"you'll regret the one you don't get..."

LMSANS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3612 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HS Varsity, VT down 5-1, top 5, R1 R2 one out.  F1 picks off R2.  VHC is incensed, comes on the field saying things like "do you realize what missing that call means to this game?"  He was yelling a lot.  I had decided that I didn't want to EJ. (why? I don't know.).  I finally tell him that's enough.

He gets tired of yelling I guess and starts to go back to 3B.  My partner is now coming out.  As he gets to the line he says something about homer, getting paid and so on.  I'm now ready to toss and my partner calls him over.  I wait to see what my partner is going to do.  He talks to him and then walks away.  The coach is quiet now.  The game proceeds.

Lesson learned:

1. Don't take the abuse, especially 4 year old temper tantrums., eject
  2. As soon as he says something after "That's enough", eject

I have a couple things going on in my personal life that have me distracted, I am not normally hesitant to eject.  I stay focused on my calls, but I'm not me elsewhere.

I mentioned to my partner after the game that I didn't know whether to thank him or be pissed at him.  I chose to just talk it over.  He jokingly said "at least we don't have to do any paperwork."  I was more upset with myself for not doing the job right.

Life goes on...

What did your partner say to him?

Something along the lines of "that is unnecessary.  You've spoken your piece...etc."  PU did say that the coach apologized to him for the "homer" stuff.  I didn't hear it, partner told me when I asked about it.

• Like 1