Jimurray

Have I been calling the wrong strike zone?

Are they introducing the hawk eye/eagle eye/similar camera-related tech to measure the accuracy of LL umpires in determining how many met the 50% mark?

And by 50% correct you mean all calls not just the zone :rolleyes:

• Like 1

GAH! You're trying to teach volunteers! Don't overcomplicate something as simple as the strike zone with 15 paragraphs of analytical gibberish!!
At Strike zone simple? Ha!

I can turn his 15-paragraph essay into two lines.

"The strike zone is the area in which a pitched ball is a strike. It is a rectangular cube that extends from the armpits to the top of the knees vertically (LL) and across the plane of home plate horizontally. A ball need only have the tiniest bit (one stitch) enter this cube to be adjudged a strike." 

Now, what makes more sense and is more practical to a volunteer dad or 16 year old rookie, his essay or my two lines? Comparatively, mine looks pretty damn simple. :D

Since we're being technical b/c of the OP, that is 3 lines.  So, even yours is wrong now.  And, the OP proves it.  :hopmad:

Coach - In my "professional" opinion, that pitch qualified as a strike as defined in the rule book (pick a rule set).  Therefore I deemed it a strike and all further discussion regarding said rendered decision shall be terminated unless you wish to no longer participate in today's festivities.

In other words, its a strike because I SAID it is a strike.

• Like 1

GAH! You're trying to teach volunteers! Don't overcomplicate something as simple as the strike zone with 15 paragraphs of analytical gibberish!!
At Strike zone simple? Ha!

I can turn his 15-paragraph essay into two lines.

"The strike zone is the area in which a pitched ball is a strike. It is a rectangular cube that extends from the armpits to the top of the knees vertically (LL) and across the plane of home plate horizontally. A ball need only have the tiniest bit (one stitch) enter this cube to be adjudged a strike." 

Now, what makes more sense and is more practical to a volunteer dad or 16 year old rookie, his essay or my two lines? Comparatively, mine looks pretty damn simple. :D

Since we're being technical b/c of the OP, that is 3 lines.  So, even yours is wrong now.  And, the OP proves it.  :hopmad:

50% of mine, when quoted, comes out to two lines. :P   :smachhead:  :kissass:

The OP's quote was edited today to say:

"Let’s talk about the ball first. A strike shall be called whenever any part of the ball, not necessarily the whole ball, travels through any part of the strike zone. A ball that travels along the side of the plate and any part of that ball travels inside the vertical plane of the side of the plate is a strike."

The OP's quote was edited today to say:

"Let’s talk about the ball first. A strike shall be called whenever any part of the ball, not necessarily the whole ball, travels through any part of the strike zone. A ball that travels along the side of the plate and any part of that ball travels inside the vertical plane of the side of the plate is a strike."

haha..So the statement has gone from a "WTF?" to "No $hi#."   :D

• Like 4

Does anyone else ever wonder if some people put out sff like this just to get everyone riled up?

Absolutely. :fuel:  I think that's what happened here and it worked pretty well.