New "unwritten rules" show

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3740 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just a heads up...

MLB Network will be airing a show callled "MLB 2013: Unwritten Rules" today at 11pm PST (please adjust for your time zone and check your local listings just to make sure.)

the synopsis says:

"MLB Network's Bob Costas, Jim Kaat, Harold Reynolds, and Tom Verducci discuss retaliation, on-field celebrations, bunting during no hitters, stealing signs, and how these rules have changed in the last 50 years."

This could actually be really fun. Just wish we could get an umpire on MLB Network because the umpire point of view on a few of these topics could be very interesting.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why umpires would want to be near Costas.  He makes some of the dumbest statements of most announcers, not all (He who shall not be named is still at the top of the list IMO mainly b/c he played and still has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to rules).  Also, some of his views of everything he talks about are a little out there IMO.

I don't understand why umpires would want to be near Costas.  He makes some of the dumbest statements of most announcers, not all (He who shall not be named is still at the top of the list IMO mainly b/c he played and still has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to rules).  Also, some of his views of everything he talks about are a little out there IMO.

Joe Morgan says hello...

Umpires in Studio 42 with Bob Costas will air in MLB Network 12/30/2013 from 1:00pm to 2:00pm EST.

That's from 2009 . . Jeff - via Tapatalkstill a really good episode.I taped it anyhow!:DJeff - via Tapatalk

reminds me that I too should set it up.... AND done!

Umpires in Studio 42 with Bob Costas will air in MLB Network 12/30/2013 from 1:00pm to 2:00pm EST.
That's from 2009 . . Jeff - via Tapatalk

still a really good episode.

I taped it anyhow! :D

Jeff - via Tapatalk

I've got it on a flash drive...

Just watched Studio 42 - Umpires......really good episode.   I wish they could get some current umps on there and talk about more recent games though. 

Interesting to hear that all 3 of the guests said they had NEVER admitted to a catcher that they missed a pitch.   One even mentioned that you lose credibility.  I don't know about that.....I would think you gain some credibility if you're able to admit you're human and that you missed one.   

What's your view of this?   Do you think it's bad form or is it ok to tell a catcher you missed that pitch? 

I have no problem telling an F2 that has been doing good work for you that you might hace just missed one. But only one. Any more then that it could become an issue.

Remember, these three worked in a different time then we do. It was them against everyone else and they lived and died with the call much more than we do now.

Jeff - via Tapatalk

VHS or Beta?

• Like 1

I would agree with @BT_Blue, especially when you consider the work F2 has done. I'd never admit it in a sub-Varsity game, and only in one where F2's been doing a great job. I also wouldn't do it immediately, but would probably wait until he comes out the next inning: "Hey, John, I missed that pitch last inning." If I have to remind him which pitch, then it wasn't a good idea to bring it up.

Jeff - via Tapatalk

I've got it on a flash drive...

Yeah but there is no screen on the flash drive!!!