Umpire Equipment Bags Buying Guide

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 654 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Here's a quick umpire equipment bag buying guide: If you simply want a large bag to store and transport your gear, the Diamond 30" gear bag with shoulder strap is the easiest on the wallet. But if you want something more and made specifically for umpires, then one of the wheeled double-compartment bags for…

View the full article

• 9 years later...
On 12/18/2012 at 9:18 AM, JimKirk said:

Here's a quick umpire equipment bag buying guide: If you simply want a large bag to store and transport your gear, the Diamond 30" gear bag with shoulder strap is the easiest on the wallet. But if you want something more and made specifically for umpires, then one of the wheeled double-compartment bags for…

View the full article

So I see this now, and am trying to decide on a bag.  I don't travel with my gear, but want something I can keep in my car and carry to an umpire-room for tourneys.  I have a full set of gear (2 sets actually..., though could leave my other set behind) and am using a giant oversized duffel bag where stuff floats all around it, so would love some better organization.  I typically carry gear (including a skully), 2 sets of shoes, my gear, and various accessories like indicator/brushes/bags/sunblock/etc.

So I've sort of been between the Wilson, Champro, and Force3 for a bit, and I see this article suggests the "Champro" as a 'more square footage for the money', but I see it and the Wilson are now the same price.  So is "Champro" still 'more square footage for the money'?  I also like a bunch of the F3 stuff, but it is a touch tinier, and I was wondering if that is an issue?

Sorry for the necro-post, but this article seems right on topic :D

4 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I have the Wilson and I just got the Champro

I like the layout of the Champro a little better.  In the end though they both store stuff nicely.

Can you share what gear you have?  I am a little concerned because between the skully, F3 mask, and West-Vest, my 'gear' is a touch 'larger'.  I guess I don't have a bucket, so that is at least helpful space wise :D

As the resident... resident?... I don’t really reside anywhere, so... infamous Road Umpire, I have relied on the Fūl 30” Workhorse: 

image.jpeg.e791a48c4f8479e91acf637087659917.jpeg

It has been nothing short of bombproof. 

It is based around a cast ABS tub, so it won’t deform under typical loads. The wheels are externally mounted, so if they need to be replaced, it’s rather simple. Extendable handle is robust (lacking on Wilson’s), the zipper pulls don’t break under finger pressure (like Wilson’s do), and by being an a-typical brand, doesn’t readily invite theft or pilfering (like a big gold “Wilson” might). 

The ventilated divider keeps hard gear separate from uniform articles. I arrange my gear like thus: 

• Lower main “tub”: sliders, shin sleeves, undershirts, base shoes (in bags), belts (rolled), ball bags; for air travel, other uniform items (shirts, jacket, plate coat, pants) are folded and placed here (for land travel, these are kept in a garment bag and hung).
  • Upper main compartment: CP laid chest-down, then shinguards, then 2 masks (always carry 2 masks!!) then slim hat carrier. 
  • Large end compartment: plate shoes, extra socks, extra laces. 
  • Small end compartment: tools, sunglass cases, stopwatch, sunblock, Tums, pain pills 💊 (3 different varieties), bug spray, black duct tape, black electrical tape, velcro strips, (near-) instant hydration powder shots, 🍉 gum. 
  • Side compartment: pens, lineup folder, challenge coins, plate brushes, Rite-in-Rain notebooks  

49 lbs will fly! 
…. and makes rolling into venues – whether they be stadiums or tournament complexes – very efficient. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ErichKeane said:

Can you share what gear you have?  I am a little concerned because between the skully, F3 mask, and West-Vest, my 'gear' is a touch 'larger'.  I guess I don't have a bucket, so that is at least helpful space wise :D

With me in the bag

2 pair of F3 shins

2 AS FM4Kmag masks

1 Champro hollow steel mask with TW pads

1 AS system 7 CP

1 AS Cobalt CP

2 cups

4 plate bushes

5 or so indicators

3 red flags 

2 pair of f3 socks

4 under shirts compression style cause yeah they wick and OK yes DAD bod

1 skully  now that I type this I realize I need a 2nd

1 stopwatch which I never ever carry 

1 notepad and pen holder 

Else where in the truck

My shoes I keep on the floor of the truck

2 pair of plate shoes 1 3n2 1 NB460v2

my pants and shirts and jackets I hung on a custom coat rack I made in the back of the truck

2 pair smitty's base pants

2 pair smitty's plate pants

2 pair champro plate pants

shirts ?? I dunno probably 24 shirts  white, powder blue, light blue, navy blue, black. 

4 jackets 2 heavy 1 blue 1 black 2 light 1 blue 1 black

2 jocks hang with the champro pants

3 belts

cleaning supplies I keep in a box on the other side of the truck

• Like 2

To note Max's bag I do like and I would probably get if I were more "traveling"  

but what I do is work out of the truck all within either 30 min of home or 30 min of work

So 2 different needs...

I will "tidy up" my area and see if I cant get a shot of it this weekend. Its about time I went thru and neatened it up again

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

I just received my Ful from Amazon today.  Paid $101 for it. I just looked and it is not available at this time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TCVE8S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I did see them there too

I see that they do have a 36 inch one also but its not the ABS plastic bottom style

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ErichKeane said:

this article seems right on topic :D

@ErichKeane You made my day. Thank you. We just updated that article yesterday, so just in time. Otherwise, you could have said “I found this article to be dated.” 😅

Good catch with both at the same price as of writing that the value statement doesn’t apply with Champro with the Wilson bags being put on sale this week.

The Champro for sure is headed to a price increase soon due a recent cost increase from Champro. Therefore, that statement you picked up on Erich will no longer be applicable regardless in the future. Thanks for bringing that into my awareness to change that guide when that happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimKirk said:

@ErichKeane You made my day. Thank you. We just updated that article yesterday, so just in time. Otherwise, you could have said “I found this article to be dated.” 😅

Good catch with both at the same price as of writing that the value statement doesn’t apply with Champro with the Wilson bags being put on sale this week.

The Champro for sure is headed to a price increase soon due a recent cost increase. Therefore, that statement you picked up on Erich will no longer be applicable regardless in the future. Thanks for bringing that into my awareness to change that guide when that happens.

Ah! I was actually curious if this was the case! I saw the date at the top and thought it was just showing my computer date :) And wondered IF this was outdated!

I watched the videos and like the organizers of the champro, so am probably leaning toward that one. BUT the Wilson looks nice too... 

I'm pretty convinced I don't want a telescoping handle (have it on luggage and hate giving up the room for something I won't use), so it's really down to these two for me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

cleaning supplies I keep in a box on the other side of the truck

Oh no .... sounds like an opportunity for a Finnerty Supply Bucket?!  (didn't mean to hijack this)  Just go to equipment forum and search for that, you'll be busy reading for hours.  Feel free to revive the thread if you'd like.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Oh no .... sounds like an opportunity for a Finnerty Supply Bucket?!  (didn't mean to hijack this)  Just go to equipment forum and search for that, you'll be busy reading for hours.  Feel free to revive the thread if you'd like.

Nah I like my box.  :blush:

• Like 1