What a night

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3809 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A little back story first not to go into too much detail, but to say its been a rough summer for the Workman family would be an understatement. A few of you have noticed I haven't been as active here as I'd like, I haven't been on Facebook as much and I haven't been able to umpire as much as I'd like either.

Well I'm optimistic that things are turning back to normal slowly but surely. I've been getting back on the field some and if the weather continues to cooperate this will be my busiest week of games since the heart of the spring.

Tonight I had a game between two good teams with a partner I really like. I usually go a pretty long time between taking a really good hit anywhere, but tonight the umpiring gods wanted to make sure that ALL of my equipment was in good condition.

Early in the game I took a direct shot from an uncaught fastball straight to the cup. The funny thing is that while getting dressed at the cars I couldn't find my new Nutty Buddy so I grabbed my Shock Doctor Carbon fiber cup. I got the Nutty Buddy before the season and have been "waiting" to take a good shot with it, but it was not to be. But I'm glad I keep a good backup.

A little while later I took an uncaught fastball to the left chest. Sort of where a peck should be if my diet had more Wheaties and less wheat ale. I fealt it and it didn't feel good, but not what I'd call hurt.

Then the next half inning I took a foul to about 2 inches from the same place. Once again I fealt it, it didn't feel great, but it didn't hurt badly.

Shortly after that I got a pitch to the mask. Then I got hit in the chest and the ball actually went up and hit me in the mask. How I have absolutely no idea.

Beyond those hits, I got hit in the shins, shoes, knee and glancing hits to the thigh and bicep.

I think I've gone entire seasons taking fewer hits. My left chest area is a little tender to the touch, but not painful or discolored.

On a funnier note, someone was tossing some baseballs to me. I missed the last one completely and was looking on the ground for it and didn't see it. A fan said it went in my ball bag and sure enough it did. Then he said "Thats the only luck you've had tonight. "

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow Jax! Hope you are alright after that cannon-fodder.

Same to you Warren. That didn't sound like a pleasant night.

Having a good catcher makes all the difference in the world. Having a poor one tests the limits of ones faith in the protective gear they have on.

For the newer, just starting umpires, a friendly reminder: This is why it is so important not to flintch back there and allow your equipment to take the shot. Setting up squarely is also important so that your equipment if fully facing the incoming pitch. Turning away or flintching can result in unnecessary or worse injury.

I'm glad that Warren and Jax were not seriously injured despite how nasty their injuries look and sound.

This has been the worst year for me as far as getting hit in areas where I have no protection.

bruise1.JPGBruise2.JPGBruise3.JPGBruise4.JPG

Those blood thinners may make the bruises worse then they really are, but they sure can't mask the pain issue. Dude, you get a big yow from me. 

These type of games seem to come to all of us. I have gone 5 to 10 games with out any serious impacts. Then I will have 10 in one game. Thigh hit by wild pitch, forearm hit by thrown bat, 2 straight shots in the face with foul balls. The mask takes the impact but my sinuses get shaken pretty good. Team Wendy pads have helped. I wear bisep guards, which I added to my chest protector after a bad weekend. Took me a while to be able to throw the ball correctly, but I got the hang of it. 

I have heard that extra vitimin C lessons those bruises Jax. Like 1000 Mg more a day with lots of water. 

I take this abuse for free, too. 

Any of your ump associations do baseline concussion measurements yet?

This has been the worst year for me as far as getting hit in areas where I have no protection.

Dang man!

I've had a few like those and I chew a handful of asprin for a couple of days after. I can live with the bruise but I worry about that throwing off a clot. I do have a question for you, was the bruise on your ankle while wearing the System 7 shins in the photo?

Dang man!

I've had a few like those and I chew a handful of asprin for a couple of days after. I can live with the bruise but I worry about that throwing off a clot. I do have a question for you, was the bruise on your ankle while wearing the System 7 shins in the photo?

I sold my System 7's for the very reason that they did not provide good protection in the ankle area. I was hit twice in college games at the start of the season, same spot, and it fricking hurt.

Dang man! I've had a few like those and I chew a handful of asprin for a couple of days after. I can live with the bruise but I worry about that throwing off a clot. I do have a question for you, was the bruise on your ankle while wearing the System 7 shins in the photo? Yes I was wearing those

I got one for you.  Believe it or not a D-3 catcher that never even touched this inside fastball.  Took 4 weeks for the fluid to disperse.  The ER Doc said it was the biggest one he had ever seen.  I was driving home after and thought that my long sleeve shirt looked bigger.  Go figure?  AT LEAST HE SAID HE WAS SORRY...LOL

post-51-0-08316500-1382499955_thumb.jpgpost-51-0-17127300-1382499908_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-18736800-1382499990_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got one for you.  Believe it or not a D-3 catcher that never even touched this inside fastball.  Took 4 weeks for the fluid to disperse.  The ER Doc said it was the biggest one he had ever seen.  I was driving home after and thought that my long sleeve shirt looked bigger.  Go figure?  AT LEAST HE SAID HE WAS SORRY...LOL

attachicon.gifP4070005.JPGattachicon.gifP4070006.JPG

That's disgusting. I took one from a missed pitched and the trainer came out with a ice cold elastic wrap. He would come out between innings and change to a new cold one. 88 mph does not feel good. If memory serves correctly, the catcher is now on the A's. The batter had squared to bunt and the pitcher threw inside after he crossed up the catcher. 

No love from their trainer.  Probably because I tossed their captain for calling my partner a F*&^%$g As**^&*e!  Not only did he lose one game but he never left sight and sound so he picked up an additional three games.  I'm guessing they didn't have a very charitable heart for me after that.

No love from their trainer.  Probably because I tossed their captain for calling my partner a F*&^%$g As**^&*e!  Not only did he lose one game but he never left sight and sound so he picked up an additional three games.  I'm guessing they didn't have a very charitable heart for me after that.

Makes me wonder if it might have been deliberate.  After all, you started your post with "Believe it or not a D-3 catcher that never even touched this inside fastball."

Is it possible they targeted you?

Makes me wonder if it might have been deliberate.  After all, you started your post with "Believe it or not a D-3 catcher that never even touched this inside fastball."

Is it possible they targeted you?

Welcome to the Umpire Conspiracy Theory. :fuel:

No, all theories are put to bed.   It was the visiting team's catcher and it happened before I ran the home team's capt..  It was very low level D-3.  Not a lot of great ability there but still should've had it.  He set up outside and the pitch came in.

Dang man!

I sold my System 7's for the very reason that they did not provide good protection in the ankle area. I was hit twice in college games at the start of the season, same spot, and it fricking hurt.

Dang man! I've had a few like those and I chew a handful of asprin for a couple of days after. I can live with the bruise but I worry about that throwing off a clot. I do have a question for you, was the bruise on your ankle while wearing the System 7 shins in the photo? Yes I was wearing those

That's what I thought, I use them but took a shot that shouldn't have hurt but did. I just bought a pair of used Douglas' and sent them to Jeff to be reconditioned and they'll be my main one's come HS season.