1st base

Guest campos
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3629 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest campos

Shortstop throws ball to 1st, 1st base bobbles ball and drops it, baseman then stretches out to retrieve ball while still in contact with the base, he holds ball with his throwing hand pinned against the ground, is the runner out at 1st???

15 answers to this question

If he has secure possession of the ball in hand or glove, the ball may be touching the ground. Probably more likely with hand than glove. Out.

Merely pinning the ball to the ground is not secure possession. I'll be waiting to see what happens when the hand or glove moves.

• Like 2

Guest campos

Mind you that, his hand was on the top half of the ball and the other half of the ball was held against the ground. I told the coach that the runner was safe because in my judgement he didnt have full possession of the ball, that he had to pick the ball off the ground. Was i right or wrong?

Mind you that, his hand was on the top half of the ball and the other half of the ball was held against the ground. I told the coach that the runner was safe because in my judgement he didnt have full possession of the ball, that he had to pick the ball off the ground. Was i right or wrong?

look at post #2

on edit:

put yourself in F3's shoes .....

how can you have your hand on the top half of a ball ....it's probaby surrounding the ball for the most part

if he could easily pick the ball up showing you he had it, how can he not have it?

HTBT but, ask yourself this question.  Did the fielder have secure possession of the ball in his hand or his glove BEFORE the runner touches the base?  Your judgment is the determining factor.

One of the guidelines I was taught when starting out and it rings true on these close calls.

Reward the side that does it correctly.  i.e., If the defense makes great play, hustles, etc and batter-runner lollygags their way down to first?  Defense wins.  Vice Versa, F5 muffs routine ground ball, picks it up, throws across and batter-runner hustles his ass off to get there, reward the offense. 

However in my mind, defense usually wins as I am a strikes and outs guy.   Keeps the game moving.

This advice is for the whackers that can go either way in your mind.

It's a judgment call, you were there, and I wasn't. So I can't tell you that you were wrong.

The ball touching the ground is irrelevant. If his palm is not open, and the ball comes up with his hand when he rises, I'm probably getting the out.

Guest campos

He never picked it up to show me he had it, he just laid there..pinning the ball against the ground. it was a 6 and 7 yr old league. Im all about rewarding the hustle.. batter.runner was going hard to the base.. it was close.. runner touched base while the f3 finally placed his hand om ball and pinned it on ground.

Timing timing timing. Wait until F3 shows you wether or not he actually has posession of the ball. There's no rush to make a call. It's nothing until we say it is. I myself am of the mind that he's out until he's not. So, I'm probably getting an out here. Unless F3 shows me that BR is safe.

Can't you trap the ball for a catch in high school rules?

If by "catch" you mean of a throw (as opposed of a batted ball in flight), then yes -- it can be "trapped."

I think there's some Note to that effect under the definition of Catch in Rule 2.

And, this part (other than perhaps the name of "catch" instead of "gloved") is the same in NCAA and pro rules.

it was a 6 and 7 yr old league. I'm all about rewarding the hustle.. batter.runner was going hard to the base.. it was close.. runner touched base while the f3 finally placed his hand om ball and pinned it on ground.

I know we are talking 6-7 yrs old.....so in the long run, what you called is what it is.....

But....IMHO

Don't "reward" players.....they are either safe or out......a great fielding play or base running hustle should not to be considered in whether someone is safe or out......you are asking for trouble....

I had a partner make a safe call on an amazing play by a SS....smash deep in the hole, SS slides on his knees gloves the ball and fires it to first........I'm coming up the line, the play is not really close, certainly not a banger but F3 stretches and gloves the ball....I got clearly safe in my mind, but I hear my partner say OUT!  

Partner said he had to reward that great play by the SS and a good stretch by F3...........and he then had to eject the 1st base coach and the HC,,,,,,,,,,

They are safe or out.......tell the kid, great play later in the game.....but don't insert that into the game....call what you see..........