Pregame points

bam
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3657 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've forgotten which recent thread mentioned a pregame with a partner who either forgot or ignored the discussion, but it got me to thinking what you guys pregame. I work with the same partner A LOT, so we're on the same page and don't really do a lot of pregame other than bringing up the fact that maybe we have a tough lefty today, or these two teams almost brawled last game, etc.

A typical pre-game for me with a new/unfamiliar partner would be:

• signals
  • who's got the bases on the infield
  • Uncaught 3rd strike mechanic
  • check swing appeals
  • who has tags in different situation
  • this year's points of emphasis
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • Ground rules (if either of us is familiar with the park), such as snow/temp fences, trees, etc.
  • foul ball off batter
  • who has responsibility for DBT plays
  • GLM signal

What else do you pre-game?

I looked through past threads for this and couldn't find anything as specific as the question of what SPECIFICALLY you pre-game, although I skimmed the topic titles, not the threads themselves.

I make sure I pregame verbal signals as well as non-verbal. I want my partner to know exactly what to listen for should we need a verbal signal such as "I've got third" or "I've got a catch/no catch." Also how to handle if a coach comes out for an explanation or asking us to get help in addition to what will happen should we dump a coach. If it is cloudy we will also pregame weather precautions and discuss if it is supposed to rain what we look for before we suspend the game.

My list looks like this:

1. Fair/foul responsibilities

2. foul off the batter

3. Catch/no catch responsibilities

4. check swing

5. Signals (verbal/nonverbal)

6. D3K signal

7. IFF signal

8. Asking for help

9. Should we have to dump a coach

10. rotations

11. Tag responsibilities

12. Run downs

13. What we know about the teams as far as pitching and tendencies

14. weather conditions (if these apply)

15. Prayer

When you say, "I've got a catch/no catch." What do you mean? Do you mean you are taking responsibility for the fly ball? Or are you saying the ball has been caught or not caught?

the ball has been caught/not caught. Situational awareness should tell him and me who has responsibility. I'm just making sure he knows what to listen for when I do or don't have the fielder catching the ball.

I've forgotten which recent thread mentioned a pregame with a partner who either forgot or ignored the discussion, but it got me to thinking what you guys pregame. I work with the same partner A LOT, so we're on the same page and don't really do a lot of pregame other than bringing up the fact that maybe we have a tough lefty today, or these two teams almost brawled last game, etc.

• signals
  • check swing appeals
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • Ground rules (if either of us is familiar with the park), such as snow/temp fences, trees, etc.
  • foul ball off batter
  • GLM signal

I looked through past threads for this and couldn't find anything as specific as the question of what SPECIFICALLY you pre-game, although I skimmed the topic titles, not the threads themselves.

I make sure I pregame verbal signals as well as non-verbal. I want my partner to know exactly what to listen for should we need a verbal signal such as "I've got third" or "I've got a catch/no catch." Also how to handle if a coach comes out for an explanation or asking us to get help in addition to what will happen should we dump a coach. If it is cloudy we will also pregame weather precautions and discuss if it is supposed to rain what we look for before we suspend the game.

My list looks like this:

2. foul off the batter

4. check swing

6. D3K signal

7. IFF signal

8. Asking for help

10. rotations

11. Tag responsibilities

12. Run downs

15. Prayer When you say, "I've got a catch/no catch." What do you mean? Do you mean you are taking responsibility for the fly ball? Or are you saying the ball has been caught or not caught?

the ball has been caught/not caught. Situational awareness should tell him and me who has responsibility. I'm just making sure he knows what to listen for when I do or don't have the fielder catching the ball.

Gotcha!

• signals
  • check swing appeals
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • foul ball off batter
  • GLM signal

My list looks like this:

2. foul off the batter

4. check swing

6. D3K signal

7. IFF signal

8. Asking for help

10. rotations

11. Tag responsibilities

12. Run downs

15. Prayer

When you say, "I've got a catch/no catch." What do you mean? Do you mean you are taking responsibility for the fly ball? Or are you saying the ball has been caught or not caught?

If I'm BU and don't hear "that's a catch", I've got the ball down, but that's what pre-game is for.

• signals
  • check swing appeals
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • foul ball off batter
  • GLM signal

My list looks like this:

2. foul off the batter

4. check swing

6. D3K signal

7. IFF signal

8. Asking for help

10. rotations

11. Tag responsibilities

12. Run downs

15. Prayer

When you say, "I've got a catch/no catch." What do you mean? Do you mean you are taking responsibility for the fly ball? Or are you saying the ball has been caught or not caught? the ball has been caught/not caught. Situational awareness should tell him and me who has responsibility. I'm just making sure he knows what to listen for when I do or don't have the fielder catching the ball.

If I'm BU and don't hear "that's a catch", I've got the ball down, but that's what pre-game is for.

I'm the other way around. If you don't hear anything, I've got a catch. Trouble balls that are caught I will verbalize. I always verbalize non catches. Like you said, that's what pregame is for lol

I'm the other way around. If you don't hear anything, I've got a catch. Trouble balls that are caught I will verbalize. I always verbalize non catches. Like you said, that's what pregame is for lol

Verbalize to whom (and how loud)?  If your partners back is to the ball he needs to know either way -- just a conversational "that's a catch, Tom" on the routine fly.

• Like 1

Verbalize to whom (and how loud)?  If your partners back is to the ball he needs to know either way -- just a conversational "that's a catch, Tom" on the routine fly.

So my partner knows to stay with the play and not to pull up. I may not be explaining myself well, but it always seems to work well and there's never any confusion between me and my partner. 

So my partner knows to stay with the play and not to pull up. I may not be explaining myself well, but it always seems to work well and there's never any confusion between me and my partner. 

I am not disputing that you should tell your partner when the ball is not caught.  I'm saying that you ALSO should tell him when the ball is caught.

I am not disputing that you should tell your partner when the ball is not caught.  I'm saying that you ALSO should tell him when the ball is caught.

Absolutely.  He shouldn't have to take a batter who's already out to second base.  It's a courtesy.