Check swing called strike

umpire_scott

Is it necessary to rule on a check swing or not if you call the pitch a strike anyway?  If it was obvious that batter did not hold up I generally will verbal "yes he did" with the strike mechanic.  But there are several times where I was not sure about the swing, but the ball was a strike anyway.  I guess if I'm not saying "yes he did" then that's the same as saying he did not swing.  Maybe I just answered my own question?  I just know I've been caught off guard by this before and then a coach asks if if I called the swing or the location. 

Simply call the strike as you would any other called strike. If the coach doesn't realize it's on the pitch and asks, tell him "on the pitch." 

This is generally what I do, but my question was whether I have any responsibility to tell the coach whether I had a swing or not. Obviously on a swing it does not matter whether it was a called strike or not you rule on the swing.  

Simply call the strike as you would any other called strike. If the coach doesn't realize it's on the pitch and asks, tell him "on the pitch." 

This is generally what I do, but my question was whether I have any responsibility to tell the coach whether I had a swing or not. Obviously on a swing it does not matter whether it was a called strike or not you rule on the swing.  

You don't have any responsibility but if he asks and hasn't been a problem child during the game, its good form to answer.  The answer could be "swing", "pitch" or "both."  If it's one of the first two, your strike call / mechanic will give the answer if they are paying attention, but I recognize that they often aren't or don't think about it before asking.

• Like 1

That to me seems like a valid question. Just like a coach asking if that pitch was high/low/in or out. If you are asking a valid question I will answer it. No need to volunteer that information every time. It can get you jammed up the one time you do not do it. Leads to are you sure, cause you changed something makes the paranoid coaches think you missed sometihng.

That to me seems like a valid question. Just like a coach asking if that pitch was high/low/in or out. If you are asking a valid question I will answer it. No need to volunteer that information every time. It can get you jammed up the one time you do not do it. Leads to are you sure, cause you changed something makes the paranoid coaches think you missed sometihng.

That is sort of my point.  The ball comes in, the batter checks his swing.  It's close and so since the ball is a strike I don't concern myself with whether I had a swing and just treat it as a called strike.  So if the coach asks me if he swung my honest answer would be that I don't really know, I had a strike on location so I didn't concern myself with whether he swung.  I guess the easy way out is to say I had no swing.  By not calling it on the swing I'm saying I had him holding up.  Probably just overthinking it.

Ive never seen this happen. If I call a strike on location, it gets a verbal and mech. If I call it on a swing, it gets a mech only. On a check swing it gets a yes he did point and a mech. Keep it simple. And if you called it on location, that's your answer.

@umpire_scott - and for the record.....never EVER say, "I don't know. "

• Like 2