State Uniform Policy

yawetag

Jimurray, on 12 Jan 2014 - 9:01 PM, said:

JaxRolo, on 12 Jan 2014 - 8:56 PM, said:

Florida: black or polo blue and charcoal pants.

But for regular season as long as we match we can wear any color.

I'm a little perturbed that Texas hasn't approved red yet.

Does that come with the bulls-eye or do you have to have it embroidered yourself?

Ohio:

BA-Official.JPGBaseball

The approved uniform for interscholastic baseball umpires is the Fechheimer gray color pants with an MLU navy shirt with the OHSAA embroidered logo on the right breast. Undershirts or t-shirts shall be red. When needed, a navy blue jacket or coat shall be worn. Official OHSAA logo officials apparel shall be purchased from one of the authorized dealers listed above. All umpires on a crew must be dressed alike. Navy caps with OHSAA printed in block letters on the crown must be worn and shall be purchased only from authorized dealers. Any other emblems or patches are not permitted on the officiating uniform. EXECPTION: An American flag may be worn appropriately. Jewelry may not be worn except wedding band, medical ID, or religious medal.

Penalty - Fine not to exceed $100.

We're in the process of switching to charcoal pants, which have been required for state tournament umpires for a couple years now.

Maven,

This year the new OHSAA logo hat is required for all games, the letter hat is now not legal after only being legal for the regular season last year.

Also, Heather gray is still allowed in the regular season, I assume because SB umpires still use it. Charcoal is mandated for the tournaments.

Wisconsin -   Shirt - Powder blue or navy blue.  Undershirt (if visible under shirt) - Navy or black.

That's it?! That's all that the requirements read as? Wow. That's shocking. Wisconsin usually loves being verbose and particular about anything organizational or governmental.

• 9 months later...

Here's the association in CT I'll be joining this year: Uniform Regulations Black and Charcoal (Default Uniform) Pants - Charcoal Gray (Gerry Davis Only) Shirt - Black with white stripes, short or long sleeve T-shirt/Turtleneck - Black Jacket - Black with white stripes Fitted Hat - Black Ball Bags - Black Socks - Black Belt - Black Shoes - Predominantly black (white stripes or trim is fine) State Patch - attached to the left breast pocket or equivalent location, (available at our meetings) PS: Varsity $87.12 per ump per game; Sub-Varsity $56.63 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Well, there's one way to ensure @mstaylor never works games in CT!

FWIW, in the Orange County HS unit, the uniform requirements are:

If you are working alone, any professional umpire shirt color is acceptable. If you are working with a partner, any professional umpire shirt color you agree on is acceptable. If you can’t agree, you should wear the Default Uniform: Black shirt [no numbers], black or white undershirt, black fitted cap [plain, no logos], black shoes, black socks, black belt. Your outer garment, whether a shirt, jacket or otherwise, must display the official CBUA patch either on or directly above the left breast pocket [or where the pocket would be on a garment without a pocket] for every game. Violation of this policy may result in removal of remaining games on your schedule. Dark Gray umpire slacks, –not heather gray.

Quite right, I wouldn't be caught dead on a field with GD pants on.

What's the matter with GD pants, other than they really don't match poly wools.

They are ugly as sin, look like you are wearing pajama pants because they don't hold a press worth a darn, through the pleats or through the leg. Almost look like balloon pants unless you iron right before the game, where as with poly wools you don't have to iron your pants, just hang dry them after you wash them.

The South Carolina High School League leaves it up to the local associations to set the uniform policies with one caveat: the umpires must match.

In my association, of which I am President (and which, I believe, is the largest in the state), we tell our members that they are only required to own a black shirt and charcoal pants.  However, we have a list of "alternate" uniforms that can be worn as long as both umpires match.  However, if one member of a crew wants to wear an alternate and the other member of that crew only owns black...they must wear black.  No one is required to purchase alternate shirts.

Alternate colors allowed are navy shirts, powder blue shirts and polo blue shirts.  However, we require that a navy hat be worn with navy or powder blue shirts and that a black hat be worn with black and polo blue shirts.  Additionally, black (primary) and navy (alternate) pullover jackets and plate coats are allowed.  The shoulder color on a black pullover coat must be white (NCAA style) and not polo blue (MLB style)...this allows our guys who work non-conference NCAA games to not have to buy more than one jacket.

Finally, RED is DEAD.  Though I would put our high school association up against any other high school association...there are no umpires in our association good enough to work in the American League.  So, red is dead.  Or as my uncle would say, "R-E-D is D-E-D!"

• 4 weeks later...

In jersey besides the colors they are trying to change shirts again to have everyone have the state logo made part of the shirt we all feel 6 washes and it will disappear but so far can only be purchased from one vendor which can be problematic and hurts other vendors in the state  which the current vendor is not from jersey but pa. One would think the state would make it so all vendors have a chance to make a buck,yes it was to be only one vendor before but at least they where in jersey

In jersey besides the colors they are trying to change shirts again to have everyone have the state logo made part of the shirt we all feel 6 washes and it will disappear but so far can only be purchased from one vendor which can be problematic and hurts other vendors in the state  which the current vendor is not from jersey but pa. One would think the state would make it so all vendors have a chance to make a buck,yes it was to be only one vendor before but at least they where in jersey

And the vendor is kicking back to NJSIAA and the local associations, as well as a 15% discount.  The Jersey way of doing business.

• Like 2

Was at a clinic with the coordinator of umpires for Mississippi last Saturday.  He stated for this year(2015) the state approved colors for baseball are black and light blue.  Black may be the pro style black or with white stripes on the collar.  Light blue may be pro style or with the black collar.  This is the last year navy will be considered acceptable for regular season, but it will not be used for post-season games.  Beginning next year navy is out, only light blue and black.  Only black jackets and hats going forward.  Emphasized to not buy any new hats/shirts/jackets in navy as it will not be used after this year.  The state has always provided us MHSAA patches to place on shirts in the past.  There are no more patches.  Going forward we will be expected to have shirts with the logo embroidered on shirts.  Must have logo on shirt for post-season(that's already been in place for state final series), would like logo shirts for regular season.  Hats have never had logos previously.  Some people have done their own hats with MHSAA, but it was never a requirement or even suggestion.  Beginning next year(2016) all hats(only black) are to have MHSAA logo.  They have begun selling the hats this year, but they are not required.  He did suggest they would be nice for post-season this year, especially for anyone calling state finals series in Jackson(actually Trustmark Park is in Pearl).  Also suggested that anyone wanting to call state finals should upgrade their pants to polywools and have them tailored to appropriate lengths.  Stressed that looking professional has to be a priority.  Did not say polywools were required, but that he notices little things when making decisions.  It should be noted that the coordinator is a D-I umpire(multiple regionals). 

I like the changes.  I hope our association will be strict with the requirements.  Currently, for the regular season, we are essentially just required to match our partner.  For the guys who don't move on to post-season games they may be in red, gray, white, pink, or camo shirts like they wear at the travel ball complex.  I decided a couple years ago to have black, navy, and light blue so my crew doesn't look mismatch.  Even with those options, I have had partners who I couldn't match since they haven't bought a new shirt in 10 years.  

As a side note, the high school coordinator is also the assigner for all Mississippi JUCO baseball.  After the clinic I was asked if I was interested in moving up beyond high school.  I have previously called a limited number of non-conference JUCO games, but never been a part of a college association.  Of course, I indicated that I was very interested.  We'll see where it leads, but I'm excited about the prospects.       

Congrats Law_Reb. You will love the improvement of baseball and umpiring partners. (Not saying all high school umpires are bad. It's just like the players, the talent level and focus just gets better and sharper. The key is availability. Most smaller colleges usually play early in day.

Congrats LawReb. You will love the improvement of baseball and umpiring partners. (Not saying all high school umpires are bad. It's just like the players, the talent level and focus just gets better and sharper. The key is availability. Most smaller colleges usually play early in day.

Thanks!  I do have a bunch of great high school partners.  As with any large association there will be some that aren't up to par.  But, for the most part, we have a good bunch of umpires. 

Part of being an umpire is buying gear. You are lucky to break even your first year. $500 is average for your first year. We require charcoal pants. We require a navy blue cap and black cap. We require a navy blue jacket and most have a black jacket in several styles. Some have black jackets with Carolina blue stripes. We can wear whatever we want as long as we match. We work three man and it is acceptable for the two wing umpires to be in jackets and the plate umpire to be in a long sleeve shirt. Under no circumstances can you wear a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt. No Jerry Crawford look. 90 % of the time we are " men in black". Our association has a long standing tradition of giving used and new gear to new umpires. You could come into our group with no money and be completely outfitted and ready to work a game. You have to pay back later in beer. Summer time is a free for all. Cream, red, polo blue, Bermuda blue, black, green, white, maroon, and short sleeve jackets in black or blue. We do not wear an American flag as a shirt. That is disrespectful.

• Like 1

Part of being an umpire is buying gear. You are lucky to break even your first year. $500 is average for your first year. We require charcoal pants. We require a navy blue cap and black cap. We require a navy blue jacket and most have a black jacket in several styles. Some have black jackets with Carolina blue stripes. We can wear whatever we want as long as we match. We work three man and it is acceptable for the two wing umpires to be in jackets and the plate umpire to be in a long sleeve shirt. Under no circumstances can you wear a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt. No Jerry Crawford look. 90 % of the time we are " men in black". Our association has a long standing tradition of giving used and new gear to new umpires. You could come into our group with no money and be completely outfitted and ready to work a game. You have to pay back later in beer. Summer time is a free for all. Cream, red, polo blue, Bermuda blue, black, green, white, maroon, and short sleeve jackets in black or blue. We do not wear an American flag as a shirt. That is disrespectful.

where is this coming from?  Where did the 'flag shirt' come up in this thread?  This is the second time it's popped up from you ....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is Indiana's

Baseball

1. Gray pants.

2. Navy blue coat/jacket/sweater.

3. Pullover navy blue shirt with red, navy and white neck and sleeve trim (major league umpire shirt).

4. Navy OR RED undershirt, if worn

5. Navy blue wind breaker or navy blue pullover jacket (pro-style with half zipper) with red and white trim across the shoulders with

IHSAA logo (may be purchased at Honig’s); transition to this jacket by 2013. All new officials will need to purchase this jacket.

The previous used jacket will be grand-fathered in for experienced officials.

6. Navy blue or black socks.

7. Black belt if applicable.

8. Proper navy blue umpire’s cap. Cap of plate umpire should have a 1 1/2” or 2 1/8” visor. Cap of base umpire should have 2 1/2” or 3” visor. A cap with the IHSAA logo is permissible (may be purchased at Honig’s or Main Event).

9. Black polished shoes. The shoes of the plate umpire should be of the safety variety. The base umpire should wear the ripple or studded style soles.

10. Plate umpire needs:

1. Ball and strike indicator

2. Small whisk broom

3. Protective supporter and cup

4. Properly regulated watch

5. Chest protector

6. Sturdy mask

7. Shin guards

8. Gray ball bag

11. There shall be no numbers worn on the uniform.

12. IHSAA insignia should be worn at all times.

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2014 at 1:24 PM, VAUmp said:

That is the only place where you can get the shirts with the flag and VHSL patch already attached (it's actually not a patch but part of the fabric).  You can buy any shirt you'd like and have the patches sewn on yourself.  That's what I did.  We even got two patches and flags.  I'm not a big fan of the Cliff Keen shirts, so I patched and flagged my Smitty shirts.

Does anyone know where to get the VHSL patch for baseball umpiring shirts?

On 5/13/2016 at 3:48 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Our Association gives us 2-3 patches a year.

My association did not give patches and pretty much told me i had to by shirts from them with the patches already on them.  i just want a patch or two to put on some shirts I already bought before I started with them.   I am tired of wearing the same shirt every game.

6 hours ago, Storm13 said:

My association did not give patches and pretty much told me i had to by shirts from them with the patches already on them.  i just want a patch or two to put on some shirts I already bought before I started with them.   I am tired of wearing the same shirt every game.

Ah, @Storm13 you're in with a Shirt Mafia. This is how they (often senior "squat" members1) squeeze additional revenue out of the junior members. There is a I-know-a-guy arrangement made with an embroiderer and some supplier, often using Cliff Keen or Dalco stock shirts still in packaging from 1998 (that was a banner year for Dalco). They get a lower per-unit cost, everyone gets a little somethin-somethin' and that tremendous feeling of angst that everyone won't look the exact same will be avoided.

1- Squat members sit like blocks of concrete on association boards like this, but when actual action is needed, what do they do, really? Squat. Hence the term.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Illinois from the IHSA:

Baseball 1. Heather gray or charcoal gray pants; 2. Navy blue coat/jacket/sweater/shirt; 3. Navy blue pullover; 4. Navy blue windbreaker; 5. Navy blue or black socks; 6. Black belt if applicable; 7. Proper umpire’s cap (navy or black). Cap of plate umpire should have a 1 1/2” or 2 1/8” visor. Cap of base umpire should have 2 1/2” or 3” visor; 8. Black polished shoes with black laces. The shoes of the plate umpire should be of the safety variety. The base umpire should wear the molded or studded sole shoe; 9. Plate umpire needs: a. ball and strike indicator, b. small whisk broom, c. protective supporter and cup, d. chest protector, e. sturdy mask, f. shin guards, g. navy blue or gray ball bag. 10. No watches or jewelry to be worn!

We are allowed to wear other colors during regular season. These are mostly enforced in the state playoffs where the IHSA makes umpiring assignments. Some guys have an entire rainbow in their cars.

On May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM, maquinn78 said:

This is Illinois from the IHSA:

We are allowed to wear other colors during regular season. These are mostly enforced in the state playoffs where the IHSA makes umpiring assignments. Some guys have an entire rainbow in their cars.

I took that directly from a pdf handout for the IHSAA.  So that's Indiana uniform and we are not allowed to wear anything except navy blue during regular or postseason.  Period.

11 minutes ago, indianaumpire15 said:

I took that directly from a pdf handout for the IHSAA.  So that's Indiana uniform and we are not allowed to wear anything except navy blue during regular or postseason.  Period.

Why do guys ask me what color I'm wearing then? 

Confirm that Illinois guys have every color ever invented in their cars!

4 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Why do guys ask me what color I'm wearing then? 

Confirm that Illinois guys have every color ever invented in their cars!

For high school ball?  No one around Indy does that.  We are told to wear navy.  We are told that if the state would allow other colors they would make hats in something other than navy.