Umpire Tagged at 3B

Rich Ives
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3823 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Sox/Tigers. What?  No discussion?  U3 was close enough to get tagged. Why? What was he thinking?

He DID get tagged.

Could that be called Umpire Interference?  I believe that Pena would have tagged the runner out had he not tagged Drake instead.

No way Pena gets him. Turned the wrong way to make the tag and the fact that he ran into Drake shows he couldn't see where he was reaching. Coming around blind like that Pena would have to have been extremely lucky to get Middlebrooks before he got to the bag. I don't think Drake ever expected Pena to turn that way for the tag, and I don't think Pena ever expected the umpire to be that close to the play. Bad luck for Pena, IMO.

I respectfully disagree...

Yes, the throw from Fielder was to the wrong side of the bag, but, Middlebrooks was just starting to slide (to the outfield side of the bag) when Pena caught the ball.  It would have been a close play, but, I think he would have gotten the tag down had Drake not been where he was.  Simply put, Drake was in a bad spot.  Umpires should never interfere with plays like that.  It can sometimes happen, I get it.  But, not like that. 

Just my $0.02.

I never get any delight, pleasure or glee (does anyone really ever use that word?) when any of my brethren make an error. It pains me greatly. However, we need to learn from it, all of us, and the only way we can is to constructively talk about it. I only speak for myself, but I am sure 99% of those who post here get no pleasure from MLB umpires mistakes.

+1.  It pains me greatly also.  Perhaps the other 1% is envious, jealous?  I don't have the answer, just conjecture.

I never get any delight, pleasure or glee (does anyone really ever use that word?) when any of my brethren make an error. It pains me greatly. However, we need to learn from it, all of us, and the only way we can is to constructively talk about it. I only speak for myself, but I am sure 99% of those who post here get no pleasure from MLB umpires mistakes.

Agreed. 100%

He's always too close, ..... watch any play at the plate w/ Drake ..........he's RIGHT ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ....and usually its very close to a collision w/ him ....

Doesn't matter anyhow, the Tigers literally gave the series away ...NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY from the Sox, ....but .........

NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY from the Sox, ....but .........

How can you tell when someone is, in fact, "taking something away from the Sox?".....

I don't understand your question

My WAG...I think he's asking if you need a new washing machine.

How can you tell when someone is, in fact, "taking something away from the Sox?".....

I think he's asking if you need a new washing machine.

clear as mud, .... I'll leave it to Maineac to respond, thanks

He is saying that whenever someone makes a statement like that they are, in fact, taking something away from the Sox. 

I don't care either way.  The Sox or Tigers could have gone and I am no worse off about it.  Now, it's time for the Cards to continue their playing and take another championship.  But, if they don't, oh well as long as the umpire crew does its usual good job.

He is saying that whenever someone makes a statement like that they are, in fact, taking something away from the Sox. 

I don't care either way.  The Sox or Tigers could have gone and I am no worse off about it.  Now, it's time for the Cards to continue their playing and take another championship.  But, if they don't, oh well as long as the umpire crew does its usual good job.

That's sort of where I thought he was going, however, that's not the case at all, ....Boston beat Detroit up good, ...and Detroit played like crap ....its' simple, you must score!  The Sox deserved that series big time, so again ...I wasn't taking anything away from the Red Sox ....

And, VERY TRUE .... let's hope the crew has a great series, and ....they produce another "THIRD TEAM!!" :D

Yup, that's what I was going for Jeff. Just having fun with you really. The statement happened to be about the Sox, but the sentiment is just that anytime a statement starts with "not to take anything away..." it usually does. No offense intended.

Yup, that's what I was going for Jeff. Just having fun with you really. The statement happened to be about the Sox, but the sentiment is just that anytime a statement starts with "not to take anything away..." it usually does. No offense intended.

No offense taken, I just wanted to clarify my point and that Boston gets all the credit, no doubt!  That said though, thanks for clarifying! :nod:

• Like 1

Beyond the comments pro and contrary to the position of Drake, I think a play like this could happen to any of us commenting on here. The colleague Drake (I say colleague because he is an umpire, beyond he is MLBU) called "safe" despite that catcher touched him first and pulled it out of balance (almost falling). He made interference. The fielder is on the field to make plays and may make its by where believe needed, right or reversed, we must keep a safe distance. Question: It couldn't be better raise the hands, call "timeout" and award the 3rd base? Or was it better to leave everything as it happened. I would like to read your opinions. Again, is just an exercise. Could happen to anyone of us...

Beyond the comments pro and contrary to the position of Drake, I think a play like this could happen to any of us commenting on here. The colleague Drake (I say colleague because he is an umpire, beyond he is MLBU) called "safe" despite that catcher touched him first and pulled it out of balance (almost falling). He made interference. The fielder is on the field to make plays and may make its by where believe needed, right or reversed, we must keep a safe distance. Question: It couldn't be better raise the hands, call "timeout" and award the 3rd base? Or was it better to leave everything as it happened. I would like to read your opinions. Again, is just an exercise. Could happen to anyone of us...

As Rich so concisely pointed out, this is not umpire interference, nothing to do different than what he did. It was a busted play by the defense and Drake wanted a good look at it. Catcher screwed up, got there late and turned the wrong way. Next play.