tjwoelfel13

Ejection advice.

I had a Kindergarten game/ coach pitch. again at Oregon Trail earlier this year. 

top 3 with r2 and r1.  Groundball to short and the ss overthrew the f3 and the ball rolled under the fence.  At this level runners may not advance on an overthrow except when the ball leaves the field and then they get two bases judging from where they are in relation to when the fielder releases the throw. In this case the r2 scored, r1 to third, and b/r to second. 

After the call, the Defensive HC and two of his ACs run toward me and my partner yelling at us. I immediately send his two ACs back to the dugout and the head coach keeps on yelling to actually read the rule book for once. This promptly earns him a warning and revokes the explanation.

The next inning I notice that this same coach is not touching the pitchers plate. I kindly ask him to pitch from the rubber. He either ignores me or  didn't hear me.

The next pitch he does it again. This time I say it a little louder.

By the third time, I finally had enough and issue a warning that if he doesn't pitch from the rubber he will be removed from the pitching duties.

Normally in most little leagues this is an illegal pitch but my league has the umpires remove the pitching coach from the pitching duty after a warning or two. The removed coaches can still coach but may not pitch.

He places his foot on the rubber and says, " Are you damn happy". 

I know I should have tossed him but I clammed up. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

How could I have handled this better?

How much rope should I give a coach that acts like this?

Yeah I'm getting an ejection when he starts yelling to read the rulebook, maybe even sooner depending on how he came out and how he was yelling. When a coach acts like that I only give him enough rope to hang him self with it. That is depending on the level of course. In a coach pitch game I'm not gunna put up with anything like that at all, but as the level increases I'll give a little more leash because quite frankly it isn't going to happen as often as you progress into higher level baseball. I think the way you handled sending the AC off was probably the best way to handle that, of course that is depending on how they came out and how they were yelling. As for the HC if he's yelling and screaming like that to the point that I can't interject and get him back to his dugout before he makes the comments about reading the rulebook then I'm going to tell him "we are done here, end of discussion, go back to your dugout." At which point he probably isn't going to conform to my demands given the level of ball and then I'm going to turn around and hustle to where I need to be on the field. Just remember every situation is different and you have to be able to feel where the line is and know when it's been crossed. Once it's been crossed eject and move on. Also keep in mind that the level of play will dictate how a situation is handled. What I allow in a college game isn't the same as what I would allow in a HS game, Select game, or (if I somehow am forced into a LL game) what I would allow in a LL game. 

• Like 2

There are 2 schools of thought here.

1. These coaches dont have a clue. Take the opportunity to be a calm voice of reason and instruct them in proper game managememt and field ettiquette. Depending on the league (if you called this league regularly, and would be seeing these coaches for a whole season) I can see the logic. Sort of.

2. These coaches dont have a clue. Dont put up with ANYTHING. Dont have a quick ej trigger, but dont give any leash.

Im in the latter

• Like 4

First you have to decide if working under these circumstances is acceptable to you...do you need the money? If you don't need the money from this gig, I would go for a harder approach with these daddy coaches. Warn once and then eject every time they misbehave. If it comes to a head between the league/coaches/umpires this might be a good thing. Explain that these coaches are out of control, possess no rational perspective and their behavior is unacceptable. And that the ejections will continue whenever they behave unacceptably.

If instead they dismiss you from your duties, do not feel bad...consider it a promotion. You don't have to put up with that crap. If you think that you like the umpiring hobby, there probably are other opportunities to work in your area, you just need to do a little legwork and find them. These other opprotunities probably have better training and are stronger with repect to backing the umpires.

• Like 1

- Good job sending the two AC's back right away

- In a KINDERGARTEN game, I'm ejecting the HC immediately when he mentions the rule book

- When the coach isn't touching the plate, I don't like ignoring it as the pitch occurs. If they don't want you calling it an illegal pitch, when it happens call out "No pitch! No pitch!" and don't let anything occur. Tell the coach he needs to pitch from the pitcher's plate. That puts all eyes on him, and everyone knows there is a problem.

- ANY swear word is an auto toss for coaches at that age

- In Coach Pitch games, 95% of the kids have no idea what they're doing. They won't remember the score or results of any game. In fact, they probably won't even know it to begin with. But they will remember these incidents... And THAT will stick with them, especially if the behavior is allowed to occur. Part of that is on the league's shoulders, but you CAN have a part. By ejecting the "adults" with a near zero tolerance level, you show that the behavior is absolutely unacceptable. And doing that when the kids are 6 or 7 could save you from more headaches when they're 10, 14, 18, so on.

Good luck with that league, sounds like you need it!!

• Like 2

- In a KINDERGARTEN game, I'm ejecting the HC immediately when he mentions the rule book

- When the coach isn't touching the plate, I don't like ignoring it as the pitch occurs. If they don't want you calling it an illegal pitch, when it happens call out "No pitch! No pitch!" and don't let anything occur. Tell the coach he needs to pitch from the pitcher's plate. That puts all eyes on him, and everyone knows there is a problem.

- In Coach Pitch games, 95% of the kids have no idea what they're doing. They won't remember the score or results of any game. In fact, they probably won't even know it to begin with. But they will remember these incidents... And THAT will stick with them, especially if the behavior is allowed to occur. Part of that is on the league's shoulders, but you CAN have a part. By ejecting the "adults" with a near zero tolerance level, you show that the behavior is absolutely unacceptable. And doing that when the kids are 6 or 7 could save you from more headaches when they're 10, 14, 18, so on.

I would not take the AC's darting out onto the field lightly.  That is something that needs to be reported and addressed through your supervisor and the league.

I agree that calling out the illegal pitch is the ticket, the coach really has no rebuttal then.  Call it, explain it, and then turn your back to him if need be.  

I would not take the AC's darting out onto the field lightly.  That is something that needs to be reported and addressed through your supervisor and the league.

I agree that calling out the illegal pitch is the ticket, the coach really has no rebuttal then.  Call it, explain it, and then turn your back to him if need be.  

I agree. I wouldn't eject if they immediately went back to the dugout as they did in the OP, but it is definitely something I would mention in the head coach's ejection report.

I had a Kindergarten game/ coach pitch. again at Oregon Trail earlier this year. 

top 3 with r2 and r1.  Groundball to short and the ss overthrew the f3 and the ball rolled under the fence.  At this level runners may not advance on an overthrow except when the ball leaves the field and then they get two bases judging from where they are in relation to when the fielder releases the throw. In this case the r2 scored, r1 to third, and b/r to second. 

After the call, the Defensive HC and two of his ACs run toward me and my partner yelling at us. I immediately send his two ACs back to the dugout and the head coach keeps on yelling to actually read the rule book for once. This promptly earns him a warning and revokes the explanation.

The next inning I notice that this same coach is not touching the pitchers plate. I kindly ask him to pitch from the rubber. He either ignores me or  didn't hear me.

The next pitch he does it again. This time I say it a little louder.

By the third time, I finally had enough and issue a warning that if he doesn't pitch from the rubber he will be removed from the pitching duties.

Normally in most little leagues this is an illegal pitch but my league has the umpires remove the pitching coach from the pitching duty after a warning or two. The removed coaches can still coach but may not pitch.

He places his foot on the rubber and says, " Are you damn happy". 

I know I should have tossed him but I clammed up. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

How could I have handled this better?

How much rope should I give a coach that acts like this?

WTF is wrong with these jackwagons?

As a wise member of this board once said..... Eject early to eject less

It seems that you may be in a spot that just plain doesn't get it. If these types of things are common occurances, I'm involving the board. Have them hold a meeting with all people involved on how proper game management and etiquette actually is.

Unfortunately, I've too been in this situation, and the board is as about as coherent as the coaches and don't do anything. If this is the case, here's my suggestion:

Study up on here.

Wear a uniform (if you don't already).

Treat a game like any person here in a civilized environment does, including for ejections.

They won't like it, and will call you crazy, but you may be the one good sheriff to turn the whole corrupt county around.

Good luck!

Send the assts back as you did. If they go, fine. Try to talk the manager off the ledge but if he gets to the rule book reference, dump him.<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Agreed on all points. If you arent ejecting for the rulebook comment, then you definitely need to eject for the comment on the mound.

COACH PITCH GAMES SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONAL, NOT COMPETITIVE AND SHOULDN'T HAVE AN UMPIRE!!  :2cents:

• Like 2

COACH PITCH GAMES SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONAL, NOT COMPETATIVE AND SHOULDN'T HAVE AN UMPIRE!!  :2cents:

*COMPETITIVE 

;)

Talk about plot twist, Kevin you just got a ticket from the grammar police  :wave:  :smachhead:

COACH PITCH GAMES SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONAL, NOT COMPETATIVE AND SHOULDN'T HAVE AN UMPIRE!!  :2cents:

Aside from the findings of the grammar/spelling police, KLAH316 hit the nail on the head! These kids are just learning to swing a bat, throw and catch a ball, and run the bases in the right direction. No umpires needed, just coaches that "get it".

2 Words:

SEE YA!....

Unreal that this is the garbage that goes on in a KINDERGARTEN game...Who cares! half the kids were in the outfield eating grass and dandelions the other half are only there for the free rice crispy treat and HI-C after the game! It blows me away that they would argue ANYTHING in this kind of game...I don't care if you were out there and decided to call 2nd base home plate...WHO CARES! Baseball is a beautiful game, and nothing is better then kids playing the game without a care in the world, but 1 douche bag can ruin everything in a blink! 

I was lucky enough to play ball through college and to this day one of my favorite baseball memories I can remember when I was 5-6 and watching the umpires come to the field and just thinking this is great its just like I'm in the pros! What has no place in a game of kids is a coach trying to measure his unit on the field in front of you! :jerkit:  :angry:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

First you have to decide if working under these circumstances is acceptable to you...do you need the money? If you don't need the money from this gig, I would go for a harder approach with these daddy coaches. Warn once and then eject every time they misbehave. If it comes to a head between the league/coaches/umpires this might be a good thing. Explain that these coaches are out of control, possess no rational perspective and their behavior is unacceptable. And that the ejections will continue whenever they behave unacceptably.

If instead they dismiss you from your duties, do not feel bad...consider it a promotion. You don't have to put up with that crap. If you think that you like the umpiring hobby, there probably are other opportunities to work in your area, you just need to do a little legwork and find them. These other opprotunities probably have better training and are stronger with repect to backing the umpires.

OUTSTANDING ADVICE !

With few exceptions umpires (sports officials) are a child’s first exposure to a uniformed authority figure.

If an example is set by an adult of disrespect for this person the child will remember this when they deal with a teacher, policeman etc.

• Like 1

My 2 cents on this one. 

:ranton: There are only 2 reasons to work this level of babysitting, 1) you are working your fist season as an umpire and this is where they start you, or 2) you are an old grizzled vet who's knees are blown out and you can't leave the game. If you want to feed the machine or set the ball on the tee, by all means do so, but this is a terrible way to learn about umpiring. I can see giving 'back to the game', and I have done it myself, but I take NO FLAK from ANYONE when I do it. 

When I worked in Little League I 'umpired' the challenger division, which to me is a much better way to 'give back' to the game. Let these jack wad wannabe Earl Weavers call their own games,  :rantoff:

• Like 2

COACH PITCH GAMES SHOULD BE INSTRUCTIONAL, NOT COMPETITIVE AND SHOULDN'T HAVE AN UMPIRE!!  :2cents:

I don't entirely agree that this age group shouldn't have umpires. My nephew played in that age group and that level have as many idiot parents and coaches as any other level, somebody has to control them. Now, the leash short be very,very short at this level. I do agree that it is instructional so they need to learn how to make outs as well as how to hit. Any arguing over safes and outs, very short conversation, followed by them going either to the dugout or parking lot, their choice. Many of the coaches at this level are in as much need of training as the kids. The kids need to learn how to hit the ball,catch the ball and throw the ball. The coaches need to learn what is acceptable and what is not.

Now, you can accomplish this two ways, have adult umpires or have teenagers with an adult present to back them up.

• Like 1

I don't entirely agree that this age group shouldn't have umpires. My nephew played in that age group and that level have as many idiot parents and coaches as any other level, somebody has to control them. Now, the leash short be very,very short at this level. I do agree that it is instructional so they need to learn how to make outs as well as how to hit. Any arguing over safes and outs, very short conversation, followed by them going either to the dugout or parking lot, their choice. Many of the coaches at this level are in as much need of training as the kids. The kids need to learn how to hit the ball,catch the ball and throw the ball. The coaches need to learn what is acceptable and what is not.

Now, you can accomplish this two ways, have adult umpires or have teenagers with an adult present to back them up.

I know a few teenagers who would be happy with drawing this assignment, and I would be 1) a mentor on umpiring and 2) the adult back-up. Unfortuantly, my local LL doesn't allow for 5-6 games to have umpires, and it's solo work until 15-19s, except tournaments.