Sign in to follow this  
1dumbquestion

umpire chirping from the dugout

Yes, you read that correctly.

Did a game last night and one of the guys from my HS association is an assistant coach for this 15U team.

First off: I haven't worked any games with him, he has been around a few more years then me, I honestly wasn't sure if it was even him until after the game and my partner confirmed it was, we are both V umps but he has been V longer.

That said, pregame he asked to have the opposing F1 remove his batting glove (black), I told him I didn't have an issue with the glove and it could stay. He said I was wrong, turned away laughing. I brushed it off and started the game. Late in the game there were a few low pitches that I had as strikes. A few times I heard loudly from the dugout "a pitch in the dirt isn't a strike" (they weren't in the dirt but that's not the issue). So, after the game I came to realize that I most likely was this fellow official chirping about my zone. normally a little chirping from an assistance coach isn't anything I care about but as an official I would not comment on judgments of another ump and definitely not one from my own association. Comments on the batting glove and chirping appreciated. Thanks, 1

Warn on the chirping and dump.  Repeat as necessary. 

T golf glove or batting glove is illegal for the pitcher in many rule codes.  It's not relevant in many rule codes if you have an issue with it or not.

Warn on the chirping and dump.  Repeat as necessary. 

T golf glove or batting glove is illegal for the pitcher in many rule codes.  It's not relevant in many rule codes if you have an issue with it or not.

This was a Babe Ruth game, not sure of the rule on the batting glove but in no way did I have it as a distraction.

If he's an ASSt coach, he's not an umpire at the moment. You'd think he'd know better, but if he chooses to go elsewhere for the remainder of your game, who are you to stand in his way?

• Like 1

RULES ON BATTING GLOVE USE (Taken from the BRD):

FED-The pitcher may not wear sweatbands on his wrists or an exposed batting glove (not even a nondescript, gray batting glove) under his fielder's glove, if--in the judgment of the umpire--such items are distracting to the batter. (1.4.2, 2009 ed; NFHS Website 2004, #9)

NCAA-The pitcher may not wear "another" glove under his fielding glove. (9.2h)

OBR: Point not covered

OFFICIAL INTERPRETATION 208-194: PBUC: Treat as NCAA.

So, since Babe Ruth uses OBR, then you would not allow the pitcher to wear a batting glove under his regular glove/mitt.

• Like 1

Call him out at your next association meeting.  Let everyone know about his behavior.  Then go to his next game and chirp from the stands.  

• Like 4

Call him out at your next association meeting. Let everyone know about his behavior. Then go to his next game and chirp from the stands.

What we'd like to do.

What we shouldn't do.

• Like 8

We have a guy on our board who is a varsity coach.  He's brutal, I've heard. Earlier this year I heard he unleashed a string of f-bombs and invective on a umpire on a game-ending call- it was his 3-14 team vs the #1 team in the state - a 1-0 game ended on a 50-50 play. 

I've umpired with him and get along well with him, but have heard 1st hand he's a rat of epic proportions.

One day I'll find out on my own.

If you have him again, start fresh.  Inform the HC that he needs to control his team when it gets annoying.  Start tossing people until the game is over.

I find that umpires are the biggest loud mouths as coaches.  Not all but seems to be a trend.

Perhaps you should inform someone on your board. If one of my guys came to any one of the three of us that have been appointed by our membership to guide the association, we would immediately take action. As umpires, we all have opinions on the calls of those we see work, including out partners, but it is a whole other discussion when we start ridiculing other officials publicly.

• Like 2

Haven't had this happen to me in baseball

We did have a football official who lost his mind during games when his son played, he went before the board and was removed from post season play and fined by the association.

I got an NCAA basketball and local hero HS state championship ref disciplined for coming after me at the end of a HS game where I ejected his son for pointing his bat at me after he whiffed at strike three in the dirt and yelling "that's on you blue!"

I called a great just under the hands inside corner pitch for strike two and the kid just waves his bat at the next pitch.

I called my assigner. He called state grand poobah and that was it. I didn't care what they did to him I just wanted him to answer for it.

These kind of "coaches" have an extremely short leash. I've said it before coach, play, or umpire. You can't combine any two at the same time.

• Like 1

I am the President of my HS Association.  If you all (in the OP) were in my association, and you called me about the ump/coach's behavior...rest assured, it would be taken care of immediately.  Neither I, nor our board, puts up with that crap.  He'd get one warning...and then he'd have to find another (paying) hobby for at least a year.

During one of my American Legion regionals, a father of a player for the local team started screaming (so the whole park could hear) about a balk that he alleged the pitcher had committed and that we didn't call.  Apparently, though, he didn't recognize me on the field as we are both in the same non-conference college association.  When I got to the locker room after the game, the other umpires (who were from other parts of the country) started talking about the "crazy fan".  I said, "I'll take care of this." 

Without even taking off my uniform, I got my cell phone out of my locker and called the head of that college association and told him what happened.  The other umpires in the locker room jaws started to hit the ground.  The head of the association said, "what do you want me to do?"  I said, "I don't want him to umpire college again."  He said, "done."  I said, "unless he comes in to the locker room in front of the entire umpire crew and apologizes with sincerity and promises never to do it again."  He said, "okay."

That night I got a call from that umpire who had some tears in his voice and he admitted he had "f--ked up."  I told him, "that he absolutely did."  He said that the college assignor had told him that he would never work college ball again unless all 6 umpires (on the Legion crew) forgave him.  I allowed him to come to our locker room the next day.  He was chewed out for a few minutes by the Legion crew (that included an ACC umpire) and then he was forgiven on the promise that he never yell, as a fan, at an umpire again.

True story.  These things can be handled.

• Like 5

I couldn't imagine myself chirping at another umpire if I were a coach, knowing what I know now.  Besides, it seems like I hear more and more coaches try to tell me that they also umpire when they are chirping/arguing.  It's fun to see their bewildered faces when I tell them "I know!" as they try to figure out my meaning to that.  :fuel:  :stir

I wouldn't care if he was a 20+ year MLB umpire. If he is in the dugout in a coaching capacity...then he gets treated as any other chirping coach.

Address the first offense.... issue warnings on the second... then when all else fails eject. Simple umpire math.

• Like 2