LMSANS

Rule sets

Baseball has three basic rule sets -- OBR, NCAA, NFHS. All of the the others (i.e. LL, BR, etc.) are customizations of one of those.

In softball, we have ASA, NCAA, NFHS, and USSSA. Again others (LL, NSA, etc.) work off of these. There are FP and SP variations on each of these (except NCAA?).

Are there any other "nationally" recognized rule sets that you may be aware of?

Baseball has three basic rule sets -- OBR, NCAA, NFHS. All of the the others (i.e. LL, BR, etc.) are customizations of one of those.

In softball, we have ASA, NCAA, NFHS, and USSSA. Again others (LL, NSA, etc.) work off of these. There are FP and SP variations on each of these (except NCAA?).

Are there any other "nationally" recognized rule sets that you may be aware of?

"House".

:WTF

Sorry, couldn't resist... but you'd be surprised what some home-team coaches try to get away with ... so in their world, "house rules" are what they would call 'normal'. :)

One of my first games last season was on a field with very tight (narrow) fencing at the backstop and up each baseline; couldn't have been more than 15 feet away to the back and sides.

Now, we had a local (and national, I think) POE about storing stuff outside the dugouts. So here's this knucklehead coach with - I kid you not - an L screen at a 45 degree angle from the near corner of the dugout, to the fence. Of course, there are 4 or 5 foot openings at either end of this "fort", I guess you'd call it; and they've got 3 or 4 buckets to sit on, bats, helmets, a COOLER (!) and assorted other stuff.

I tell Home Coach "All that has to go away - everything's in the dugout." He's coming unglued and we haven't even had the plate conference yet... and of course, I get the, "But we've always done it this way on our field, no one has ever complained before."

To which I respond, "Well, when 'no one' is umpiring your game, you can leave it there. But for this game, I am umpiring, and you know full well about the POEs this season..." :ranton:

He grumbled the whole time while dismantling his little "fort". B)

If you are talking about Khoury League, we go under ASA, and have our own subset of rules which are mainly special rules for the younger divisions.

Don't forget LL and Pony. It looks like ASA is the granddaddy of softball, 1933. NSA looks like it was formed in 1984, USSSA 30 yrs ago, Fed and NCAA is in there somewhere.

Don't forget LL and Pony. It looks like ASA is the granddaddy of softball, 1933. NSA looks like it was formed in 1984, USSSA 30 yrs ago, Fed and NCAA is in there somewhere.

Do LL and Pony use a variation of ASA? Similar to BB using a variation of OBR.

I don't know but I can ask my local rules guru. I know that many times if there is no specific ruling in another rule set most umppires will use an ASA ruling. It seems to be the oldest rule set that I could find.

Do LL and Pony use a variation of ASA? Similar to BB using a variation of OBR.

PONY is pretty close to ASA, one major difference is PONY requires only the pivot foot be in contact with the pitchers plate. The other foot can be anywhere within the 24 inch range.