How Not to Run Up the Score in a Basketball Game

TNCoach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3796 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OK. I am not sure if this is getting posted in the right spot or not, so if not, someone can feel free to move it to another section.

Anyways, I am coaching a girl's middle school age basketball team. I would say we are a very good team. We are a very small, rural school, but we have played some very large schools. For example, we have about 45 total students in the 8th grade which gives you an idea.

Well we have played several teams about the same size as us and some quite a bit larger than us.

We beat a school a little larger than us 50-3. We beat a school about the same size as us 71-6. We then played a school that is more than 3 times our size by 15. We beat another school that is 3 times our size by 26. We then played a school that is around 14 times our size by 70. Then we beat a team that is a bit smaller than us by 69. We even played a school the same size as us, playing no starters (and 3 of them being 5th graders), and beat them by 20.

I worked on conditioning and defense. Our team is based on a run and gun offense and a trapping full-court and half-court defense. We haven't even had the time to really put in half-court offensive plays.

Being middle school, we play 6 minute quarters. Most games go the same way. I press with my starters for 3 minutes. We are often up 20 after just 3 minutes. We then back into a half-court man for the rest of the 1st quarter. In the 2nd, I put in 3 new guards and leave in my 2 posts. We don't press but still play tough man defense. At halftime, my posts are done for the game and my 3 guard starters combine to play with 2 of my second unit. They play most of the 3rd quarter, but in a 2-3 zone. Then for the 4th quarter, my other guard from my second unit who didn't play the 3rd quarter, enters with my 4 others off the bench to finish the game, in a 2-3 zone.

I have trained my players to run the fast break off of steals, rebounds, and even inbounds passes off made shots.

I don't want to tell my players not to play hard. I work to back them out of the press quickly, but I need them to press because we will potentially play some tough teams at times during the year. I have trained our offense to get down for a quick, good shot.

The thing is, my young players get in against the other team's starters most of the time and drive the score even higher.

I hate the way the scores turn out, but don't feel that I am really running up the score. I won't try to just drive the score higher and higher, but my younger ones go in and have fast break opportunities because the other team just won't get back. I get them to tone it down a bit, but we are that much better than the other teams. Thoughts? Am I in the wrong? Honestly, I feel bad that my starters bust their tails to get better and it causes them to get to play a half or less than half a game.

On a side note, we were up 40 to 0 in the first quarter last game.

Their high school wants them playing a fast tempo game to get ready for what they will do.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the kids play.

There is too much interference from nannies and panzies afraid of Lil Johnny or Susie getting their feelings hurt because of a score. Losing is part of life. Kids need to learn from it. Parents need to let them grow up, get the big boy or girl pants on, pull up their boots, and live to fight another day. What doesn't kill them makes them stronger. Though I will admit, going through it isn't always fun. (You are not the nanny I am referring to).

Keep doing what you are doing. You are not doing anything wrong. Let the kids play their hearts out. It could mean their futures at a college.

We had a Texas football team win by a score of 91-(did they even score), and they tried to pit bullying against the coach. Texans told that sissy parent to take a flyin' leap. Play hard. Play big, or go home.

I don't disagree with Manny, it is hard to tell nonstarters not to play hard. There are things you can do to try and keep things in check. Maybe make it more of a passing game, even by clearing quickly, once you get it over the half, slow it down and work on passing around the floor before you shoot. Soften you man defense slightly. You still need to condition them to beat tougher teams but not pound lesser ones. Hard balance. 

See the balance is also that I need 8 in my rotation getting some good hard man defense in because that is my main defense.  It is hard to do that when I am holding back at the start of the 2nd quarter. 

We try to hold back on the break and run some half court sets, but teams just absolutely refuse to get back on defense and we just take it in for the lay-up.

I had one player who played the first half only.  She had 26 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 assists.

See the balance is also that I need 8 in my rotation getting some good hard man defense in because that is my main defense.  It is hard to do that when I am holding back at the start of the 2nd quarter. 

We try to hold back on the break and run some half court sets, but teams just absolutely refuse to get back on defense and we just take it in for the lay-up.

I had one player who played the first half only.  She had 26 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 assists.

I would think, more than likely, that there would be a league conference adjustment in your near future.

A big problem is that I don't see a league conference adjustment because it is a county school league.  The local communities are very involved in the community sports.  They don't want to do like most surrounding counties have done in going to actual conferences that are built around competitiveness and size.  Again, we played the largest school in our part of the state and won by 70. 

Also our boys team has struggled over the years, so I don't see them going to a tougher conference.  The girls team has kinda overshadowed them though they are looking better and improving now.

A big problem is that I don't see a league conference adjustment because it is a county school league.  The local communities are very involved in the community sports.  They don't want to do like most surrounding counties have done in going to actual conferences that are built around competitiveness and size.  Again, we played the largest school in our part of the state and won by 70. 

Also our boys team has struggled over the years, so I don't see them going to a tougher conference.  The girls team has kinda overshadowed them though they are looking better and improving now.

Then just let go of the reigns and let 'em play. Enjoy this thrill ride while you have it. I know you are teaching them good manners, ethics, and solid ball play. That is what a true coach is supposed to be all about. Good job on your behalf!

I can't take credit. I fell into a perfect situation. It is a school that has a long history going back to the old 6 on 6 start of girls' basketball up to its current form in 5 on 5. Many top teams have gone through here and gone on to the high school level to win state championships.

All that history keeps a good supply of girls making sure they come to school here.