Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3238 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok guys, .... bear with me ....

This isn't a huge issue, but so far I've had a tendency to call a high strike, not that there's anything wrong with it, but .... let me continue.  My issue is, ... finding out in the post game after asking my partner ... he said it was borderline but more high than borderline...."not chin high, but it was pretty up there".  Now, I heard nothing but a stupid mom say something about the pitch, and nothing from the batter or dugout, so I know it can't be THAT bad, so, why am I asking you ask?

My question is, ... what are some tips (I know this is very elementary and I apologize) for seeing that  high strike and knowing its high or a bit up?  I know a lot of guys will lock your eyes at the top of the zone ...if it goes above your line of sight, "ball", and that makes sense but not necessarily that easy.  I'm assuming my issue is that on those pitches, I'm not tracking completely w/ my eyes (probably ).  I say this because I remember another pitch that I tracked perfectly that was up in the zone and I balled it and saw it clearly.  Again that's probably it as it's still very early in our season.

Another tip I was thinking ... F2's glove location can help as well ...where the ball is caught....height of glove?

Anyhow ... I know that this site is THE PLACE for stuff like this, and I know I'll get good feedback.  Again, I'm pretty sure I'm having a tracking issue when this happens, but ...I'm looking for tips on that upper part of the zone/borderline pitch.

Thanks all ...  appreciation in advance!

I too call the "high" strike. I tell both catchers to help me out on the high strikes because I do call them so go ahead and grab those for a second and don't just pull them down right away.

A strike is a strike. Just because it is at the upper part of the zone and because the majority of umpires refuse to call it a strike confuses the hell out of me. My guess is too much MLB watching. Look up the rulebook strike zone. It is HUGE. Use it to your advantage.

I do hear some grumblings from the stands but that doesn't bother me. Pitchers like it, games go faster, and believe it or not coaches prefer strikes over balls. Just be consistent with it.

• Like 2

hey! for most of us its early in the season, and unless you have had cage time, its going to take some time to zero in that zone...so don't sweat it...The fact you said you balled another pitch that you tracked perfectly leads me to believe it is just an early season adjustment issue and not a "real problem"....plus no bitching from the dugouts, who see up and down MUCH better than your partner, is a sign it wasn't that bad......(and forget what that MOMMY said...)

I am a big fan of the "eyes at the top of the zone" technique to establish my high border, but to be honest , I'm not the tallest umpire, so that is easy for me.  If you are taller, getting to that point can be more difficult. I'm leaning to just very happy you are doing a good critical after game self appraisal. That's the kind of umpire I want to work with. Give it a few more games and get back to us and see if this issue has cleared up or remains a problem.....

Edited by Stan W.
usual suspects- clarity and spelling
  • Like 5

How "high" are you calling it?

This sounds like a comfort/confidence issue to me.  You are asking your partner about your own zone in post-game so obviously you think there is a problem with it.  I don't really have a tip other than to define in your mind where the top is and call it there.  I don't think you can "lock in" to a specific part of the zone because then you are ignoring other areas.  Track the pitch properly, take your time with the call and these things have a way of working out.

I find when I think my zone is "drifting", that my tracking and/or timing is off.  Get out the sock and do the sock drill (or get to a cage) to improve your tracking and work on timing however it works for you.  Could be as simple as focusing on the basics and not trying to make this too hard.

• Like 1

How "high" are you calling it?

This sounds like a comfort/confidence issue to me.  You are asking your partner about your own zone in post-game so obviously you think there is a problem with it.  I don't really have a tip other than to define in your mind where the top is and call it there.  I don't think you can "lock in" to a specific part of the zone because then you are ignoring other areas.  Track the pitch properly, take your time with the call and these things have a way of working out.

I find when I think my zone is "drifting", that my tracking and/or timing is off.  Get out the sock and do the sock drill (or get to a cage) to improve your tracking and work on timing however it works for you.  Could be as simple as focusing on the basics and not trying to make this too hard.

I always do Mike .... "how'd everything look back there from your vantage point?"  It's a common question I always ask.  I work with the same partner about 99% of the time, we know and trust each other.  If I have the opportunity to hear it straight from someone who knows me and how I umpire, I'm going to ask :)

Totally concur w/ your other points, ... thanks!

You might be asking one of two questions:

1. how high should I be calling it?
  2. how can I call the high strike more consistently?

Regarding (1), that will depend on the level, of course. But in another sense, it doesn't matter much: if you're not too goofy and you're giving the same pitch both ways, the batters will adjust.

For (2), which is more crucial, I agree w/ @Mike Prince. Settle your mechanics, let the pitch come to you, and your consistency will improve.

• Like 2

Another tip I was thinking ... F2's glove location can help as well ...where the ball is caught....height of glove?

That can work on both high and low pitches.  If the ball is caught above the cather's head its likely too high.  Almost certainly so on curve balls.  If the ball is caught below the catchers knees, its likely a ball -- almost certainly so on fast balls.

You can also us the ball relative the the batters elbow as a guideline for the high end of the zone.

• Like 4

That can work on both high and low pitches.  If the ball is caught above the cather's head its likely too high.  Almost certainly so on curve balls.  If the ball is caught below the catchers knees, its likely a ball -- almost certainly so on fast balls.

You can also us the ball relative the the batters elbow as a guideline for the high end of the zone.

NIce, that's cool stuff, thanks!

Did you play baseball?  I truly believe that playing the game really helps me understand the strike zone.  I played until I was 26 years old on some pretty competitive levels.  As for the high strike (which I've been told I call) just be consistent.  I'm also 6' 4", so I think that leads me to call higher strikes.

• Like 1

Did you play baseball?  I truly believe that playing the game really helps me understand the strike zone.  I played until I was 26 years old on some pretty competitive levels.  As for the high strike (which I've been told I call) just be consistent.  I'm also 6' 4", so I think that leads me to call higher strikes.

yes, quite a lot of baseball.

I understand the strike zone, ... doesn't mean I won't see it clearly ;):wave:

Trust yourself and your zone. Honestly however bad you may feel or not locked in, your zone is still your zone. What you're calling strikes, they need to swing at. Now don't get ridiculous obviously, but don't fret over borderline stuff. Just use your judgement and make the call. Don't let people confuse you or make you doubt yourself. Self doubt is your biggest enemy when working in the field. 

Having said that, I ascribe to the "eyes at the top of my zone" mentality. I lock in where I want the top of my zone to be and if I have to look up at the pitch, it's a ball. Plain and simple. If it's at my eye level, It's a strike. Use your eyes. Find ways to make things easier on yourself. Don't make it harder than it needs to be by over thinking what you're doing. 

Trust in yourself you must. A great Umpire you will become, if believe you do.  :meditation:  :beerbang

• Like 1

I usually ask my partners how things "looked" from their vantage point as well.  Especially the guys I normal work with because I can trust their comments.  I was told just this week that I had a "good, but high zone".  He was basically saying that my zone was consistent, but I probably could have "gotten" a few more strikes at the lower end of the zone.   Last night I really focused on tracking the pitch all the way to the glove and I found myself seeing that lower strike much better.  I stilled called the top of my zone the same, but I felt myself getting the lower strike more consistently.   I know that doesn't specifically answer your original question, but I think striving for consistency across the entire zone (up,down, in out) is a good thing.  Coming from a former varsity coach turned umpire, I didn't really care WHERE the zone was during the game....as long as it was consistent. 

• Like 1

The high strike, for me, is tough early in the year, and after I've done 10 straight plates, half of which may be sub-varsity.  

The top was a little soft in my first plate this season, too. Though, to be fair (to myself), the game did start at 10:15pm, which is around my bedtime.

The high strike, for me, is tough early in the year, and after I've done 10 straight plates, half of which may be sub-varsity.  

The top was a little soft in my first plate this season, too. Though, to be fair (to myself), the game did start at 10:15pm, which is around my bedtime.

:spit:

These are all great points & advice you've been given Jeff.   It sounds to me like it's just a confidence thing to call the high strike & perhaps you aren't consistenly tracking the pitch.   Or you could just suck! :wave::yippie:   Just busting you a little brother!  Don't chase!

• Like 1

These are all great points & advice you've been given Jeff.   It sounds to me like it's just a confidence thing to call the high strike & perhaps you aren't consistenly tracking the pitch.   Or you could just suck! :wave::yippie:   Just busting you a little brother!  Don't chase!

:wave:  :D

• Like 1

Called the "high" strike in a game Friday. One team (VT) adjusted fairly quickly to what was my zone, and the other team (HT) did not. The VT that adjusted early did not say a word the whole game about my zone. The HT was insistent on whining and complaining the whole game about my high strike calls. But it was the cowardly snickering and comments from the dugout where they know you can hear them but I'd look like the aggressor if I acknowledged them back. Oh well, did not bother me one bit.

The VT who adjusted scored 14 runs. The HT who did not adjust scored 1 run.

I use my own view of the pitch. If its at my mask obvious a ball. I give pitchers a baseball above the belly button. Its not called a belly high pitch for nothing. Batters may complain its too high. But its not too high when it ends up in the trees. Their elbows are a good indicator as well. As you already know, its easier to get away with inside and outside pitches than high and low.

ITS A STRIKE TILL YOU PROVE ME WRONG!

• Like 1

The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

I don't agree with making your eyes level to the top of the zone, as this will cause your head to be in a different spot for each batter.  What I do is, after dropping down into my locked in position (chin level with top of catcher's head), take a quick glance at where the top of the zone is for that particular batter.  Then I just track the crap out of the ball, and will generally know if the pitch is up without having to use the catcher as a reference point.  

I don't agree with making your eyes level to the top of the zone, as this will cause your head to be in a different spot for each batter.  

Well, since each batter is of a different size and has a different strike zone, I'm not sure why some people get so worked up over this.  The strike zone changes with each and ever batter during a game, so your head positioning should change accordingly.

I am constantly amazed when I see guys on TV that set really high.  I have no idea how they are calling the top accurately, but many of them do.  Whenever I try to set that high, literally everything high looks like a strike.  I am a firm proponent of the "eyes at the top of zone" theory.

• Like 1

I don't agree with making your eyes level to the top of the zone, as this will cause your head to be in a different spot for each batter.  

Well, since each batter is of a different size and has a different strike zone, I'm not sure why some people get so worked up over this.  The strike zone changes with each and ever batter during a game, so your head positioning should change accordingly.

I am constantly amazed when I see guys on TV that set really high.  I have no idea how they are calling the top accurately, but many of them do.  Whenever I try to set that high, literally everything high looks like a strike.  I am a firm proponent of the "eyes at the top of zone" theory.

But if your head is in a different spot, you're not just seeing the high pitch differently, you're seeing every pitch differently.  As a case in point, I was tweaking my stance during a JV game last week.  About mid-way through the game, I made an adjustment that brought my head down about 6 inches from where it had been (according to my partner).  My partner told me, and I agreed, that this caused the bottom of my zone to move up by a slight, but appreciable amount.  This makes sense, as I was viewing the zone from 2 slightly different angles.  

But if your head is in a different spot, you're not just seeing the high pitch differently, you're seeing every pitch differently.  As a case in point, I was tweaking my stance during a JV game last week.  About mid-way through the game, I made an adjustment that brought my head down about 6 inches from where it had been (according to my partner).  My partner told me, and I agreed, that this caused the bottom of my zone to move up by a slight, but appreciable amount.  This makes sense, as I was viewing the zone from 2 slightly different angles.  

You can re-set your zone without having to change your head position, just move your eyes.