2014 CCA Manual

celt62
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3778 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just was on Referee.com and the 2014 CCA manuals are available.  I just picked up my two for the year.  I hope there are more changes in this year's version than last year.  It was kind of a waste last year because it was virtually the same as 2012 with only a few changes which they went over at the regional clinics anyway.

Seems to me the ideal situation would be for mechanics to remain unchanged from year to year.  We've only had 137 years to get it rightDisagree

Disagree, Grayhawk. You just talked about the fed mechanics on another post. They sure as hell need to change those and move into the 1920's. Will you be in SCCUA this year?

• Like 1

Seems to me the ideal situation would be for mechanics to remain unchanged from year to year.  We've only had 137 years to get it rightDisagree

Disagree, Grayhawk. You just talked about the fed mechanics on another post. They sure as hell need to change those and move into the 1920's. Will you be in SCCUA this year?

I'm not saying the mechanics are perfect now.  I'm saying that it would be ideal to have them perfect and not change anything from year to year.  Just thought it funny that the OP was hoping for changes simply to make the purchase of a new manual worth the money.

I'm not in SCCUA.  Not sure I can ever commit to "paying my dues" by working 2pm games over an hour away during the week since my job would conflict with that schedule.  Not to mention this coming season will only be my 4th in HS - SCCUA is probably a little premature for me at this point.

I just was on Referee.com and the 2014 CCA manuals are available.  I just picked up my two for the year.  I hope there are more changes in this year's version than last year.  It was kind of a waste last year because it was virtually the same as 2012 with only a few changes which they went over at the regional clinics anyway.

Are there any changes in this year's book? If there are only a couple, that you could tell us, then maybe we can save a few $'s?

Are there any changes in this year's book? If there are only a couple, that you could tell us, then maybe we can save a few $'s?

you get a copy as part of the $100 you spend signing up on the NCAA site along with being allowed to take the test, the rulebook, and the Honigs coupon.

you get a copy as part of the $100 you spend signing up on the NCAA site along with being allowed to take the test, the rulebook, and the Honigs coupon.

I'm sure it's tax-deductible and all, but is this an annual fee?  This is first year NCUA makes it mandatory.  Seems like a steep price for the privilege of taking an online test that won't change much one year to the next.  The rulebook is a free download.

As part of the CBUAO, we don't have to sign up with Arbitor, to take the test - unless you are in line for a regional assignment. I haven't been doing college long enough to think about that yet. We take an on-line certification test through our assigner (who also uses a different assignment program) and pay the fees to CBUAO.

We can however get the CCA manual through our state group if we need/want one, as part of those dues.

We are required to either go to one of the NCAA clinics or the CBUAO one in Ct.

Just buy the book instead of relying on others to tell you the changes.  It's $20-something bucks.  A pretty good investment.

It's already ordered through my state org - comes as part of our dues as well

I'm sure it's tax-deductible and all, but is this an annual fee?  This is first year NCUA makes it mandatory.  Seems like a steep price for the privilege of taking an online test that won't change much one year to the next.  The rulebook is a free download.

we do what they tell us to do. Thankfully we get it as a payroll deduction like the hats rather then having to pay for it upfront.

Got it today.  The only changes are in three and four man having to do with rotations and initial positions.  If you do three and four man it is recommended. But if you're strictly two man, use last years and save money because there aren't any changes in two.

3 man changes

R1 only. U3 now has the option of deep B or deep C as his starting position regardless of whether the batter is a lefty or righty.

R3 only. If U3 or U1 does not go out for a fly ball, U3 will line up the tag of R3. U1 will have BR at 1st and 2nd.

I was taught and use this as the "twist" mechanic. PU signals by twirling his right index finger horizontally towards his left hand which is open. I'm sure there are different names and signals for this.

• Like 1

3 man changes

R1 only. U3 now has the option of deep B or deep C as his starting position regardless of whether the batter is a lefty or righty.

R3 only. If U3 or U1 does not go out for a fly ball, U3 will line up the tag of R3. U1 will have BR at 1st and 2nd.

I was taught and use this as the "twist" mechanic. PU signals by twirling his right index finger horizontally towards his left hand which is open. I'm sure there are different names and signals for this.

Being that the flyball will be caught 99% of the time, this makes mucho sense.