Smitty Half-zip vs. Full Zip

catcher
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3711 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm looking to purchase a jacket and I'm trying to decide between the Smitty half-zip and the full zip. I've decided against the Majestic because most umpires around here don't wear it and I'm worried that it'll look bad because its such a different color and has a different stripe pattern.

So: is there any difference between the Smitty half-zip and full-zip that would justify the $20 more for the full-zip? (And please don't say the zipper.)

if you've ever seen games in Boston (example) in the fall or early spring, they are wearing the heavy jackets for cold weather. But if you were somewhere like the midwest where its a little warmer, they would just wear the half zip windbreaker

I'm looking to purchase a jacket and I'm trying to decide between the Smitty half-zip and the full zip. I've decided against the Majestic because most umpires around here don't wear it and I'm worried that it'll look bad because its such a different color and has a different stripe pattern.

So: is there any difference between the Smitty half-zip and full-zip that would justify the $20 more for the full-zip? (And please don't say the zipper.)

How warm do you want to be? Bought a Therma-Base last year and that was awesome for late March/early April and then fall ball. I have a Smitty pull-over for those in a between days when it is cool and damp.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you are worried about the Majestic standing out don't. I have both the Smitty and the Majestic and you can barely tell the different other than the logos and what not. The stripes look almost identical if you get the black and white stripped jackets. That is of course for the full zip Smitty. The half zip is basically useless now that the thermal full zip jackets are out. If you need a light pull over wear the convertible and if you need a heavy jacket wear the full zip. 

• Like 3

The zipper :fuel: .  The half is for cooler weather, higher 50's and above and the full is for colder weather, lower 50's and below.

Then, of course, there is the 3/4-zip, made to be worn specifically for games where the temperature is in the mid-fifties.

• Like 1

The zipper :fuel: .  The half is for cooler weather, higher 50's and above and the full is for colder weather, lower 50's and below.

Then, of course, there is the 3/4-zip, made to be worn specifically for games where the temperature is in the mid-fifties.

So the rule of thumb is...

Then length of zip is inversely proportional to the temperature.

• Like 2

Or.... the further down the zipper goes, the further down the temperature goes:)

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll be ordering the full zip from purchase officials (anyone have any experience with them?)

Or.... the further down the zipper goes, the further down the temperature goes:)

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll be ordering the full zip from purchase officials (anyone have any experience with them?)

PO is the official supplier for PIAA. I have had some minor issues and as such only purchase PIAA required items.

Who cares?

If MLB wanted it stopped they would and could. This is just PR stuff. It's just like politics. It means nothing accept to the media who get to fill some space with it.[/qu

Who cares?If MLB wanted it stopped they would and could. This is just PR stuff. It's just like politics. It means nothing accept to the media who get to fill some space with it.

Actually, in certain situations, I have found the opposite to be true. ;)Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I feel this went to the wrong place.

Who cares?If MLB wanted it stopped they would and could. This is just PR stuff. It's just like politics. It means nothing accept to the media who get to fill some space with it.
Actually, in certain situations, I have found the opposite to be true. ;)Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Stoopid Tapatalk. Can't delete a post?

Actually, in certain situations, I have found the opposite to be true. ;)Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk I feel this went to the wrong place. Yeah...I'm trying to figure out how this quote got in this topic? Larry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Actually, in certain situations, I have found the opposite to be true. ')

It was supposed to go here.... Make a little more sense?

You would be correct...

• 1 month later...

Hey... One last question. How does the Honigs K17 pullover compare to the Smitty half zip?

It doesn't…If it says "Honig's" then it is way better.  Quality Control is much better at Honig's, hence the prices at Smitty.  Before everyone piles on, let me disclose the fact that I own many Smitty products.  However, they are no martyr!  They can sell at a more affordable price because they make it more affordably-by skimping in areas that affect quality.  It is just business. 

Hey... One last question. How does the Honigs K17 pullover compare to the Smitty half zip?

It doesn't…If it says "Honig's" then it is way better.  Quality Control is much better at Honig's, hence the prices at Smitty.  Before everyone piles on, let me disclose the fact that I own many Smitty products.  However, they are no martyr!  They can sell at a more affordable price because they make it more affordably-by skimping in areas that affect quality.  It is just business. 

I'll disagree with Smitty's quality vs. Honig's quality.  I buy both and like both.  It seems like every year Honig's jerseys change in quality...some years they run big, some years they run small.  Smitty's seems to always remain the same.  Again, I buy both and will continue to do so, but quality control isn't that much better at Honig's than with Smitty's.  Sometimes you're just buying the name.

• Like 2

So that explains why our pant zippers are all the same length..hmmmm  :Facepalm: