UmpTalk.com

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2520 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just wanted to drop a note to say how very good @Chris Kamler 's new UmpTalk.com podcast is.  I have listened to eps 2-4 and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Chris has a journalism and podcast production background so the production quality is surprisingly high, professional and very easy to listen to.  My son and I were driving to an association meeting last night and listened to the Jon Browar and Greg Harmon episodes.  They addressed the things assignors are looking for and they also addressed youth ball which was a lot of fun. 

I KNOW it will be tough for him to build a large audience as there is a lot working against him (VERY small umpire market, smaller online umpire community, and podcasting is hardly mainstream, yet.), so I am sure he would appreciate your help.    I would encourage everyone to check out at least one episode (#2/Jon Browar is very good.).   Further, if you don't already listen to podcasts regularly, you are REALLY missing out.  With the addition of UmpTalk, there is now officially a podcast for every subject.  I listen to TWIT and other tech podcasts, ESPN (Football and poker), Freakonomics, Adam Carolla, Afterbuzz, and a few more.

I use an android app called BeyondPod, but any highly-rated app will work great. 

I encourage everyone to check it out and, if you agree,  spread the word and help him build an audience.   A few of us have kicked around the idea of doing a podcast, and this guy took the time to execute and put out a good product. 

Wishlist for the podcast:

• in-depth discussion of the NCAA DH rule, including any mnemonics/tricks to memorizing/understanding it. 
  • NFHS rules philosophy
  • Wishlist Guests: Carl Childress, former MiLB/Current D1 umpires, Jim Evans, Any rules experts, NFHS rules committee members
  • Game management
  • Intangibles of an upward-mobile umpire
  • Like 6

I listened to them too, and they are good. The interview with Browar was very insightful, and the ones designed for newer umpires are full of good advice. Looking forward to more podcasts.

Thanks everyone! I'm having a lot of fun putting them together and I'll add your list to my growing list of topics.  (Jim Evans will be on soon... just working out a date for the interview).

Kind of born out of the idea that we do so much driving around to games, these might be good to listen to on the road instead of sports talk or music.  Can't do anything about my voice, but I try to mix in some music and clips to break it up. :)

If you have other suggestions or comments, please don't hesitate to let me know.

--Chris

UmpTalk.com

• Like 4

Chris, I've thought it'd be great on those long drives to have parts of the rule book on audio.  Perhaps an NCAA DH rule on audio, or casebook plays, or NFHS base awards.  10 minute snippets that we could listen to over and over again to learn better.

I think that'd be great as well - only problem is that I'm certainly not an "expert" at the rulebook to the point where I'd want my interpretation as part of this catalog.  (For instance, if I did a show on "Obstruction" part of that would include the actual rule (in the multiple places it exists), but I'd be leery to throw my $.02 on interpretation - UNLESS I have a rules expert on with me - which I'm working on.

However, I love the idea of recording snippets of rules.  The obstruction rule, NCAA DH Rule, the new MLB Instant Replay rule would probably hit a wide audience as well - on audio for review.  Not sure people would use it as a reference, but people love books on tape.

I'll give it a try!  Thanks for the suggestion.

(As far as casebook plays go, those damn things were always so confusing to me - I'd rather just read the rule!! R1 takes off for 2B, but a Pelican (P1) flies in and hits the runner in the helmet (H1). Is this Obstruction?)

(As far as casebook plays go, those damn things were always so confusing to me - I'd rather just read the rule!! R1 takes off for 2B, but a Pelican (P1) flies in and hits the runner in the helmet (H1). Is this Obstruction?)

Not covered in the rules, so it falls under the "God Rule." I'd probably just send him back - a do-over. Of course, if H1 fell off R1's head, then I have no choice but to give a team warning.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...