Things LL moms say

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3658 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Went to an upper-level HS varsity game last week and heard many of these same things said...so it's not just a LL thing...

Yup.  Years ago I have the plate in a Varsity playoff game.  Runners advancing to home on a gapper to right center.  I move a few feet back and am watching tags at third and runners touch the plate.

I look for the throw from right field and it's way off line coming at me.  F1 and F2 are converging on me to play the ball.  I don't know exactly what happened but apparently F2 kind of had to go around me.

I hear a mad female voice from the stands  " That's interference on you Blue!!"  

Well it is - it's just that there's no penalty.  ;)

I guess it's true that I hindered the player trying to field the thrown ball but it is not umpire interference by definition. I was where I was supposed to be. The point is that the throw was so far off line it put me in a bad position and this mom thought I should call runners out or something because certainly her son's team couldn't be responsible for such a bad play.

You guys think they're bad in the grandstand...they're horrifying in the dugout, ESPECIALLY if you're the one kid that's ruining playoff chances. True story, one time I was told if I didn't get on base I'd be off the team. I got walked but apparently she wanted a grand slam or something so a screaming match between her, my father, and the actual coach got started right there in the bottom of the seventh with me standing on first all proud and wondering why it was such a big deal; I did get on base. :shakehead:

Poor umpires.

Went to an upper-level HS varsity game last week and heard many of these same things said...so it's not just a LL thing...

Yup.  Years ago I have the plate in a Varsity playoff game.  Runners advancing to home on a gapper to right center.  I move a few feet back and am watching tags at third and runners touch the plate.

I look for the throw from right field and it's way off line coming at me.  F1 and F2 are converging on me to play the ball.  I don't know exactly what happened but apparently F2 kind of had to go around me.

I guess it's true that I hindered the player trying to field the thrown ball but it is not umpire interference by definition. I was where I was supposed to be. The point is that the throw was so far off line it put me in a bad position and this mom thought I should call runners out or something because certainly her son's team couldn't be responsible for such a bad play.

Right over your head??

You interfered with the play. But because it doesn't fall into the official requirement for enacting a penalty it is "nothing".

Right over your head??

You interfered with the play. But because it doesn't fall into the official requirement for enacting a penalty it is "nothing".can't have it both ways. If he interfered, we'd have interference. Since it didnt meet the definition of INT, it isn't INT. It either is or it ain't. If it ain't. ....then you can't say it 'kinda' is. Terminology notwithstanding. C'mon Rainman. You sound like a rat. Oh.....wait...

Well it is - it's just that there's no penalty.  ;) I guess it's true that I hindered the player trying to field the thrown ball but it is not umpire interference by definition. I was where I was supposed to be. The point is that the throw was so far off line it put me in a bad position and this mom thought I should call runners out or something because certainly her son's team couldn't be responsible for such a bad play.  

Right over your head??

You interfered with the play. But because it doesn't fall into the official requirement for enacting a penalty it is "nothing". can't have it both ways. If he interfered, we'd have interference. Since it didnt meet the definition of INT, it isn't INT. It either is or it ain't. If it ain't. ....then you can't say it 'kinda' is. Terminology notwithstanding. C'mon Rainman. You sound like a rat. Oh.....wait...

Go easy on him Jocko.  Rich Ives often gives us literal interpretations of the rule book.  And that's OK.  I think he's saying I interfered according to dictionary definition of interference. But not the Rule Book definition.