Test questions

jmpnjmy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3688 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok great brain-trust of the Umpire-Empire, I am having trouble with two questions on my fed test. Help would be much appreciated. If you can help with fed references that would be great.

1 A foul ball caroms off the first baseman and is caught by the catcher while still in flight

A) The ball remains live and in play

B) The ball becomes dead immediately

C) It is a delayed dead ball

2 The coach is expected to be a role model for civility and sportsmanship to his players

T

F

For the first one I'm leaning towards A but I can't find anything in the case book.

For the second one, it's the civility that's throwing me. I can't find any mention of civility in the expectations of the coach, sportsmanship yes but not civility.

Are you sure it didnt carrom off catcher and csught by f3? That sounds more like a fed question

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Positive. I quoted it directly from the test

A and T

I can only choose one answer.

Are you sure it didnt carrom off catcher and csught by f3? That sounds more like a fed question

A and T

lol. nevermind. I misread your answer jax

A and T

1. A

2. T

A and T

A and T
I can only choose one answer.lol. nevermind. I misread your answer jax

No problem

how can you have a foul ball in flight. Foul is foul, thus dead ball. If it hit F3 in flight and is caught by F2, it would be an out, not a foul.

No.

If it was first touched over foul territoty it is a foul ball. Read the definitions again.

An UNCAUGHT foul ball is dead.

This one was caught.  Just like a foul popup, it's an out.

ok the "Key point" lost me. It's not possible to have a foul tip carom off the first baseman.

False, but I'm not going to hijack the thread.

Now you have me curious. Let's go for it. How can you have a foul tip carom off of a 1st baseman?

maybe if it hits the catchers glove 1st, then to the charging 1st basemans knee, then back to the catcher?

ok the "Key point" lost me. It's not possible to have a foul tip carom off the first baseman.

Now you have me curious. Let's go for it. How can you have a foul tip carom off of a 1st baseman?

Ball goes: Bat - F2's glove - F3 - F2's glove (and caught).

Possible in theory only.

Possible in theory only.

???????????????????????????????????

Possible in theory only.

???????????????????????????????????

what's your question?  That's a foul tip that deflected off the 1st baseman,

how can you have a foul ball in flight. Foul is foul, thus dead ball. If it hit F3 in flight and is caught by F2, it would be an out, not a foul.

Every batted ball is either fair or foul. Which one was this?

I disagree. I prefer to think of it as every GROUND ball is ULTIMATELY fair or foul. A legally caught ball is ultimately just live or dead. I know it may be splitting hairs and not written in the rules that way, but I think that is the effective result.

As for the OP, the question said the ball was foul, so at that point I stopped reading and raised my hands because nothing else mattered. A foul ball cannot be caught.

Terrible question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I disagree. I prefer to think of it as every GROUND ball is ULTIMATELY fair or foul. A legally caught ball is ultimately just live or dead. I know it may be splitting hairs and not written in the rules that way, but I think that is the effective result.

As for the OP, the question said the ball was foul, so at that point I stopped reading and raised my hands because nothing else mattered. A foul ball cannot be caught.

Terrible question.

A ball in foul territory can be caught, so it isn't foul?

Yes, youre' splitting hairs :D

Terrible question.

A ball in foul territory can be caught, so it isn't foul?

Yes, youre' splitting hairs :D

A ball over foul territory is not foul or fair, yet.  It is simply "live" until something else happens. 

A foul ball is always dead, and therefore cannot be subsequently caught. 

This is why  the wording of the question in the OP is bad.   The question contradicts itself. It says "A foul ball . . . is caught while still in flight."  This is impossible. 

And, I know we may be inclined to overlook the poor choice of words in an effort to get to the intent of the question (I agree the answer probably says this is an out.), HOWEVER, we all know that the key to answering these baseball tests is to look for the one element that does not belong. The questions are intentionally sneaky, so when they screw up the wording, it makes it virtually impossible to answer the question. 

• Like 1

In response to the "foul ball" debate - FED 2-16-1(d) states "a foul is a batted ball: that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or any object foreign to the natural ground" Then 5-1-1(d) explains when a foul ball becomes dead. We can have a foul that is caught and still live. The definition of a foul does not "kill" the play. So be careful when making the statement "a foul ball is always dead," because it's not. The declaration of "Foul" would create a dead ball situation

• Like 2