broke my zig plate shoes last night

goindeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3728 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HS scrimmage last night in the rain. After the game I went to beat the clay off my zig plate shoes and upon hitting the wall, the protective plate goes flying off my left shoe (I was holding them in my hand). Apparently there is only a small piece of 1inch fabric that holds it on the front of the shoe....I have only worn these about 6 times...very disappointed to say the least. I suppose it was my fault, but dangit man! Heckuva way to start the season.

Sorry to here...Tough/expensive way to learn a lesson.

I tore up my first pair of plate shoes this way...though I got alot more than 6 games out of them. Now I hang onto the plate and don't let it flop untethered when banging the mud out of them.

HS scrimmage last night in the rain. After the game I went to beat the clay off my zig plate shoes and upon hitting the wall, the protective plate goes flying off my left shoe (I was holding them in my hand). Apparently there is only a small piece of 1inch fabric that holds it on the front of the shoe....I have only worn these about 6 times...very disappointed to say the least. I suppose it was my fault, but dangit man! Heckuva way to start the season.

Should be under warranty

This is why I keep plastic grocery bags in my motherlode. Put the wet/muddy shoes in them and clean them AFTER the mud is dry. Much much easier to knock dry mud out of the treads

This is why I keep lastic grocery bags in my motherlode. Put the wet/muddy shoes in them and clean them AFTER the mud is dry. Much much easier to knock dry mud out of the treads

I keep a few lastic things as well

This is why I keep lastic grocery bags in my motherlode. Put the wet/muddy shoes in them and clean them AFTER the mud is dry. Much much easier to knock dry mud out of the treads

I keep a few lastic things as wellyeah, but yours are E-lastic :) :) :P
  • Like 1

The piece that holds the plate together is very poor quality or poorly made, mine broke and a cobbler couldn't reattach it, I haven't contacted the company but I think I may try after hearing many stories about them breaking. Heck I've had my NB450's last 4 years and are still in good shape, a plate shoe shouldn't break like that in under a year. 

Let me know how contacting the company goes, I purchased mine from baseballsavings.com and will call the monday to see if they can send me a new pair or give me a discount to purchase a new pair.

A cobbler should be able to make quick work of the repair.

Stop banging your shoes against the wall :)

That's what your head is for :banghead:

Have a friend up my way that had that happen to him twice on two different pair of shoes. His where mid tops.

I have the low tops and have never come close to having an issue with them except some dumb@$$ F2 stepping on them on the first pitch of the season last year.

Nothing we do while running and cutting and twirling ever puts the same level of stress on a pair of plate shoes that banging them against a wall will put on them. It is absurd to ruin a pair of shoes doing something that is unnecessary, and something that they are not designed to withstand. Jocko's remedy is the answer. I have those giant Ziplock bags in the FSB just for that purpose. When the mud dries, you can just brush it off. It is yet another reason that I alternate between two pairs of plate shoes. When one pair is caked with mud...

• Like 1