Coach Counting

Guest Speedy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3651 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Speedy

Youth league playing by high school rules.  As umpires, we can warn, restrict, and eject. 

How do you handle a coach who counts to you how many calls that he thinks you have missed?

Situation is that in the 3rd inning there is a bang bang play at 1st which goes against him (1st out).  In the 6th there is another bang bang play at 2nd which goes against him (2nd out).  Coach mouths a bit after the second call but never really says anything too overbearing.  Once the half inning is over on his way back to the dugout he screams across the field to the me that "that makes 2".

I want to hear everyone's responses please before I tell you what I did.

Thanks

I had this last night in Varsity game.  My partner on the bases had two plays where he judged F3 was pulled off the bag by bad throws.  HC came out both times to discuss (very politely, he seems like a nice guy).  During the second discussion, I heard one of his assistants chirp, "that's two, blue".  I shut him down real quick with, "knock that off, we're not going there."  Didn't feel the need to restrict him at that point, but if he had said any more I'd have dumped him quick.  I also work basketball, and it's one of my pet peeves when coaches start counting fouls.  This carries over to baseball; I have no tolerance for that.  It may not be an automatic EJ, but I'm shutting it down.

• Like 1

I like to think of the restriction as the equivalent of a basketball technical foul.  

In a HS Varsity game, somebody is getting restricted for this.

In  a college game, I'll probably do the official warning announcement.  Any further rebuttal is an ejection.

In youth games, somebody is going away...unless I'm in a particularly ornery mood, then I'll start counting errors, bad coaching decisions, and pitches that the catcher takes out of the zone!

Guest Speedy

Well after he got my attention he had two fingers up and was still saying "two, that's two blue".  I restricted him to the dugout.  He sat quietly in the dugout for the remainder of the game. 

Youth league playing by high school rules. As umpires, we can warn, restrict, and eject.

How do you handle a coach who counts to you how many calls that he thinks you have missed?

Situation is that in the 3rd inning there is a bang bang play at 1st which goes against him (1st out). In the 6th there is another bang bang play at 2nd which goes against him (2nd out). Coach mouths a bit after the second call but never really says anything too overbearing. Once the half inning is over on his way back to the dugout he screams across the field to the me that "that makes 2".

I want to hear everyone's responses please before I tell you what I did.

Thanks

Buh-bye...

That falls under the category of showing you up.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I think restriction is by state or district adoption?

In any case, I hate restrictions.  IMO it is a PR move to keep ejections down and gives a coach an effective free pass.  I would rather warn as needed then eject.

I don't like restrictions either, but, I think they're designed to keep a coach in the dugout so a team can continue playing.  Many teams only have one coach and if we dump that coach, the game is over.

In any case, I hate restrictions. IMO it is a PR move to keep ejections down and gives a coach an effective free pass. I would rather warn as needed then eject.

I don't like restrictions either, but, I think they're designed to keep a coach in the dugout so a team can continue playing. Many teams only have one coach and if we dump that coach, the game is over.

You can't see me, but I'm doing my "not my problem" dance.

• Like 4

In any case, I hate restrictions. IMO it is a PR move to keep ejections down and gives a coach an effective free pass. I would rather warn as needed then eject.

I don't like restrictions either, but, I think they're designed to keep a coach in the dugout so a team can continue playing. Many teams only have one coach and if we dump that coach, the game is over.

I like them for those in-between instances. It effectively shuts them up knowing the next time they yap they are done. It also "punishes" them without the need for an EJ report or a one game suspension.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In FED, is there such thing as restricting players to the dugout? Wouldn't that be an ejection?

Only for illegal participation.

Restrictions are good for players the are unsafe, bat throwers etc because dumping carries post game penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you get the authority to restrict bat-throwing players?