Runner returns after scoring?

layers73
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3612 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

11U baseball LL rules (but not offical LL)

loaded bases 1 out

Batter hits a popup to 2b - Infield fly is called.
Runner on 3B never stops just runs home - All other runners hold their bases

Ball drops

All other runners take off for their next base - 2B man & SS have runner from 1st in a pickel

However the Runner from 3b that never stopped crossed home - gets almost to his dugout then I guess thinking the ball was caught runs back towards 3rd base (retouches home...on his way) when he reaches 3rd base he then turns around and goes for home again -  the SS throws home to get the runner at the plate (abandoning the run-down R1 was in so he moved to 2B) 

Now my question is:

the runner from 3rd base once he touched home has socred - his actions on going back to 3rd for no real reason do not count so he can NOT be put out - is that correct? 

I am Basing that on:

Rule 5.06 Comment: A run legally scored cannot be nullified by subsequent action of the runner, such as but not limited to an effort to return to third base in the belief that he had left the base before a caught fly ball

If correct we have:

R3 - scored:

R2 moved to 3B

R1 moved to 2B

Batter - OUT on IF

This seems unfair to the defense since they didnt see the runner score - so they spent their time trying to get a lead runner and stop a run from scoring - but he could not be put out (he already scored!)!  They would have gotten R1 out in the pickel (most likley)

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

All correct -- and the coaches should see the play and tell the defense to get the out and the fielders should listen to the coaches.

Easier said than done, I understand, at that level -- with mom and dad (from both sides) providing lots of useful advice during the play.