Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3690 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think the idea would be to just be smart in public in general… Since the internet is public, you just have to be very careful about what you do.

This site for example, would be a horrible place to post as a PBUC invite. You're just asking for trouble… You could use it to read, learn, and PM friends, but not much more.

Facebook could be a fine place if you're just talking to family, friends, high school buddies and keeping in touch while you're on the road. OTOH, if you're posting "(insert manager here) was such a d!ck last night. Glad I tossed him. #UmpireSwag" as a status you're in just as bad a spot as you would be here.

Moral of the story, use your brain.

• Like 1

I agree mjr, the internet in general is not used in a smart way by many. They don't realize how easily things are misconstrued or how information can be pieced together to find out who someone is. That was proven the other day.

What are you referring to?

My roommate from TUS and two guys in my crew made it to PBUC. wishing them all the luck next week and I think all 3 will end up with jobs. Two of them worked American Association and Northwoods League last year and the other is just a great umpire

Don't all PBUC invites usually end up with jobs?

I agree mjr, the internet in general is not used in a smart way by many. They don't realize how easily things are misconstrued or how information can be pieced together to find out who someone is. That was proven the other day.

My roommate from TUS and two guys in my crew made it to PBUC. wishing them all the luck next week and I think all 3 will end up with jobs. Two of them worked American Association and Northwoods League last year and the other is just a great umpire

NO.... 3 things can happens..

1. You get placed in MiLB

2. You get placed int he CPL ( coastal Plains League)

3. You get placed on the reserves list.

you can spend the whole summer on the reserves list and never get a job

• Like 1

Don't all PBUC invites usually end up with jobs?

Never knew that! Interesting!

Some internet detective to identify a person that was on the other side of the country. Nothing major, just many don't realize just how open the internet is. I have always been very open so you could find out a ton about me.

PBUC invites are simply the top grads from both schools being further evaluated. As Haid says you get a job,go to the Coastal Plains or go home and sit on a list. As openings happen they generally pull from CPL, then replace them from the standby list. The fact remains that if you get invited to PBUC, you are pretty damn good.

I agree completely...you have to be pretty good to get to PBUC...after that's it's all competition.  This year we had 11 NWL umpires go back to school, and 8 went to PBUC...

That's 42 out of 49 NWL umpires who went back to school and went to PBUC the next year, all over just the past 5 years. 

Hmmm...maybe the NWL is a good place to go to get experience...just saying...LOL

Haid the only thing about being placed in the CPL is they really don't have anyone to evaluate, correct,and help them improve.

CPL is just what others have said, it's a place for PBUC to keep a ready supply of guys to call up, that they know are available. Many of the summer leagues not connected with MiLB have great supervision and evaluation systems, NWL is obviously one of those as is Am Assoc and Can-AM.  There is a long history of guys coming out of all of those leagues, gaining experience they needed to move to the next level.  I have a son that did not get a PBUC invite first year through school and worked in the AA for Kevin, came back a completely different umpire AND man.  It was great for his maturity and gave him a chance to grow. 

Haid the only thing about being placed in the CPL is they really don't have anyone to evaluate, correct,and help them improve.

No true.. some of the PBUC evaluators rotate through there.. the CPL league director is a former MiLB guy ( waaay back ) but was still in the game

The sad part is the baseball in the CPL is not as good as in the NWL or Cape Cod League...guys who have worked for me and then went to CPL couldn't believe how much of a step down the baseball was even though, in theory, it's a step up as far as their careers go...

I think the baseball is better than the NWL... the Cape is the best.... the #1 team in college summer baseball was in the CPl 2 yrs ago.

The sad part is the baseball in the CPL is not as good as in the NWL or Cape Cod League...guys who have worked for me and then went to CPL couldn't believe how much of a step down the baseball was even though, in theory, it's a step up as far as their careers go...

I think the baseball is better than the NWL... the Cape is the best.... the #1 team in college summer baseball was in the CPl 2 yrs ago.

The Cape is CBUAO territory.

No true.. some of the PBUC evaluators rotate through there.. the CPL league director is a former MiLB guy ( waaay back ) but was still in the game

Haid I was told this by one of the umpires. Take it for what it's worth. 

Haid I was told this by one of the umpires. Take it for what it's worth. 

what are you saying..LOL

Do they go through a week of evals. What happens next? What percentage gets a job.

If you don't what are chances of getting called back?

Do they have a chance of working high level college?