Great new idea

VA_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3685 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey everyone!

I'm a little new here but I've come for your help! I am a young aspiring umpire out of Southwestern Virginia. I am 23 years old and currently attending university. This will be my 4th year in my association. But that is just a little introduction to my experience (I also do travel/rec/club games). 

The reason I am here at U-E is to introduce an awesome concept that I have been working on. Google currently offers an item called Google Glass. These are glasses that function much like a cell phone in the fact that they can access navigation, take pictures, Google search, make videos, text message, etc. (Here's a link: http://www.google.com/glass/start/ ). However, I am mostly interested in the video aspect since the video is taken exactly at eye level. I want to wear a pair behind the plate for a few of my games this year. This could be revolutionary for how the game is watched! The glass is incredibly small (so no distractions) plus they would conveniently fit behind the protection of my mask. There are 2 problems: availability and price. The first problem was solved about a week ago when Google sent me a purchase code (which I had to apply for and was about a year and half ago). So that leaves me with the cost. Being a college student means by "means" are frugal to say the least. But I truly believe this could be unprecedented. So I have ended up here hoping you would like to help my cause. I am crowd-funding to raise money to purchase the glasses. If you believe this could be incredible as well please donate anything! Every dollar counts!

http://www.gofundme.com/72njj0

Plus if Umpire-Empire can help me raise the funds you guys will get exclusive access to the footage. I know I'm not in the minors and this is high school baseball, but it could all start here! 

Thanks, 

J

On the day that we hold an on-line wake for collegue/friend/moderator, we get a solicitation for donations from someone with their first post on U-E. A tremendously strong candidate for worst post/thread of the year.

Ironic that Mike would probably have been the one to kill this thread...another reason (petty though it be) to miss the guy.

• Like 4

the poor guy. I actually admire his willingness to take a shot..we've all talked about the limits of current camera technology and the google glasses seem to be perfect for seeing pitches from the umpires perspective...the technology is not, apparently, easily available  - so the idea of paying a little to access it isn't outrageous.

I'm not saying that i have any interest or even think its a good idea - I'm just not sure why we are blasting the guy for a legitimate (at least) post, that just happened to come, accidently,  on a very bad day.

but (now speaking directly to the new poster) you SHOULD get a name that doesnt so closely mimic an existing one. When you originally posted I did think it was our current VA ump until someone pointed out that it was your 1st post. thats no good

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3685 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.