Partners

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3652 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

:ranton:

I'm sick and tired of having partners who don't have the slightest idea what they're doing... Now, it could be just the level of ball I do, youth (12U) travel up to JV HS, but I don't think so because even if I go to a varsity game to watch I see these ridiculous problems.

My partner today showed up at 6:05 for a 6:15 start (i.e pregame was nonexistant), wore a white long sleeve sweater underneath a navy blue polo, and we had the following situation...

Bases empty, outs and count don't matter... Ball is hit to deep right, right on the line. He turns around to watch it, and I think "Holy crap! A guy who knows his rotations and how to 'go out' on a trouble ball!"... I cut into the infield and am busting butt taking the runner into second when the ball drops... He turns around and looks at me.  :bang:

Luckily he saw the ball drop about two feet foul, laughs and says "Oh! I thought you had that! It was foul." across the diamond to me.

And to be completely honest, compared to what I usually deal with, he was above average. He knew what a balk was and how to call one.... As of right now, outside of CDP, I have worked with one umpire ever who knew what a simple 1st to 3rd rotation was.

-

I attended my association's "meeting" on Monday hoping to get noticed for higher levels of ball. Ten people showed up including the assigners (association has ~600 members), and I'd say the average age of the room was 80. One guy in particular looked like he needed help walking down the stairs, let alone umpiring a baseball game... Another guy went on a rant about the assigner right in front of the assigner, of all things - that the assigner forgot to or didn't indicate who was plate and who was bases in a JV game.  :banghead:

The instructor called white sleeves and the black "war paint" on a pitcher a "judgement call"  :WTF

Do good umpires exist? Or are you all just figments of my imagination?

@Jeff C. @Thunderheads, is this a Michigan problem? is this just a my area problem? Is this a nationwide thing that I'm just overreacting to?

:rantoff:

Wow.

One potential "hazard" of frequenting UE is the realization that something might ...just ...be ...a ...little... wrong with the umpires you work with.  Or a lot wrong.

Some of us are lucky that we work with a bunch of UE umpires, or at least umpires that would be great members of UE (and I am always promoting the site to my partners).

I'm sorry @mjr_2013 that you are in the situation you are in.  Maybe some of your partners might be interested in joining UE?

I work 2 semi final Varsity District games today. They were 3-man. My partners were veterans with over 15 years each. Me being the newer guy (4 years) got stuck on 3rd base for both games.

Neither one of them knew any rotations. Had to keep my head on a swivel to cover empty holes.

They made horrible calls and both had inconsistent strike zones. Pretty sad!

I work 2 semi final Varsity District games today. They were 3-man. My partners were veterans with over 15 years each. Me being the newer guy (4 years) got stuck on 3rd base for both games.

Neither one of them knew any rotations. Had to keep my head on a swivel to cover empty holes.

4 years or 15 years means nothing.  Some guys are just natural at umpiring and are better with 4-years experience than some who have been umpiring forever.  Some people care more about the game than others and that helps make them better umpires. As a trainer/evaluator for my league I see that all of the time.  Also very few youth/HS umpires have ever been trained in proper 3-man or 4-man mechanics. So your comment doesn't surprise me at all.

Calling "balls/strikes" is an art.  While some people never master it some people look like they were born to be behind the plate, even with just a couple of years experience.  You make your reputation behind the plate and lose it on bases (especially in 2-man mechanics). To me personally working the bases is much more difficult that working the plate.

Quality of training is where it begins and lack of training is where it ends. An example, In Arizona the AIA offers no training that I am aware of.  Unlike states like Alabama where district and state clinics are mandatory (or at least they were years ago). So where do the "new" umpires go for proper training? Here in southern Arizona there's a local HS umpire's association called the Tucson Baseball Umpires Association (TBUA). The TBUA attempts to train their umpires but it is very minimal. Luckily, there is a large youth league here called the Kino Baseball League (KBL) that offers extensive training utilizing classroom, field clinics, scrimmages, and live games throughout the year. BUT a majority of the local youth/HS umpires won't invest 4 weekends per year and $40 (for all 4 weekends, to help cover the instructor's gas) to become better.  Let me add that after the 4-weekends of training the trainees are given the opportunity to work a charity 12U tournament where they can work with their mentors (plus make money) and if they can umpire they will be assigned lower-level KBL games (advancing as their evaluations indicate).

I can ramble on for hours when it comes to umpire training.... Believe me, I feel your frustration!

• Like 2

4 years or 15 years means nothing. Some guys are just natural at umpiring and are better with 4-years experience than some who have been umpiring forever. Some people care more about the game than others and that helps make them better umpires. As a trainer/evaluator for my league I see that all of the time. Also very few youth/HS umpires have ever been trained in proper 3-man or 4-man mechanics. So your comment doesn't surprise me at all.

Calling "balls/strikes" is an art. While some people never master it some people look like they were born to be behind the plate, even with just a couple of years experience. You make your reputation behind the plate and lose it on bases (especially in 2-man mechanics). To me personally working the bases is much more difficult that working the plate.

Quality of training is where it begins and lack of training is where it ends. An example, In Arizona the AIA offers no training that I am aware of. Unlike states like Alabama where district and state clinics are mandatory (or at least they were years ago). So where do the "new" umpires go for proper training? Here in southern Arizona there's a local HS umpire's association called the Tucson Baseball Umpires Association (TBUA). The TBUA attempts to train their umpires but it is very minimal. Luckily, there is a large youth league here called the Kino Baseball League (KBL) that offers extensive training utilizing classroom, field clinics, scrimmages, and live games throughout the year. BUT a majority of the local youth/HS umpires won't invest 4 weekends per year and $40 (for all 4 weekends, to help cover the instructor's gas) to become better. Let me add that after the 4-weekends of training the trainees are given the opportunity to work a charity 12U tournament where they can work with their mentors (plus make money) and if they can umpire they will be assigned lower-level KBL games (advancing as their evaluations indicate).

I can ramble on for hours when it comes to umpire training.... Believe me, I feel your frustration!

District and state camps in AL are no longer mandatory, but they sure help your state classification score when playoff selections come around!

4 years or 15 years means nothing. Some guys are just natural at umpiring and are better with 4-years experience than some who have been umpiring forever. Some people care more about the game than others and that helps make them better umpires. As a trainer/evaluator for my league I see that all of the time. Also very few youth/HS umpires have ever been trained in proper 3-man or 4-man mechanics. So your comment doesn't surprise me at all.

Calling "balls/strikes" is an art. While some people never master it some people look like they were born to be behind the plate, even with just a couple of years experience. You make your reputation behind the plate and lose it on bases (especially in 2-man mechanics). To me personally working the bases is much more difficult that working the plate.

Quality of training is where it begins and lack of training is where it ends. An example, In Arizona the AIA offers no training that I am aware of. Unlike states like Alabama where district and state clinics are mandatory (or at least they were years ago). So where do the "new" umpires go for proper training? Here in southern Arizona there's a local HS umpire's association called the Tucson Baseball Umpires Association (TBUA). The TBUA attempts to train their umpires but it is very minimal. Luckily, there is a large youth league here called the Kino Baseball League (KBL) that offers extensive training utilizing classroom, field clinics, scrimmages, and live games throughout the year. BUT a majority of the local youth/HS umpires won't invest 4 weekends per year and $40 (for all 4 weekends, to help cover the instructor's gas) to become better. Let me add that after the 4-weekends of training the trainees are given the opportunity to work a charity 12U tournament where they can work with their mentors (plus make money) and if they can umpire they will be assigned lower-level KBL games (advancing as their evaluations indicate).

District and state camps in AL are no longer mandatory, but they sure help your state classification score when playoff selections come around!

But with the new classification system, they are effectively mandatory, without being called mandatory. Don't be shocked if rules are put into place requiring attendance of a State camp, within a certain time window, to qualify for semi-finals and finals.

I'm sick and tired of having partners who don't have the slightest idea what they're doing... Now, it could be just the level of ball I do, youth (12U) travel up to JV HS, but I don't think so because even if I go to a varsity game to watch I see these ridiculous problems.

My partner today showed up at 6:05 for a 6:15 start (i.e pregame was nonexistant), wore a white long sleeve sweater underneath a navy blue polo, and we had the following situation...

Bases empty, outs and count don't matter... Ball is hit to deep right, right on the line. He turns around to watch it, and I think "Holy crap! A guy who knows his rotations and how to 'go out' on a trouble ball!"... I cut into the infield and am busting butt taking the runner into second when the ball drops... He turns around and looks at me.  :bang:

Luckily he saw the ball drop about two feet foul, laughs and says "Oh! I thought you had that! It was foul." across the diamond to me.

And to be completely honest, compared to what I usually deal with, he was above average. He knew what a balk was and how to call one.... As of right now, outside of CDP, I have worked with one umpire ever who knew what a simple 1st to 3rd rotation was.

-

I attended my association's "meeting" on Monday hoping to get noticed for higher levels of ball. Ten people showed up including the assigners (association has ~600 members), and I'd say the average age of the room was 80. One guy in particular looked like he needed help walking down the stairs, let alone umpiring a baseball game... Another guy went on a rant about the assigner right in front of the assigner, of all things - that the assigner forgot to or didn't indicate who was plate and who was bases in a JV game.  :banghead:

The instructor called white sleeves and the black "war paint" on a pitcher a "judgement call"  :WTF

@Jeff C. @Thunderheads, is this a Michigan problem? is this just a my area problem? Is this a nationwide thing that I'm just overreacting to?

I did think you had it! :wave:   But seriously, I have had the same thing happen to me in JV & Varsity.  I have worked with guys that never communicate on the field, show up wearing faded hats, long sleeves under short sleeves.  I've also had them tell me "Don't ever come to me on a check swing, cause I ain't changing your call".  I worked with a guy once that didn't know any type of simple signals.  I indicated that I would rotate to third, he nodded, so I thought he knew.  Between innings he asked me what that meant :no:   So I feel your pain brother.  We also get the same 15-20 guys that show up to my assoc. meetings.  Unfortunately these guys are everywhere.  And if your "instructor" did say that, I'd find a new one.  Trust me, we have a good share of good umpires in Michigan.  My main two assigners have some very, very good umpires.  Keep up the good fight brother, it's worth it. 

• Like 1

-

I did think you had it! :wave:   But seriously, I have had the same thing happen to me in JV & Varsity.  I have worked with guys that never communicate on the field, show up wearing faded hats, long sleeves under short sleeves.  I've also had them tell me "Don't ever come to me on a check swing, cause I ain't changing your call".  I worked with a guy once that didn't know any type of simple signals.  I indicated that I would rotate to third, he nodded, so I thought he knew.  Between innings he asked me what that meant :no:   So I feel your pain brother.  We also get the same 15-20 guys that show up to my assoc. meetings.  Unfortunately these guys are everywhere.  And if your "instructor" did say that, I'd find a new one.  Trust me, we have a good share of good umpires in Michigan.  My main two assigners have some very, very good umpires.  Keep up the good fight brother, it's worth it. 

If I build ump it, they will come?? :question1:

:D Thanks Jeff!

I have had the great pleasure of working five varsity games this week with some partners that were fabulous. All rotations were right, communication - verbal and otherwise- was spot on, and not one situation occured with anyone out of postion.

Wacky plays came up in all the games, but we had them covered. Run downs, drops on the transfer, hybrid pitcher stance, rockets down the lines......... I know that I have jinxed the rest of my season, but it was worth it because those good partners are out there and it is such a pleasure to work with some one you can trust!

The assigners I work for in HS ball have some very good umpires. Its the travel ball and local ball that's a crap shoot.

• Like 1

I was at a Varsity game as a spectator a few weeks ago watching friends (another umpire) son play.  This was the top two teams in the state so I anticipated (incorrectly) that 2 of the better umpires would be assigned..... :shakehead:

The BU was fine, looked the part and seemed ok. 

The PU had a blue Under-Armour shirt on under his CP..... How do I know this and why does it matter?  He was wearing it backwards so the large white oval "tag" UA uses was sticking out just under his throat.....

It was all my buddy and I could focus on...... Completely awful looking!!! 

"They are everywhere!"

The assigners I work for in HS ball have some very good umpires. Its the travel ball and local ball that's a crap shoot.

I guess that's why I can't seem to get any Varsity.  The JV pool his hit and miss.....mostly miss. I know I've gotten better over the past two-three years.. That said, I've worked with several guys these past few weeks that I worked with 2-3 years ago. All guys who have been doing this for years longer than I have. Is it possible they've gotten worse? They certainly haven't improved. It's getting frustrating now. Or, I'm getting paired with raw rookies. It's amazing how little training is needed to do sub-varsity around here. Working games with some of these new guys might be more embarrassing than frustrating. 

Looking ahead I've got a few good partners I know coming up in the next few weeks. Can't wait!! 

Communicate the problems/concerns with your associations. Attend upper level clinics, take back what you learn to your local associations. Try to improve your locals, don't just gripe about them, become part of the solution, not the problem.

I guess that's why I can't seem to get any Varsity.  The JV pool his hit and miss.....mostly miss. I know I've gotten better over the past two-three years.. That said, I've worked with several guys these past few weeks that I worked with 2-3 years ago. All guys who have been doing this for years longer than I have. Is it possible they've gotten worse? They certainly haven't improved. It's getting frustrating now. Or, I'm getting paired with raw rookies. It's amazing how little training is needed to do sub-varsity around here. Working games with some of these new guys might be more embarrassing than frustrating. 

Looking ahead I've got a few good partners I know coming up in the next few weeks. Can't wait!! 

You and I both know that some assigners are not all warm and fuzzy. The time you are putting in now, especially the face time, makes a difference.

I have noticed an uptick in the quality of the games on my schedule of late. I spoke with a local asigner who said..... "That's because you don't suck" He would never know unless he saw me at clinics and on the field. Those other guys will not advance, and when you step up to the next level, be grateful for the experience of knowing what not to be "that guy" and that the face time you have makes a difference.

BTW, I think we're together on the holiday tournament.

• Like 1

You and I both know that some assigners are not all warm and fuzzy. The time you are putting in now, especially the face time, makes a difference.

I have noticed an uptick in the quality of the games on my schedule of late. I spoke with a local asigner who said..... "That's because you don't suck" He would never know unless he saw me at clinics and on the field. Those other guys will not advance, and when you step up to the next level, be grateful for the experience of knowing what not to be "that guy" and that the face time you have makes a difference.

BTW, I think we're together on the holiday tournament.

Well said Sir. That's exactly what I'm shooting for. Exactly why I'll be at the July 4th weekend clinic also! Looking forward to working with you again!