BaseballDudester

Glossy Belt or Non Glossy?

I have both. I find myself wearing the patent on most plate jobs, but I tend to wear the matte on the field and always if I'm wearing a jacket or pullover. Why? I have absolutely no explanation...lol

As for looking the part, I completely agree, but the matte belt can look just as crisp provided it is taken care of and not creased or cracked. (edited to add this)

• Like 1

@afaber12@BaseballDudester

theres no reason your shoes should clash with a patent leather belt. That's just lack of training, lack of motivation, or both. :stir:

Personally, I wear the patent. It looks professional, IMO. But, like most other details about our uniforms, the only people that will ever notice your belt are other umpires. So get the one that appeals to YOU.

And ffs, shine your damn shoes!!!!

I had a coach tell me the other day, "boy you are a lousy umpire, but your belt is sure shiny"... :fuel:

I heard that about you also!

What do they know anyway? I'm doing the T Ball playoffs for the second straight year, and I might even get to put the baseball on the Tee this year.

I wear the shiny patent leather - 3 reasons

- The belt is stiffer and keeps the ball bags straight

- Easier to keep looking sharp than the matte belt

- College board says I have to

I agree with a comment above - buy bigger size they do seem to run small

• Like 1

Ditto

I wear the shiny patent leather - 3 reasons

- The belt is stiffer and keeps the ball bags straight

- Easier to keep looking sharp than the matte belt

- College board says I have to

I agree with a comment above - buy bigger size they do seem to run small

Ditto

Patent belts are ugly and cheap looking to me. Then again, I'd wear a black belt with multicolored spikes if I could get away with it. Or a navy belt like a certain Gregory Allan Gibson I know of. I can get away with it. But I now wear matte, not only because it looks better but I had a complaint in a scrimmage the other day about the rare Juneau sun reflecting off of my shoes AND belt AND watch AND glasses AND helmet... (You've all trained me so well.)

Hank's:  Saw this on some umpire site, maybe this one.  Probably the best piece of gear I own.  Unfortunately, all it does is hold up my pants.

Expensive, but full grain, thick leather that'll hold up your ball bags and your pants for years.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts_ccw_the_gunner.html

FYI - Matte is my preference.

Hank's:  Saw this on some umpire site, maybe this one.  Probably the best piece of gear I own.  Unfortunately, all it does is hold up my pants.

Expensive, but full grain, thick leather that'll hold up your ball bags and your pants for years.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts_ccw_the_gunner.html

FYI - Matte is my preference.

That's 1.5" wide -- isn't that too narrow?  I don't have my umpire belt here to measure, but I thought they were wider.

My loops, all Honigs of various types, measure 1 3/4 to 2.  The belt I own measures 1 1/2.  You need some extra room to account for the thickness of the belt.  Also, I think some belts are measured like lumber:  2x4 is really 1 1/2 X 3 1/2.  As others have noted, that's certainly the case with waist size.

1.75 aka 1 3/4 inches for both patent and matte and plate/bases. Honigs's p/w's and U-A flex waist p/w's.

No problems with belt loops in any

• Like 1