach the plate, then the fact the catcher dropped the ball is irrelevant, just as it would be if the catcher dropped the ball when a runner slid into him.

The only things relevant to MC are the runner's actions.

My reasoning being that you could still get the out.

->This play is an out<-

There needs to be some intent for there to be MC -- and I certainly didn't read any of that into the OP.

My reasoning being that you could still get the out.

No, you can't. If a runner is doing what he is supposed to and the fielder drops the ball, you don't have an out.

OP did not state intent, so I can assume/imagine however I like.

I understand MALICIOUS contact..

Not sure how on earth MC came into this post but it doesn't fit ...........

anyone have anything else here? I think we've established this as an out, yes?

I guess you could assume he stabbed him with a knife on the way by, but that wouldn't be terribly helpful or advance our understanding of the case much.

I think @Matt's point was that we don't want to conclude MC based solely on the ball coming out. I'm not sure you meant to suggest that, but your post could be reasonably interpreted that way.

Dang. . .  we're gonna get some long posts now when people ask questions . . . . 

On a squeeze play my runner was coming home from third he did not punch the third baseman before he left adn did not abaondon the base path before continuing on.  The pitcher did not balk and the cathcer caught the ball only after it passed the plate.  It was not strike three with two outs; nor was it ball four with the bases loaded.  Without having been interfered with by the batter or the umpire, The catcher dove back toward the plate with the ball in their hand and did not malisciously act toward the runner or obstruct the runner withou the ball. The runner (who did not recieve physical assistance from either the batter or the thrid base coached)  stepped on top of the hand holding the ball without maliscious intent, without hurtling the catcher, while simply trying to step on home plate.  The catcher did not drop the ball, and did not come up swinging at the runner after being stepped on. What should the call be?

:stir

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.