Funny story from my flight home last week....

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3704 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Funny story from my flight home last week that I forgot to share with everyone, and I think you'll like it.

Coming home from Vegas last week (business) ... I'm on the aisle, and a couple is next to me.  I take out my NFHS rule books, illustrated, by topic and 2 books I picked up from the SEMUC camp.   When I place them in my magazine pocket in front of me, the NFHS rules by topic is showing outward, ...I think nothing of it and check my phone for messages, and to turn to "airplane mode".

Then, ... from the man (against the window) I hear .....  "oh ...baseball rule book, ...are you a coach?"

I said: "no, I'm an umpire"

He said, "Oh, great, (then started asking me what age-groups I do, etc, etc ... )

He then finishes, ...."I thought of "coach" when I saw the rule book"

I said: "The rule book should have been your first hint that I wasn't a coach, because they CERTAINLY don't read it, or know it"

He cracked up as his son plays competitive travel ball (11u), .........he obviously got my humor!

:wave:

• Like 5

Not baseball related but sports officiating related.

I like the airplane aisle seat, my wife likes a window seat and if the plane is full, some poor schmuck has to sit between us. We don't converse across the middle guy, but sometimes a piece of info is exchanged between wife and I. Everytime the guy recognizes that we are traveling together, he always offers to trade seats with one of us...nothing doing, buddy, neither of us want the middle seat. I'll say, "no thanks". And then,  I'll ask, "BTW, do you have any boxing referee experience"...the look on his face is priceless.

• Like 2